Paintless-painting of Cthulhu

Rahz

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might just be daft, but the results you're getting, and the videos I watched on this, look very much like just painting with very diluted paint and going light to dark. In practice I guess that's what you're doing too. You're just adding the binder, in the form of matte sealer, after the pigment is already on instead of suspending it.

Not trying to be annoying, I'm genuinely interested. It just seems extremely messy and time consuming compared to, well, using paint :P

• Like 1

I might just be daft, but the results you're getting, and the videos I watched on this, look very much like just painting with very diluted paint and going light to dark. In practice I guess that's what you're doing too. You're just adding the binder, in the form of matte sealer, after the pigment is already on instead of suspending it.

Not trying to be annoying, I'm genuinely interested. It just seems extremely messy and time consuming compared to, well, using paint :P

I am not going to disagree with you Araziel.  In some ways I find it quicker but others either more time consuming or at least more tedious.  But this is an experiment and not all experiments are successful.  I have painted with just washes before and found it easier than this though I lightly blackline/wash my models first and then do a very light white drybrush before applying the washes and I think this approach could have greatly helped in this case as well. 

I'm not unhappy with how it's turning out but had I been painting him normally, I'd likely be closer to being done. Another thought I did have was that zenithal highlighting with an airbrush would have greatly sped up the process instead of the blacklining mentioned above.  In any case, onward and upward! 

Thank you all for your interest in this craziness.  :upside:

• Like 1

I am not going to disagree with you Araziel.  In some ways I find it quicker but others either more time consuming or at least more tedious.  But this is an experiment and not all experiments are successful.

Yeahr, I just didn't see anything that made it "better" than paint if you will. I get experiments, or doing stuff for fun. I just wondered if I was missing some strange mystic reason everyone should really be using pigments instead of paint ^_^

Will follow with interest to see how this turns out.

You never love your children more than when they're unconscious but still breathing

And thank you for that... I just about spit coffee on my screen.  Please consider that stolen.  :ph34r:

Haha, thanks. I know I copied it from somewhere else though, so can't take credit for the quote.

I just found it very fitting around 5 AM one night when my daughter was a bit younger :upside:

• Like 1