2014 Year of the Giants contest rules and questions

Why not? I was thinking of brushing up my photo skills for showing off my minis. I'll enter a painting contest for giants as I like painting the large minis. I finished both my giants in January. So I just have to decide on a new one or use one of the two I already have.

Bah. I'll decide in November/December based on which mini I think looks the best so I can improve my skills more. So I'll participate and post pictures once I decide what mini to use for the contest. (I just should likely resist using a dragon, despite the fact those get painted up fastest...)

Edited by Flamehawke
  • Like 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. I can understand that. My original post was a stall as I had no large minis left that I could be certain would be done in the time frame. Then my roommate/friend bought me the fire giant bodyguard. She followed that up just recently with a frost wyrm that I am working on.

I have a question though since I never entered this before. When I do the fire giant am I allowed to post him as I work on him in my WIP thread?

I have a question though since I never entered this before. When I do the fire giant am I allowed to post him as I work on him in my WIP thread?

Absolutely. We've done quite a few contests and the WIP in your thread is allowed. People will also do show-off threads with more pics than they are allowed in the contest entry thread (which is limited to 4), if you look at the dragon contest from last year, there were quite a few people who did WIP and show-off of their dragons and in their show-offs they would put out like 6+ pictures to capture more angles and close-ups.

• Like 3

Absolutely. We've done quite a few contests and the WIP in your thread is allowed. People will also do show-off threads with more pics than they are allowed in the contest entry thread (which is limited to 4), if you look at the dragon contest from last year, there were quite a few people who did WIP and show-off of their dragons and in their show-offs they would put out like 6+ pictures to capture more angles and close-ups.

Well said. Plus, usually a contest brings out the best in us so those WIPs are highly educational ;)

• Like 4

Yeah...WIPs...I'm still on the fence about using Cthulhu for this one. That's a mighty tall order (though his base is done, and he's already basecoated...).

I may use the fire giant king, or the frost giant jarl for this, just to make life a little easier. Though I kind of wish I had a non-bonesium mini to paint for it. (Well, I will for the non-Reaper entries, since I've got two Retribution Vyre-chassis heavies to paint. And if I'm lucky, I may get to pick up a Galleon before the end of the year. ^_^)

• Like 2

Hey guys, is Ape-X of acceptable size? I'm hoping to enter him both here and in the Spaceship Superstar contest. His integral base is 40mm, but it looks like he's about 50mm tall, and a little over 50mm horizontally at his widest points. Considering trying my first diorama!

Speaking of dioramas, if I build a diorama so that one or more figures involved are removable, can I enter them as both dioramas and single figures?

Edited by Slendertroll

I might have to see if I can get my Hydra done along with a couple of adventurer minis. I meant to put him and my charging barbarian into a diorama anyways maybe this will get me in gear on that. Maybe if I can find everything I need to put it together I will put it together.

Does the Hydra count as a large enough miniature for the contest?

• Like 1

Hey guys, is Ape-X of acceptable size? I'm hoping to enter him both here and in the Spaceship Superstar contest. His integral base is 40mm, but it looks like he's about 50mm tall, and a little over 50mm horizontally at his widest points. Considering trying my first diorama!

Speaking of dioramas, if I build a diorama so that one or more figures involved are removable, can I enter them as both dioramas and single figures?

1. yes

2. no 

• Like 2

I might have to see if I can get my Hydra done along with a couple of adventurer minis. I meant to put him and my charging barbarian into a diorama anyways maybe this will get me in gear on that. Maybe if I can find everything I need to put it together I will put it together.

Does the Hydra count as a large enough miniature for the contest?

Oh yes, definitely large enough. 

• Like 1

Hi Inarah;

Your rules state that (Non-Reaper) miniatures are allowed in this contest. I am working on a (Non-Reaper) giant that I would like to enter/post for/in this contest...but it is being entered only for the purpose of getting a (MonkeySloth ribbon)...my entry will not be for judging!...It will be a (single figure).

Can you tell me where I can enter this figure (when completed)...since it is not for competition and/or judging.

Thank you,

Paul (Catdancer)