Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

2014 Year of the Giants contest rules and questions

Reaper contest:

-- the theme is "They Might Be Giants"  This includes the various fire/frost/cloud/etc giants and giant sized figures such as tree men, demons, dinosaurs, the 54 and 72mm scale pieces, ogres and giant spiders, among others. We want to see big figures. 

-- entries must be Reaper figures. Any large figure, metal or Bones, in production or OOP can be entered

-- any figure which was painted and finished in 2014 is eligible

-- the deadline for entries is Dec 31, 2014 at 11:59 pm CST

-- a large figure is considered to be one that covers a 50mm/2" base from side to side or diagonally with its stance

-- there are two categories, single figure and diorama. 

-- a diorama is defined as two or more figures on a scenic base that helps to tell as story.  The diorama may have smaller figures, as long as there is one large sized figure in the entry

-- you may enter as many times as you like, but only one prize per person will be awarded

-- each entry needs to be uploaded to the appropriate thread. Please attach your entries using the forum uploading feature or hotlink from the Inspiration Gallery. We want to make sure they're visible at all times.

-- you may submit between one and four images of each Single Figure entry and up to six images for Diorama. They do not need to be stitched into a single image file.

-- you are allowed to enter miniatures that will also be entered into other contests that might overlap ours.

-- the judges or Reaper reserves the right to remove entries if deemed inappropriate, but we're pretty laid back here and this is just to cover our butts.

-- the judges and Reaper can clarify and amend rules at will.

Reaper has approved prizes in each category:

1st prize $50

2nd prize $30

lucky drawing $20

Image Enhancement:

-- digital enhancement ("Photoshopping") of your entry is strictly prohibited.

-- no clone brush, healing brush, airbrush, or other brush work. Fix your paint with paint, not with Photoshop.

-- no adding or removing background elements from the image

-- if you add a logo or a watermark Reaper cannot use your image in their gallery. Note that if your image is selected for the Reaper gallery, you will be credited by name under the image.

-- cropping, global color balance, and global level adjustments are allowed ("global" means "the entire image." You may not "pop" colors by only selecting some areas for level adjustment.

Non-Reaper contest:

-- entries which fit the above requirements but were not made by Reaper can be entered here. 

-- there is no Reaper prize support for this category

-- there may be 3rd party support for prizes, this has not been finalized

A word about size

There's a lot of questions about how big of a figure is big enough.  The challenge is for giants or giant sized figures.  We're looking for figures that cover a 50mm base in at least one dimension, width or height, or are larger than that.  In D&D terms, those are Large, Huge or Gargantuan bases. Some of the 54mm and 72mm Special Edition and Master Series might not quite meet that requirement but are included too.   If you are not sure if your figure is big enough, then it likely isn't.  You have a whole year to paint. That's a lot of time to work on a large figure and you should need most of it. We expect to see impressive entries again this year!    

Previously asked questions

Q: Is the 30016 Dark Maiden a qualifying model? She barely fits on a 50mm round-lipped base.

A: Yes, any of the Master Series (30XXX numbered) figures are eligible. 

Q: Do CAV pieces count ?

A: Yes, CAV that fits the size/base requirement is allowed. 

Q: is there a rule of thumb for determining the size of a particular base?

A: 50mm or ~2"  is the minimum size of the base you are trying to cover.  The figure should "fill the space", side to side like this river troll,  or diagonally like this gargoyle,  or it can overhang the base like this wyvern.

Q: Those little triangular size markers on the side of some of the images in the store: What is the actual measurement that they represent?

A: they are Bryangles and are 1" and 1/2" 

Q: How do I tell how big a figure is? 

A: I understand it is hard to tell size from a picture. Some images have the little triangles for scale. Another way to tell is by price, most of the appropriate sized models in metal are going to be $14.99 or more, many in the $17.99-$19.99 range.  If you do a search for "giant" in the online store, most of the models are the right size, there are some exceptions like the "giant" rats and some of the spiders are pretty small.  

Q: What figures are big enough to be included in this contest?

A: I'm not able to list everything that might qualify, there are thousands of figures to sort through. However, from the Bones KS: almost all the add on options but the gnoll ranger, the shoggoth, and the deep dwellers (and of course their metal counterparts) will work.  

Q: So the largeish stuff from KS1 is mostly fair game?  The two large elementals, ettin, Kagunk, not-beholder, etc?

A: Mostly, yes. 

Q: What are the rules on nudity for this contest? Post the finished entry elsewhere with a warning and a link?

A: For now, yes. That is the standard forum rule.

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 5

I know that trolls, ogres and even some gargoyles are ok for this contest, but with such a long period I do hope to see a heap of cthulhus, dragons, giants and other REALLY big guns  :devil:

• Like 1

I'm in. Probably with Big C, or the 30016 Dark Maiden (or maybe both). I've been itching to paint her and try some new things out.

EDIT: Also, for the "Diorama" category, what are the qualifying criteria? (i.e. Are both Vignettes and Dioramas considered eligible for this category?)

Edited by dsmiles

My 10-year-old niece has been painting Yephima this weekend and would like to join the contest. Is there a lower age limit on the Reaper contests?

If it's OK, how would we best do this? I was thinking that I could enter her figure in the contest under my account but specify that the entry was for her. Let me know if there is a better way to handle her entry. Thanks!

• Like 1

There is no age limit.  I'm fine with you entering her figure via your account. If there's a reason to change that it'll get posted here. 

Diorama: Two or more figures on a scenic base. One must be "large".  Judges will be looking for some indication of story, not just figures plonked on a base with flock.  I consider a vignette a small scene best viewed from one angle. I'm looking for more in a diorama, a scene viewable from multiple angles with details that can't be taken in all in one shot. 

• Like 2

It looks good. If you wouldn't mind, please add the model number and name to your entries. It's not a rule, but it's nice to know what we're looking at. :) 

• Like 1

Count me in. With my slow painting that time frame suits me.

I have a Reaper Ettin (02479) somewhere in my basement. Could also paint some monsters from Games Workshop but perhaps their trolls and ogres and such aren't big enough (?) or I also found old Ral Partha dust collectors the other day, giant war eagle and a dragon. Good reason to slap some paint on them :D

2cp:

The last time I saw a Games Worship Ogre Army the rank-and-file plastic Ogres seemed a bit too small for this.

But the Ogre Warlord / Chieftan / Big Bad ...what-do-they-call-it-?... Lord [?] Level character was a huge chunk of metal. He'd be a strong maybe. If you have that one he'd be worth checking against a 50mm base. The army also had an enslaved giant which would obviously work.