Sign in to follow this  
fishnjeeps

fishnjeeps paint his wife

Ok so it's not quite what it sounds like. See, I took my wife to the FLGS to pick up some paint and supplies and she brought me a Reaper bones figure that she thought would represent her as a reap person. She chose Vanja Fire Giant queen as "her" figure. She lamented the fact that there were too few "full figured" female miniatures out there. I picked up a resin base from micro art studios. It's the round 50mm Shale base and I cut the broccoli base off of the fire queen and I need to find my bits so I can drill holes in both peices for pinning. I think the base will work well with this figure and give it a bit more presence. We had joked about putting the fire queen on a base that looks like Ice so the shale base may become an ice sheet base. I'm still deciding how I'll work that out. So with that as a bit of background here are some pics of this project in action...

The Fire Giant with the base removed...

0127142205_zps57b7b4a4.jpg

The Micro Arts 50mm Shale base...

0127142206_zps59153e50.jpg

The two parts set together but not yet permanently...

0127142208a_zpsfcced940.jpg

As always critiques and comments are welcome!

• Like 10

Your highlights seem to go all the way to white, but those shadows definitely could use more contrast. Also, "The Supreme Commander of the Universe" seems to be leaving signs around your place. Watch out for that.

• Like 1

Might I suggest a bath of some really hot water*, followed by some really cold water**? It might get her to relax that grip on the spear a bit so it isn't quite so... bent.

*really, really hot. like, almost - but not quite - boiling

**really, really cold. like, with ice in it and stuff

~v

• Like 5

Also, "The Supreme Commander of the Universe" seems to be leaving signs around your place. Watch out for that.

I HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO HIS-

err I mean - Yes!  That is very amusing!  Supreme Commander and all of that!

*walks away casually whistling off-key*

• Like 2

If you are painting her as a fire giant and putting her on the ice base, it might look cool if you could make a small depression into the base (remember to wear a mask if sanding resin!) and us a little water effects to have a bit of water running downhill from her, like she's melting the ice...just a thought.

• Like 1

Might I suggest a bath of some really hot water*, followed by some really cold water**? It might get her to relax that grip on the spear a bit so it isn't quite so... bent.

*really, really hot. like, almost - but not quite - boiling

**really, really cold. like, with ice in it and stuff

~v

Yep that's my plan, I just had to get some sleep before work today. Once I get home she'll be getting a good soaking in both hot and cold to straighten her out some.

If you are painting her as a fire giant and putting her on the ice base, it might look cool if you could make a small depression into the base (remember to wear a mask if sanding resin!) and us a little water effects to have a bit of water running downhill from her, like she's melting the ice...just a thought.

This was my original thought but unfortunately my FLGS that I buy my painting and basing supplies at can't get any realistic water in. I may try a couple of railroad shops nearby and see if they have any in stock or can get some soon. I need it for someo other figures i'm working on. I'm still working out in my head as to how to make steam shoot up from her feet on the ice.

If she's looking for more full-figured minis, she should take a look at Hasslefree. They have a good selection of real-sized women :)

Good to know, I'll have to look them up and see if there are any she like better.

I do have one question, I know that resin is supposed to be primed and bones material isn't so how do I go about priming the base without priming the bones figure? If I prime the base first will glue still hold the figure on solidly? (I will be pinning the figure to the base). Or is there another way to go about it?

I do have one question, I know that resin is supposed to be primed and bones material isn't so how do I go about priming the base without priming the bones figure? If I prime the base first will glue still hold the figure on solidly? (I will be pinning the figure to the base). Or is there another way to go about it?

A few ideas:

1. Brush-on primer.
  2. Gesso (basically the same function as brush-on primer, just different stuff).
  3. Prime the mini anyway (just be sure to check Wren's advice about which primers actually work with Bones).

If you haven't seen her, search "Bella Succubus" for a beautiful girl who isn't a bag of bones.  Full nude btw (though tasteful in my opinion) so if you're at work or the kiddies are looking, don't click this link :-)

You can prime Bones, many people do. Definitely do a quick search and look for Wren's helpful threads on prepping and priming Bones. She is pretty thorough about what will work and what won't work.

I never prime my bones, just first coat is un-thinned. Why take more time/effort/waste product than you need? That primer can last you longer if you just use it on figures that do need it for the paint to adhere to the figure.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

If you haven't seen her, search "Bella Succubus" for a beautiful girl who isn't a bag of bones.  Full nude btw (though tasteful in my opinion) so if you're at work or the kiddies are looking, don't click this link :-)

That was her other option. She went for the badas giant instead.

To prime the base first, drill the holes for the pins, and then put a spot of green stuff over the hole before priming. Then, just scrape off the green stuff spot, and glue down the mini.

• Like 3