so.. CAV:SO

topcyde

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cockpit/torso could fit in with Mitso-Ta too, so its not a lock for Rach. (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!) And I've gotta agree w/everyone else that the guns look nice. My only nitpick - and its only obvious b/c the image is so large - is how are the guns supposed to turn from side to side? The hour-glass part that forms the "bicep" area makes the shoulder and elbow joints just look like they're basic gears, with only one dimension of rotation. But I can suspend disbelief.  ::):

So who is the modeler?

I know I've said similar things before regards CAV, but ... hey, if that thing is produced in Bones plastic, I'm buying it even though I don't play CAV.  :D

Actually, now this gets me thinking to "skirmish-scale" giant-robot combat I used to play back in the day with a certain other giant-robot combat game.  We basically observed that a bunch of our Revell Robotech models and a few assorted "Destroid" toys looked suspiciously like our favorite giant robot models from the early edition of that game, and were pretty close to 1:72 scale -- or close enough for hand grenades and bored gamers.  So, for a local (and woefully under-attended) game convention, we ran some games of "mega-Battletech" with big cardboard boxes for buildings that we could toss to the side when they inevitably got destroyed by giant robots stumbling into them.  We basically made up our own "city" house rules that involved giant robots stumbling into buildings and knocking them over or buildings getting hit by missed shots and various other cases that pretty much doomed any prospect of anything being left standing after a few rounds.

It'd be kind of cool to do something like that again.  :)

Maybe if the figures are going to be made via computer models, there could be some special-edition 32mm-scale productions of some of the smaller of the CAVs in plastic -- either for grotesquely over-sized robot battle scenarios played out in a roped-off section of the game store parking lot or in your own back yard, or else just to have something awesome to paint up and perch in the display case.

No, I don't want to think too deeply about the realistic price point of such a thing -- I'm sure the final price point will dwarf what we actually paid for those model kits at KB Toy & Hobby back in the day -- but it's fun to dream anyway, right?  :D

• Like 2

I think the cockpit/torso could fit in with Mitso-Ta too, so its not a lock for Rach. (I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!) And I've gotta agree w/everyone else that the guns look nice. My only nitpick - and its only obvious b/c the image is so large - is how are the guns supposed to turn from side to side? The hour-glass part that forms the "bicep" area makes the shoulder and elbow joints just look like they're basic gears, with only one dimension of rotation. But I can suspend disbelief.  ::):

So who is the modeler?

I actually think the upper arms (biceps) may sit inside the guns proper. So there could be some sort of bellar joint just under the arm behind the gun that we don't see from this angle. Kinda like the Devastator from Btech.

http://www.exodus-road.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20342

Edited by papabees

Uh, Chrome...

[...]

My only nitpick - and its only obvious b/c the image is so large - is how are the guns supposed to turn from side to side? The hour-glass part that forms the "bicep" area makes the shoulder and elbow joints just look like they're basic gears, with only one dimension of rotation.

[...]

... is there something I don't understand about CAVs / Mechs / BSRMs (Big Stompy Robot Machines) ??

:huh: See, I thought the answer is: together. :huh:

...the cockpit, the "head/face", the "shoulders", the "elbows", both "guns", it all pivots like a big, twin, gun turret..? I thought that was the whole point  of the MECHA fighting vehicle configuration..?

:upside:

Uh, Chrome...

[...]

My only nitpick - and its only obvious b/c the image is so large - is how are the guns supposed to turn from side to side? The hour-glass part that forms the "bicep" area makes the shoulder and elbow joints just look like they're basic gears, with only one dimension of rotation.

[...]

... is there something I don't understand about CAVs / Mechs / BSRMs (Big Stompy Robot Machines) ??

:huh: See, I thought the answer is: together. :huh:

...the cockpit, the "head/face", the "shoulders", the "elbows", both "guns", it all pivots like a big, twin, gun turret..? I thought that was the whole point  of the MECHA fighting vehicle configuration..?

:upside:

Yes, when shooting to the side/rear, (most) CAVs would rotate at the waist, shoulder, elbows to get the fastest, most efficient bearing. What I'm saying is that those big circular gear-like looking joints make it look like the only way this CAV could shoot backwards is by rotating 180 degrees at the waist, which would work, but is nowhere near efficient as having 3 joints to turn with.

Like I said, it was just a nitpick. I know that a lot of existing CAVs' arms aren't modeled to work the way they should according to the fluff, its just that in this case those circular gear-like joints make it stand out more. Just some feed back for future sculpts.

It wouldn't stop me from buying the model though. 

Yes, when shooting to the side/rear, (most) CAVs would rotate at the waist, shoulder, elbows to get the fastest, most efficient bearing. What I'm saying is that those big circular gear-like looking joints make it look like the only way this CAV could shoot backwards is by rotating 180 degrees at the waist, which would work, but is nowhere near efficient as having 3 joints to turn with.

Like I said, it was just a nitpick. I know that a lot of existing CAVs' arms aren't modeled to work the way they should according to the fluff, its just that in this case those circular gear-like joints make it stand out more. Just some feed back for future sculpts.

It wouldn't stop me from buying the model though. 

OK. Wow. I have never held such high expectations (according to the fluff?) regarding articulation.

I guess I am just easy to please. :B):

• Like 1