Sign in to follow this  
Grim

This Mini might be older than you are - Grenadier "Demogorgon"

So I posted a while back that my parents gave me a box of minis from my childhood.  I decided to paint up the Grenadier "Demogorgon" knock-off on a lava base with some OSL.  This is my second attempt at OSL, btw, and I think it came out better than the first.  I did seal-coat him, but feel free to give me any comments you please - if it's something I think will significantly help I'll definitely do more on him.

This mini is from 1984 - feel free to raise a hand if it is older than you are, and make the rest of us feel old. ::):

post-12963-0-99648500-1391292986_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-56846900-1391292997_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-16823300-1391293008_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-61358900-1391293017_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Nice job on that one and, unfortunately, its not older than me. I may well have bought that one new, I'm pretty sure its in my collection somewhere.

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better, I was three when that miniature was released... 

I have children though.  They are younger than this mini by far.  As are all of my first cousins (I'm about a decade older than all of them).

• Like 4

I had just started playing AD&D first edition the year before, and had two years to go before I started painting minis.

Very cool.  I was in college in 1984. 

I was saving my allowance to go watch Gremlins and play Space Shuttle pinball. 

Wound up blowing all my money on the pinball game.

It still owes me a multiball. 

• Like 5

lol That actually is older than I am...but just barely. :)

Nice paint job, I like the scales especially. I think you could have done more OSL (it's hard to tell, though, since the picture is a bit dark), since I can only see it on one spot on the tail. What I can see looks very nice, though. :) (sorry, I haven't tried OSL myself, so not much I can say in the way of advice  ^_^ )

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

It came out during my birth year. So depending on the date it could be older than me. It only has 26 days to work with though. :P

This cutie is three years younger than me. Probably more like 2, since I was born at the end of 1981.

I'd have to agree with OneBoot on the OSL. I think it would have been good if the light hit his claws and tail immediately adjacent to the crack of lava. But that's pretty unimportant, the mini looks great  ::):  His scales are very pretty. Or fearsome. Creatures like that prefer to be fearsome rather than pretty :lol:

• Like 3

This cutie is three years younger than me. Probably more like 2, since I was born at the end of 1981.

I'd have to agree with OneBoot on the OSL. I think it would have been good if the light hit his claws and tail immediately adjacent to the crack of lava. But that's pretty unimportant, the mini looks great  ::):  His scales are very pretty. Or fearsome. Creatures like that prefer to be fearsome rather than pretty :lol:

Yeah, I actually had to cut the crack in his base to get the crack right, and if I had thought about it more I would have placed it at a different angle to illuminate more.  C'est la vie.  Thanks for the compliment!  I rather like how the "black with blue shading" came out as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was 14 when this came out.  It is more likely that I picked it up '85 or '86, though.  I actually didn't start painting until years later, but I bought the miniatures because that's what you did...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BrokenWolf668
      I couldn't come up with a scheme I liked for this guy, then me and friend were talking about tv shows we used to watch,  and she said Gargoyles and it just sorta clicked. Kinda simple but I think it turned out ok.

• By Rigel
      "So...Xiao Lu. You have expressed interest in this particular carp. Your purse is sufficient for the purchase. Nevertheless, I will only sell to a man with the proper appreciation of the fish, a scholar who can truly cherish it as it deserves.
      Tell me, Xiao Lu. What are the Noble Virtues of the carp?" 

"Truly, Master Fang, only the injudicious man would sell such a precious gift to a fool.
      The different colors and patterns of the carp indicate different virtues, some those of the father, some of the mother, some of daughters or sons, or scholars or businessmen or soldiers.

But the virtues common to all carp are:
      Firstly, courageous independence. It swims upstream, heading into the current always. An indomitable will to face what comes. A carp swimming downstream bodes ill; this is known to all.
      Secondly, prosperity. Their scales of gold, silver, platinum, and bronze are all auspicious, reflecting money and attracting luck. 
      Thirdly, fecundity.  Their fertility fills the rivers; does not their very name evoke abundance and plenty?  
      Fourthly, success and transformation through diligence and perseverance. As it is said, 'the carp has leapt through the Dragon's Gate.' With enough work, the carp may surmount even the waterfall that streams down the mountain. And does not the carp that passes the Dragon Gate itself become a dragon? So too will the man who applies himself become accomplished and recognized."

These are two truly magnificent sculpts. The short fellow with the oval base is from an 80's-era Grenadier set of "Vile Villains." (He comes with a Casper Gutman/Sydney Greenstreet Fat Man and a tall trenchcoated fellow with beard and hat, perhaps a Rasputin figure? All very different heights and builds, which I appreciate.) Anyway, he's the star of the show. Those old minis had some fantastic detail work on the faces. And you have to love his long twisty fingernails. 

Here's more of him:

Dr. Fang was another sculpt I had to get when I heard Statuesque was discontinuing its Pulp Alley line. Very much in the Pei Mei / Fu Manchu line. The exact sort of person you think of when you hear the phrase "undying leaders of the cult in China." Definitely an old man whom it would be unwise to challenge. I had a lot of fun with the gradient (hey, Breast Cancer Pink in action!) and the koi on his robes. 

Here's a thorough turnaround:

The rear wall is GreenstuffWorld's "China" roller on foamboard, airbrushed. Heavily inspired by the opulent color gradients from "Curse of the Golden Flower" (a splendid palace tragedy). The aquaria are of course Chessex dice boxes and some stuff I had lying around. The koi pond is a metal lid from a tube of biscuit dough with a lick of paint and some 'Ardcoat. The lantern comes from the Tortoise Merchant and Drayman.

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Slimux (A Demon Gardener) and Mulch (His loyal Plough Snail), characters from the Nurgle Demon faction for the Warhammer games by Games Workshop.

Glad to get this one finished at last, it's been sitting at around 80% done for about a year.
      I'm really happy with how Mulch turned out, less so with Slimux, I think I just used too many similar colours on him (and yellow eyes wasn't a great idea either).

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Gantrell
      Simple conversion painted to tabletop quality for the big bad for my D&D group.

• By planetmut
      I painted Devil Girl's clothing in Vallejo Black and thought, "God, that's boring". So I added 1/3 Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue to the black and redid her coat. Adding the blue makes the black much richer, and I washed the black over with Army Painter Blue Tone. Her skin was done with Vallejo Flat Red, Red and Vermillion. Her hair is black and drybrushed with Vallejo Royal Purple. The lava is Liquitex Modelling Paste and the slabs are just plasticard. Her eyes took FOREVER to get right, which was frustrating as hell as they're just yellow with a thin black line.

The paint scheme and base are shamelessly ripped off this one by @TheOldGuard, although he/she can do OSL and I can't (and wasn't even going to attempt it).

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)