Favourite gaming systems?

Baugi

I'm sure I could add more games to my list, if it would help. I  to restrict myself to the top highlights.

GURPS is a good catch all system (I've played a contemporary campaign, a sci-fi campaign, alternate history campaign and am currently in a fantasy campaign), but it requires a GM who's good at setting boundaries and keeping the players within those boundaries.  

Yes. Very much yes.

Hero is the same way. The only difference is that Hero makes a big deal of saying so in the book, and placing warning flags around some powers.

Yes. If you're not comfortable with saying, "I understand that the rules say you can do that, but it would make the game less fun. No.", you should not think about running either GURPS or Hero.

The good news is that the systems (IMO especially for Hero) are quite clean and integrated, and the rules are well-written and more complete than most. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern

James Bond 007 RPG, by Victory Games

- Out of print, but a surprisingly well put together spy-themed game.

really happy to see someone pointed out this game. it is easy to find on the web and is actually really great. some of the game mechanics are absolutely genius (chases, combat, gambling) and the design choices they made fit the genre perfectly. one of the best things about the game is "levels of success" - most actions are not simply succeed or fail but run a spectrum.   i ran a game a while back using google earth for locations and real places as the setting with my own fictional elements interwoven. in fact, i may be tempted to run it here....

some of the design elements are a little dated (tables) but it works so well.

for a while there i was tempted to work up a revised version.

Edited by vulture

Modern

James Bond 007 RPG, by Victory Games

- Out of print, but a surprisingly well put together spy-themed game.

really happy to see someone pointed out this game. it is easy to find on the web and is actually really great. some of the game mechanics are absolutely genius (chases, combat, gambling) and the design choices they made fit the genre perfectly. one of the best things about the game is "levels of success" - most actions are not simply succeed or fail but run a spectrum.   i ran a game a while back using google earth for locations and real places as the setting with my own fictional elements interwoven. in fact, i may be tempted to run it here....

some of the design elements are a little dated (tables) but it works so well.

for a while there i was tempted to work up a revised version.

I haven't tried that one, but Ninjas & Superspies is pretty good. Complicated, but it's a Palladium system game, so you've got to expect THAT.

• Like 1

Like I mentioned in the D&D anniversary thread - RuneQuest. Low fantasy, very interesting take on magic, no levels, D100 skill-based system. I've played a lot of AH 3rd/deluxe, but recently read through RQ6th. It seems very similar, with some new interesting mechanics, and I really like the new take on weapon skills and the four magic systems. If I start running something presently it'd be RQ6th to try it out.

Alternatively I think Legend from Mongoose is yet another take on RQ, but I don't know much about it really.

Other than that, Call of Cthulhu, but that's mostly due to me being a Lovecraftoholic. It's certainly good at setting a mood, but it's more storytelling than mechanics unless you play it very differently than us.

I have a long-running campaign in D&D 3,5 - which is pretty much my system of choice.

Song blade and heros is brilliant (albeit the "get moved backwards" is a bit weird with archers).

I love SoBH and I agree about the move backwards things.  I tend to play without it and just assume everyone gets knocked down instead of back.  Makes the (already fast) game go even faster.