Kharsin

Slow in the New Year....

Okay! It's been a while since I've posted, but this is where I've gotten so far in LTPK 5, with Dain and Rasia. I have a few bases on order to try to my hand at basing, as I'm tired of these figures falling over when a butterfly flies by the window... or the 2 yr. old wants to check them out. I've seen so many variations of basing that I'm just going to glue these down, throw some basing materials on them, and see what happens. Wish me luck, and advice is always welcome :)

UPDATE: My pics taken with my iPhone do NOT want to display correctly. They're sideways when I post in this forum. The thing is, they're ONLY sideways in the forum, not in any photo program I have.... So, how should I fix this? LOL!

e.g.:

post-12973-0-55293300-1391033842_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

*rubs his neck after twisting it sideways to see the pic*

Looks good!

I take pic with my iPhone all the time. Make sure that when you are actually taking them that it's oriented correctly. Take the pic with the iPhone pointed up lengthwise like when you are using it as a phone rather than sideways. The camera will flip it correctly and display it correctly on these forums if you take pictures that way.

Ah here we go. Uploaded them to Picasa then exported them. Apparently it's some sort of Forum wizardry that doesn't read the whatchamacallit file encoded in the photograph. At any rate, it seemed to work. LOL!

post-12973-0-65813700-1391037436_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-30008700-1391037447_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-27214900-1391037454_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-38221100-1391037460_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-48196700-1391037468_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Much better! They both look really good, just look like they need a bit more shading/highlighting to make things pop and build contrast to call them done as far as painting portion goes. For basing what do you have in mind? I have really fallen in love with basing and wouldn't mind helping you out by tossing you ideas, tutorials, or links if you need/want them. Just let me know what kind of "theme" or "flavor" you want for your basing.

As far as flavor, I'll call all three of these Delicious !

Really like that metallic Blue, gold detailing, and the Ginger Beard

(couldn't resist a quasi-pun on Ginger Beer).

Looking really terrific.

UB3R is a great source of Inspiration, and wisdom !

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Looks like you have the techniques from LTPK 5 down. Nice colored metallics. Nice eyes. Solid work all around. I look forward to seeing more.

I'm a tad jealous...you have a complete Dain! My kit (from 5-6 years ago?...has it been that long?) suffered from a casting problem on his knife sheath. I have him in Bones form, so I'll have to paint him again someday.

• Like 1

Much better! They both look really good, just look like they need a bit more shading/highlighting to make things pop and build contrast to call them done as far as painting portion goes. For basing what do you have in mind? I have really fallen in love with basing and wouldn't mind helping you out by tossing you ideas, tutorials, or links if you need/want them. Just let me know what kind of "theme" or "flavor" you want for your basing.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I'm getting kind of tired of looking at these two though... LOL! My browns are looking, well, brown! I may work on them some more, or just let them be. I haven't decided yet. 

As far as basing goes, I'm not entirely sure. I'm still picking up supplies. I have the giant bag of playground sand (I've put a layer on Rasia), and some green grass flock, but no static grass. I'll probably also pick up some kitty litter (our kitty uses pine pellets, so she's not much help there) I guess what I'm debating between is it better to base with sand then prime everything, or is it better to paint the figure, seal it, then base it. I've seen that if you seal the green flock or static grass that it ends up looking goopy, so you should do that last. At any rate, I figure I'll just play around with the sand/flock/shades until I get it down. I've got a few bases on order that should arrive in a few days. In the meantime, these two are still hanging out in my rinse glass...

As far as flavor, I'll call all three of these Delicious !

Really like that metallic Blue, gold detailing, and the Ginger Beard

(couldn't resist a quasi-pun on Ginger Beer).

Looking really terrific.

UB3R is a great source of Inspiration, and wisdom !

Haha, thanks for the comments!

Looks like you have the techniques from LTPK 5 down. Nice colored metallics. Nice eyes. Solid work all around. I look forward to seeing more.

I'm a tad jealous...you have a complete Dain! My kit (from 5-6 years ago?...has it been that long?) suffered from a casting problem on his knife sheath. I have him in Bones form, so I'll have to paint him again someday.

My Dain has a few casting problems, but you can't really see them in the photographs. He has a couple big ones. One is by the left horn on his helmet. The area is concave, but you can't see it from the angle. Also, right below the concave area, there's a really strange flashing problem that goes from the tip of his beard to his shoulder. It essentially goes from his beard to the gold area on the shoulder pad you see in the first photograph. Unfortunately, I'm just working with an iPhone camera, so I don't have a macro lens to get the details. 

• Like 2

Okay! Figured I'd finally post my finished Rasia along with my first meager attempt at basing. All I have so far is sand, glue (well, not anymore... the dog ate it), and grass flock from Hobby Lobby. Enjoy!

post-12973-0-56683900-1391800528.jpg

post-12973-0-43447500-1391800529.jpg

• Like 5