Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

Morland Studios :: Order of the Stick Minis WIP

As part of Finger Lakes Paint Day, my son, Seth, helps me setup the office and transport all the extras I bring along.

Seth received the Order of the Stick minis over the last year for various presents.  Now he's working on them and eventually plans to use them for the Order of the Stick board game he owns.  He loves OotS.

He's not much for assembly and painting but is willing to give the painting ago, so I've assembled the first three after he spent some time sanding down the resin bodies.

I also did some cobblestone stamps for his bases.

Here's the first three:

post-7739-0-11447800-1392004740_thumb.jpg

Xykon, Roy Greenhilt, and Durkon Thundershield

I had to use green stuff to adhere the weapons to Roy's and Durkon's hands.  Now that the green stuff is cured I can go back in and sand it or cut it down to be less noticeable.

More to come after the next Finger Lakes Paint Day.  See you there "local" people.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 14

Those are great. My daughter and I wanted to make OotS characters with home materials (we are already experts in drawing PCs and monsters in OotS style!) but hey, too many plans...

On a side note, resin dust is highly toxic... I hope you took precautions with your son. The moment I read they were resin I was... ok, so no kid's toy, these are (all Yoda like).

• Like 2

Those are great. My daughter and I wanted to make OotS characters with home materials (we are already experts in drawing PCs and monsters in OotS style!) but hey, too many plans...

On a side note, resin dust is highly toxic... I hope you took precautions with your son. The moment I read they were resin I was... ok, so no kid's toy, these are (all Yoda like).

Yes, he masked himself while he worked.  He's 23.

I was thinking of doing some alternate characters using Sculpey or other materials and wires.  We wouldn't use them for the game though.  As the monsters aren't on the board long in the game.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

Yes, he masked himself while he worked.  He's 23.

:blush:  I was thinking like... 10. LOL

We thought the following, for making our own: styrene balls for heads, wine corks for bodies, floral wire for hands/feet or protruding eyebrows. Eventually, some quick air-drying putty for belts, hair (for girls!) and boots.

Everything else, just sharpies.

• Like 2

Yeah, that would make a much larger version of them.  Xykon is 1 3/8ths inches or 35mm from bottom of robe to tip of crown.

If I was to make any of the monsters/npcs from the comic/game I think it would be the "Dragon from the Cover of the Box" from the game.

3185OQwBybL.jpg

He's not in any comic and they made a special card for him in game. 

I was also thinking that a small tray of OotS Zombies would be cool as well for when Xykon picks up minions in game.  More as a status marker to move around with him.

The game is very fun and the panels on ALL of the cards are hilarious.

• Like 1

I don't have the game  :unsure:

And if you linked an image, I can't see it at work  ::(:

BUT we copied (tribute, actually) an old-school RPG cover for our home-made Castles & Crusaders RPG book, in OotS style, and I love it. It even has a red dragon!

I will see if I can dig out the book and snap a pic to show you!

BTW, I never realised they were so small... 

• Like 1

Cool.  I look forward to seeing your book.

Yeah, Morland made them close to 28mm scale.  Roy is around 28mm to the eyes give or take how you bend his legs.  Of course, Roy's head is like 11mm which is about double the size of human heads.

Here's a shot for size comparison:

post-7739-0-64832600-1392069280_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 6

A sample of our "art":

IMG_20140210_201014_360.jpg

They are so easy to do, we have fantasy monster drawn on business cards, PCs, etc... can't find any of them at the moment tho :(

• Like 8

Seth managed to paint most of Roy Greenhilt at March's Paint Day.

post-7739-0-07379300-1394560330.jpg

Sadly Durkon the Dwarf suffered catastrophic shield arm damage and required an upper arm green stuff cast to become whole again.  I ended up giving him a chainmail shoulder.

Pic to come.  I doubt Seth will work on this outside of Paint Day so next update in April.

• Like 3

A little late but for the April 12th Finger Lakes Paint Day my son painted Durkon after his shield arm was replaced by a backup arm with the shield re-attached.  He got a left arm chain sleeve out of the reconstructive surgery.

post-7739-0-70415300-1398104067_thumb.jpg

Check out Finger Lakes Paint Day for other miniatures.

• Like 3

How have I never seen these before?!

Ouch. $13 per...too rich for my blood for a fun-loving thing.

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 2

That game is really fun. I'm definitely liking the minis too.  They really do look like their characters popped off the page and into 3 dimensions.  

• Like 1

I have given them to him over time.

And he painted them all.

The coin tubes are so we can use them for the game.

Right now they are just tacked in with poster tac.

He got 3 new ones for Christmas.  O'Chul, the Monster in the Darkness, and the Hobgoblin Warrior.

• Like 1