Sign in to follow this  
marphi

Aina, Female Valkyrie

After dragons and some orcs & goblins, I tried my hand at Aina. Painting the face was quite difficult (especially the eyes) but I do notice that practice makes better.

I do wish I had a better detail brush (and maybe a more steady hand)...

2014-02-10+10.10.24.jpg

20140210_100913.jpg

• Like 20

Practice more with what you're using.  You did a great job, and Red is a difficult color to get a handle on and you did quite nicely.  The Valkyrie looks like she'd be comfortable on any gaming table. 

Regarding Steady Hands:  Rest the mini comfortably in one hand. and, while holding your brush, place your other hand on the hand holding the mini.  The two hands, both holding something will then vibrate at the same "frequency" allowing for cleaner brush strokes AND make it easier for you to see what you're doing up close.  Magnification only goes so far (and I would agree, even as near-sighted as I am, it helps).

• Like 1

Those poor orcs and skeleton..  They don't stand a chance.  And I stand by my original assesement solidly about fitting any gaming table.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      This is Yuki Onna.
      One of my first 3D printed models.

I kept the colourscheme simple.
      She's a ghost for my Nippon, Land of the Rising Moon, Project.
      WIP HERE:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79416-nippon-land-of-the-rising-moon-by-glitterwolf/page/14/#comments

She got a base from the Artisan Guild Oni set.
      I painted her eyes red, not sure if it's visible.

• By Glitterwolf
      Printed this Amazon Fighter from Artisan Guild.
      You can get her as a free sample from Yeggie..

She's part of my Lost World Project.
      WIP: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/page/163/#comments

• By fanguad
      It's been a while since I've painted a Reaper miniature, so I thought I would post my latest creation here.

I had a lot of fun painting this mini - blue is one of my favorite colors to blend with, and I enjoy painting fun hair, like her braid in the back.  TMM was used on the metal.
    • By dks
      I don't actually have a "Shelf of Shame" of half-finished miniatures like some painters do, but if I did, this figure could have been on it.
      I sculpted Ulf Gormundr for Reaper's licensed Pathfinder line in late 2012.  Ulf is a character in the "Jade Regent" Adventure Path. 
      Although I have painted almost every one of the figures I've sculpted, I neglected to paint Ulf and a few others, mostly from 2012-2014.  Probably it was because Martin Jones was working as Reaper's staff painter and giving them good paint jobs for the gallery as soon as each figure was released.
      Several years ago, I prepped this metal casting of Ulf but then put it aside.  I removed the moldlines, patched a little pit in the handaxe, clipped away and bent the wolf-pelt leg (which is attached to pommel of the sword in the original casting) to make the overall pose a little more dynamic, and twisted his sword slightly out-of-plane for the same reason.

Despite the sheltering-in-place over the past eight weeks, I haven't painted or sculpted much (er... anything).  My painting area had gotten even dustier than usual.  I resolved to paint something this week.
      I poked around my painting area, found the prepped-but-unpainted Ulf, and spent a few late-night sessions painting him.
      The color scheme is the "official" one -- from the portrait by Wayne Reynolds on the cover of Adventure Path #51, plus the shield design by another artist in the interior of AP #50 (I don't know who, but there are several artists listed in the credits and I could rule out a few; does anyone out there know?). 
      The figure has some complicated layering of clothing and armor and gear (but I actually simplified Wayne Reynolds's design a bit for the miniature).  I made it even more fiddly with freehand textures.

For the base, I glued the figure to a plastic base, sculpted a layer of putty over the top (including his last footprint behind him), painted it blue and white to look like snow, and glued on a "Winter Tuft" grass product.  I cut the smallest tuft into 3 sub-tufts because I didn't want to hide his legs behind a big clump of grass, especially in the front view.

Enjoy!

Derek

• By Dan S
      Hi all

This is my first time posting on here.  I recently returned to the hobby following a 10 year hiatus, and this is the fourth miniature I have painted since returning.  I'd really love some feedback or constructive criticism as I seek to improve.

The miniature is 'Lars Ragnarson, Viking', the base was scratch build using plaster of paris and sculptamold and the eagle is from Reapers 'Wizards Familiars pack VIII'.  I wanted to give a snowy mountain peak feel.   

• Who's Online   14 Members, 2 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)