Grim

Scandinavian Contest entry - Sleipnir and Odin

"Hverir eru þeir tveir,
    er tíu hafa fætr,
    augu þrjú
    ok einn hala?"

"Who are the two that on ten feet run

Three eyes they have but only one tail."

-Heithreksgatur ("The Riddling of Heithrek")

Okay, if you haven't guessed by now I am a huge Old Norse geek.  Point of fact, in the SCA (a medieval recreation group,) I have adapted a number of Norse poems and stories to fireside tales, and written my own things in Norse poetic styles.  So when I saw there was a painting contest with a theme of Scandinavian, I really got to thinking.

I don't really have any good Norse minis at the moment.  I have "Fafnir of Kjord" from years ago - I'll get around to painting him eventually - but I don't have a burning desire to paint him right now and, honestly, he's more like "Fafhrd" from Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series" than a true Viking - I'm sure this was intentional, but it wasn't really what I was looking for.

So I kind of conceived this idea to convert two horse minis to Odin's eight legged horse - Sleipnir.  I will probably do Odin also - adapting a wizard miniature to become Odin is not terribly hard... Tolkein based Gandalf on Odin, but I'm concentrating on the horse right now. ::):

My idea was to buy two Bones horses, carve them up, and make an eight legged horse.  So one trip to my FLGS later, I had two "Silverhorn the Unicorns" in Bones.  It will need some customization, but this will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper in Bones.  Here's a picture:

post-12963-0-23052500-1392059116_thumb.jpg

From the side, I think there's plenty of room for an extra set of forelegs.  Rear legs, though, may be problematic.  I think I'll have to extend the body:

post-12963-0-93130000-1392059118_thumb.jpg

First thing I did was some clean up on the mold lines and removed the horn and beard, like so:

post-12963-0-32515900-1392059099_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-57392100-1392059102_thumb.jpg

Next I did some feet repositioning.  If I just remove the legs and paste them on as is, Sleipnir will have two sets of legs that match exactly.  Fortunately, this is Bones - I cut one of the rear legs free, then I immersed it in hot water, held the legs in position, then immersed it in cold water.    This is what will be the main body:

post-12963-0-05547200-1392059109_thumb.jpg

The rear leg is repositioned only slightly, then glued back down.  Let's call this figure A for simplicity's sake.

This will be my source of extra legs, I decided to have one of the rear legs going back, otherwise the other legs are the same as standard:

post-12963-0-12847300-1392059113_thumb.jpg

So this is Figure B.

My next step will be cutting the front legs off of Figure B - I'm going to go all the way up through the muscle and will probably glue them right behind the existing forelegs.  For the rear legs I think I'm going to trim the tail and some of the rear off of Figure A, and have Figure B extend that portion of the body out.  I should be able to use GS to smooth out any harsh transitions.

Comments, questions, and advice all welcome.  This is definitely the biggest conversion I've done yet.  Wish me luck!

• Like 16

Awesome!  Silverhorn seems just about perfect for fantasy horse conversions.  Just snip off that horn and -- presto!  A horse in a dramatic pose.  I've actually picked up a few with the intent of using them as bases for some mounts (using putty to add tack & saddle, etc., as needed).

Random idea on what to do with the "extra" Silverhorn: Perhaps you could turn it into a hippocampus.  That is, cut off the bottom of the body flat, and affix it to a cavalry base (e.g., 25x50mm or thereabouts), and use some putty to make "waves" on the surface of the base and perhaps a bit of "splash" around the body, and trim off the original horse tail.  If you have something that could work for a "fish tail" popping up out of the water, then that'd be great to complete the image.  (Its forward legs are presumably somewhere under the water surface.)

• Like 3

I'm totally stealing this idea in the future. The future!

Hey, so long as it isn't for the Scandanavian contest, I don't mind.  Heck, even if it is, that's a risk I had to take by posting this WIP.  I thought it was worth the risk. ::):

Awesome!  Silverhorn seems just about perfect for fantasy horse conversions.  Just snip off that horn and -- presto!  A horse in a dramatic pose.  I've actually picked up a few with the intent of using them as bases for some mounts (using putty to add tack & saddle, etc., as needed).

Random idea on what to do with the "extra" Silverhorn: Perhaps you could turn it into a hippocampus.  That is, cut off the bottom of the body flat, and affix it to a cavalry base (e.g., 25x50mm or thereabouts), and use some putty to make "waves" on the surface of the base and perhaps a bit of "splash" around the body, and trim off the original horse tail.  If you have something that could work for a "fish tail" popping up out of the water, then that'd be great to complete the image.  (Its forward legs are presumably somewhere under the water surface.)

Amusingly enough, I had that idea.  I'm not sure i can pull that off without the forelegs, I'll think about it.  Failing that, it could be a chess piece, or a unicorn's head trophy (ewwwwww.)

Also, there's a little bit more modding you need to do - the hooves are very clearly delicate and cloven, more like a goat's than a horse's.  I'm planning on filling the cleft and building them out a bit with green stuff.

That a very good idea and I think bones may be perfect for that kind of conversion.

You might be interested in seeing this.

Interesting!  I actually started to go along the same lines, see below.  I'll have to read through the whole thing.

Edited by Grim

So!  Progress has been made.  I dismembered both Figure A and Figure B.  Well, dismembered Figured B and trimmed Figure A.  Here is Figure A, I trimmed of his tail, trimmed down his butt, and took out his... ahem... boy parts.  He's getting a new rear end, he doesn't need two of those.  See the picture:

post-12963-0-72543800-1392141579_thumb.jpg

On Figure B I very carefully extracted the forelegs with the muscle attached to them.  The idea was to glue it onto Figure A's body - the "meat" will provide the appearance of musculature on the body.  I'll heat it before I glue it down to try and get it flush - if I don't suceed completely I can always use some green stuff to fill the gap.  Here are the two legs next to the remains of Figure B.  You can see where I cut off the forelegs:

post-12963-0-07447600-1392141609_thumb.jpg

I also cut off the rear of Figure B.  When I lined it up, it does not sit flush with the carved butt of Figure A.  C'est la vie - if I planned it better I could have taken that into account, but I can make up the difference with green stuff.

post-12963-0-68100300-1392141601_thumb.jpg

Next step - putting it together (bit by bit!)

Questions, comments, and advice welcome!  So far so good!

• Like 8

It's great to see this progressing bit by bit.  (I'm so reluctant to do that myself ... because I am never quite sure I'll finish a project until it's actually FINISHED.  ;)  )

It's great to see this progressing bit by bit.  (I'm so reluctant to do that myself ... because I am never quite sure I'll finish a project until it's actually FINISHED.  ;)  )

I decided to to a WiP - so I'm going to go through step by step.  I'm actually pretty good about finishng projects, probably because I don't take that long to paint.

Anyway, moving along, this step involves a lot of glue.  Just as a FYI, I use the Loctite "Ultra Gel Control."  It takes a bit to dry, but is pretty easy to control.

I boiled one of the forelegs from Figure B for about a minute.  I've gotten a nice method for this - I have steel wire lying around the house, you can wrap it around the piece you want to boil and sort of perch it on the rim.  Works well, and the wire is 24 gauge, so it doesn't cool noticably slower than the Bones.  I took it out of the water, let it dry for about 10 seconds, then used superglue to attach it to the sides.  I then repeated with the other foreleg. 

I held them fairly tight - one side glued on very nicely with no noticable gap on most of it, the other was problematic.  Possibly it was still a little damp when I tried to glue it on, or was a bit stiffer. I'll have to gap fill that one.

post-12963-0-58221000-1392156368_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-37459600-1392156372_thumb.jpg

The second one is the better side.  I then glued the butt from Figure B onto the cut butt of Figure A.  It doesn't read quite right yet, but once I fill in that gap and smooth out the back with GS it will definitely start looking like an eight legged horse.

post-12963-0-61662000-1392156546_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-86036300-1392156488_thumb.jpg

Unfortnately, I have a distinct lean.  Here's a face on shot:

post-12963-0-49007300-1392156492_thumb.jpg

Rather than trying to fix this with a boil/shock method, I'm seriously considering removing Sleipnir from the broccoli and pinning him to a new base.  I mean, I was going to re-base the guy anyway, this will probably make him easier to work with.

Next step will be using GS to cover up the scars from the cuts, make the hooves look better, and fill all the gaps.

Edited by Grim
  • Like 14

This is looking really cool so far Grim, I had no idea how you'd do it, but now that I see your mock-up I'm pretty impressed.

Definitely just remove him from the broccoli and re-base him.

• Like 1

Incredible, another wonderfulness to follow !

Folks on the Forum and so danged Talented !

Sheesh.

Plus someone that writes in Old Norse !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

::o:

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

A brilliant conversion and I think this is just the type of thing MonkeySloth is after when he says he'd like to see people "take something that doesn't fit and make it fit"  Looking forward to seeing this completed.

• Like 3

Looking real good.  I like how you managed to make the extra front legs belnd into the mini as if they actually were sculpted there in the first place.   I would cut off the base as it will just get in the way of smoothing out the GS on the hind quarters and in the way of your painting as well.   With the talent you are showing so far I suspect your base will be stellar as well.

Edited by robinh