My new paint storage rack

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just bought an awesome rack from Ironheart Artisans but the problem is that it's full and I just ordered more paints a few days ago. Now I love it and would by another but I promised my wife that after my paint purchase I would lay off buying stuff for myself for 6 months unless it was seriously needed. So what to do? Well I decided to make myself one out of some left over foam board, of course my luck being what it is I ran out. Anyway here it is partially done.

post-12082-0-25177400-1421311984_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

So I just bought an awesome rack from Ironheart Artisans but the problem is that it's full and I just ordered more paints a few days ago. Now I love it and would by another but I promised my wife that after my paint purchase I would lay off buying stuff for myself for 6 months unless it was seriously needed. So what to do?

Start generating serious needs and working on your justifications.

• Like 5

So I just bought an awesome rack from Ironheart Artisans but the problem is that it's full and I just ordered more paints a few days ago. Now I love it and would by another but I promised my wife that after my paint purchase I would lay off buying stuff for myself for 6 months unless it was seriously needed. So what to do?

Start generating serious needs and working on your justifications.

Start leaving paint on the kitchen counter. "There's no more room in the rack! I'd get another, but I promised you I wouldn't buy anything for six months."
  • Like 7

So I've been trying to find a storage solution for a while. I had a carousel but it wasn't exactly the best for getting to the paint I need and my collection quickly outgrew it. 

Just recently I found this: 

post-13660-0-59075900-1421801936_thumb.jpg

It's a nail polish rack. It was $30 and its holding 99 bottles. I'm going to get a second one for my reaper/vallejo/p3 stuff as soon as I can. 

A bit spendy, but nowhere near as bad as official paint racks, and having it completely off my desk is a godsend. 

• Like 8

Very nice guys.

I got mine done and a bit more organized. Left side is my flesh triads, middle is all of the triads browns and yellows in the back, then reds, then violets, blues and the start of greens, in the front the rest of the greens and the greys. The foam board rack is my non triad colors, metallics and Citadel washes.

post-12082-0-44230800-1421824217_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have a 5 shelf storage i keep my mini's and paints on and recently rearrange it cause I had paint to high up and felt like the reach was just to bothersome when i am focusing. I see some racks on here that show paint "stacked" pretty high. Do you find that to be an annoyance to have paint above arms reach...

The reason i ask is i am planning a new set up from the group up.

Thanks,

• Like 1

So I've been trying to find a storage solution for a while. I had a carousel but it wasn't exactly the best for getting to the paint I need and my collection quickly outgrew it.

Just recently I found this:

attachicon.gif2015-01-20 18.55.45.jpg

It's a nail polish rack. It was $30 and its holding 99 bottles. I'm going to get a second one for my reaper/vallejo/p3 stuff as soon as I can.

A bit spendy, but nowhere near as bad as official paint racks, and having it completely off my desk is a godsend.

Really?! 99 bottles of paint on the wall...? ;p

I'm starting to think about making a large curved multi-tiered rack out of foamcore, but I'm not sure how to handle the arcs...I can't seem to think deeply anymore...

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 3

Seriously, if I were going to make the curved shelf pieces from one sheet of foamcore, should I start at the 'top' with the highest/biggest shelf? Does each lower shelf follow the same arc (no waste)? Do the ends of each layer follow the same angle (for example, 45*) on the sides to line up or is there some esoteric mathematical formula to determine the angle of the sides of each tier?