Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So as I mentioned in my Mr. Bones show off, I painted up Garrick AKA ForScale to be a test run for Matte Varnishing (which didn't happen through airbrush, next time I guess), he did get a brush on varnish which went very well, so without further Ado, here is my take on Sir Forscale (overall he came out well, but his yellow shield IMHO sucks, maybe I just don't do well with yellow) C&C always welcome.
WhiteWulfe gives "speed painting" a whirl (77008 Garrick the Bold, 77057 Juliette, Female Sorceress)By WhiteWulfe
I'm a bit delayed on these photos, as I got distracted by various things but pictures are finally taken, even if there's apparently some dust on them now >.>;;;;
Anyways! Back in February (Feb 18th to be precise, at least according to messages I'd posted on Discord) I decided I wanted to give speed painting a whirl, in order to try and develop a few techniques that I could then apply to my Skaven horde of doom. I also wanted to try out a few different mini holders (generic tylenol, as well as Motrin bottles) to see if I'd prefer something like the Mini Holder, or if I could just DIY something, as my current solutions tends to wind up causing my right paw to cramp up after a while, and maneuvering the miniature isn't always the easiest. Such was partially inspired by the awesome thread @ManvsMini did about custom holders and also a desire to see whether it would be worth splurging on a Hobby Holder with Handle Mod 1.
Short version is that the Motrin bottles won out, although the generic tylenol bottle was handy because it has a lid that spins more easily... So technically the Hobby Holder would be able to do both, AND give me a brush rest.
Anyways, I'm rambling in a show-off thread.... Originally I'd wanted to do just the one mini, but quickly wound up putting two up so I could directly compare the two bottle types I had on hand. I think I set my goal at "finish a single mini within two hours", and I'd say I pulled that off, since I managed to do two in 2h10min... So needless to say, rather happy about that! Oh, it also morphed into some sort of "less than twelve colours used" and "you can only use one 10-well palette, and once a colour is in one, it's committed" challenges too, both of which I was successful with (11 paints total used, including washes, and I sure wound up using all ten wells too). Not quite sure why I do such, but eh, it was for fun, and I had fun, which is the most important aspect of it all in my eyes!
^So first up, obvious is Sir Forscale, aka Garrick the Bold... In Bones.
^And then Juliette, Female Sorceress, also in Bones.
And since I can't resist, yup, all done with size 0 brushes, because that's pretty much all I had on hand back then.
So, I have to playfully ask myself, what did I learn, besides the obvious aspect of a fox loves orange and black? Uhm... Good question. I know I did a decent amount of drybrushing, but I also can't even remember if I used any metallic paints or not as it's been a while >.>;;;;
This guy was to experiment on achieving realistic light colors on a fairly smooth surface (the apron in this case). After several different tries I was happy with the result...then like normal he sat on the paint desk for months. So I decided to finish him to low tabletop level and wash him in ArmyPainters midtone shade which led to a big tied mark. But he is good enough for my sons toy box. C&C appreciated.
So here is my slightly converted Garrick the Bold, using Reaper's Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Paint. I have a few bottles to use up.
I used Reaper MSP Filigree Silver for the armor and sword. I don't like this paint; it went on way too thick and thinning just made is worse.
I know the ribbon is supposed to be pink, but I liked this color scheme better.
Oh, and crest on the shield is made from plasticard. So many tiny pieces were lost and had to be re-cut.
I was inspired by how the paint combination on the Copper head of my Ma'al Drakar turned out, so I thought it would be fun to turn a mini into a bronze/copper statue!
Given that I still didn't have a fully painted Sir Forscale (@Reaperbryan owns all 3 of the ones I've painted to date), I decided it was high time I had one of my own.
Those two things resulted in this:
I removed him from his broccoli base and glued him onto a 20mm Reaper base, so he'd have a pedestal sort of thing to stand on. He was very quick to paint up, just Green Liner, Copper Verdigris, a light Turquoise Ink wash, then careful drybrushing of Coppery Orange.
I had fun thinking about what the wear patterns on a regular statue would be, hence why sections of his base and his right foot are so much shinier than the rest. Because given any flat surface, people are going to sit on it to rest or take pictures, and prominent areas are usually kept shined from people rubbing them.
And here's a couple of pics just for fun, since Ma'al is still hanging out on my desk:
Who's Online 18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)