HeroQuest

TheAuldGrump

Well, the HeroQuest Kickstarter  crowdfunding is in its final few hours - I ended up being pushed over the event horizon by my girlfriend, and went in for the 110 Euro pledge.

HeroQuest was her introduction to fantasy gaming - I brought my old, battered, but much loved original copies over to her mum's house for Thanksgiving.

She still loves that game.

And... there are some elements that I am seeing that I really like - the mummies look like dried cadavers instead of Egyptian mummies, and the terrain looks fantastic.

Hopefully.... I will be able to drag the Anniversary edition to her mum's for next Christmas.

The Auld Grump

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Direct link removed

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is that Hasbro has already similiar games and HQ would be a competitor to these games. I can understand the reason. But it is sad. I think many people who never would buy a similiar game, would buy HQ because they played it in their childhood and for many it could have been a new start in the game genre.

• Like 3

Looks like whoever owns the IP of Heroquest (in north america) could have made a lot of money if they stopped hogging the game and make a new updated version. The stupidity of gaming corporations never ceases to amaze me.

Bit of a mess in regards to the IP -

The name and trademark, but not necessarily the IP, belong to Moon Design in the US.

Whether it would infringe on the HeroQuest RPG (a game set in Glorantha, with a system that... well, isn't very good, in my opinion) by Moon Design... is questionable.

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary is a remake of a very successful board game, HeroQuest by Moon Design is a not very successful RPG.

But Moon Design wants to do boardgames, and HeroQuest has RPG elements, so it would be a bit of a gamble.

Moon Design doesn't own the TM or copyright in Spain, and GameZone is operating out of Spain.

The IP (both trademark and copyright) belonged to Milton Bradley and GW in both the US and in most of Europe.

Milton Bradley stopped manufacturing the game in the early nineties, I believe.

Hasbro bought Milton Bradley - but did not renew the trademark for HeroQuest in either the US or in Europe, nor did GW - which allowed the trademark to lapse in the US and in some parts of Europe, including Spain.

Spanish copyrights are shorter than in either Great Britain or the US - and need to be renewed.

Neither GW nor Hasbro renewed that copyright.

In the US Issaries grabbed the trademark when it became available. (This was not just a money grab - there was always supposed to be a higher powered game to accompany RuneQuest with the title HeroQuest. Milton Bradley and GW just got to the title first, then Chaosium got into a financial bind and spun off a bunch of their titles - including RuneQuest's setting, Glorantha - but not the system used to create RuneQuest.)

Issaries more-or-less went under, and spun off into Moon Design.

Moon Design challenged the Kickstarter, using a blanket claim to the name HeroQuest.

Neither Issaries nor Moon Design registered the trademark in Spain.

But, since Kickstarter is a US company, not Spanish, Kickstarter gave Gamezone's Kickstarter the boot - then GZ had to go shopping around, and after another failure landed at Lanzanos.

So, there is a very good chance that the board game will never make it to the US, except through this crowd sourcing drive, or maybe buying from a Spanish game seller.

Messy enough?

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Looks like whoever owns the IP of Heroquest (in north america) could have made a lot of money if they stopped hogging the game and make a new updated version. The stupidity of gaming corporations never ceases to amaze me.

Bit of a mess in regards to the IP -

The name and trademark, but not necessarily the IP, belong to Moon Design in the US.

Whether it would infringe on the HeroQuest RPG (a game set in Glorantha, with a system that... well, isn't very good, in my opinion) by Moon Design... is questionable.

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary is a remake of a very successful board game, HeroQuest by Moon Design is a not very successful RPG.

But Moon Design wants to do boardgames, and HeroQuest has RPG elements, so it would be a bit of a gamble.

Moon Design doesn't own the TM or copyright in Spain, and GameZone is operating out of Spain.

The IP (both trademark and copyright) belonged to Milton Bradley and GW in both the US and in most of Europe.

Milton Bradley stopped manufacturing the game in the early nineties, I believe.

Hasbro bought Milton Bradley - but did not renew the trademark for HeroQuest in either the US or in Europe, nor did GW - which allowed the trademark to lapse in the US and in some parts of Europe, including Spain.

Spanish copyrights are shorter than in either Great Britain or the US - and need to be renewed.

Neither GW nor Hasbro renewed that copyright.

In the US Issaries grabbed the trademark when it became available. (This was not just a money grab - there was always supposed to be a higher powered game to accompany RuneQuest with the title HeroQuest. Milton Bradley and GW just got to the title first, then Chaosium got into a financial bind and spun off a bunch of their titles - including RuneQuest's setting, Glorantha - but not the system used to create RuneQuest.)

Issaries more-or-less went under, and spun off into Moon Design.

Moon Design challenged the Kickstarter, using a blanket claim to the name HeroQuest.

Neither Issaries nor Moon Design registered the trademark in Spain.

But, since Kickstarter is a US company, not Spanish, Kickstarter gave Gamezone's Kickstarter the boot - then GZ had to go shopping around, and after another failure landed at Lanzanos.

So, there is a very good chance that the board game will never make it to the US, except through this crowd sourcing drive, or maybe buying from a Spanish game seller.

Messy enough?

The Auld Grump

ahhh. Soooooo... Moon Design lost out on the cash ride?

• Like 1