Black Orc with chain mace (conversion)...

post-11942-0-15395200-1392493701.jpgpost-11942-0-22015900-1392493664_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-92627900-1392493626.jpgpost-11942-0-25754500-1392493595.jpgpost-11942-0-84735900-1392493556.jpgpost-11942-0-98673500-1392493515.jpg

FIGURE...REAPER (# 02321 = Black Orc)...Conversion (removed sword and added chain mace hand)...

NOTES IN REGARD TO FIGURE...I executed my figure in my standard way (as other black orcs I have posted on this forum), but made the following changes/alterations as suggested by a couple of Reaper members.

1. I placed this orc on a darker base setting which is less pristine (Ying-Yang) and more as part of a flowing/belonging into the scene.

2. I dulled down the flesh skin tone and flesh coarseness on the creature.

3. I dulled down the shiny aspect of the weapons and added a slight rust aspect to the chain on the mace.

Please advise...if you like this type of execution better.

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 15
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is quite a change to the base style. I must confess that I like the new approach somewhat better. The mushrooms are a nice touch (I have a thing about mushrooms) AND I LOVE the greenery on the tree...what did you use? The Orc looks SPLENDID. All around VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 2

Thank you malefactus and Loim for your comments/feedback...I appreciate it very much.

The moss growth on the tree(s) was done by using a green kitchen scrubbing pad...cut into very thin strips...stretched out to spider web like thickness and attached to the tree(s) at varied points. I used woodland green moss/ground cover sprinkled on to the stretched web (one section at a time) and burned/cured it with hot stuff...when solid...I used a couple of green ink colors to get the varied shades/tones of green.

• Like 1

Just echoing what the others have said about your work on the moss. It looks great.

Regarding darker vs light looks. I think it depends on the mini and the feel you want to portray. I think the darker look suits this particular mini, although some of your brighter pieces have been amongst my favourites.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you are using as a primer, but the figure looks really grainy to me. 

Cat has talked about his process in the various WIP he did for the orcs, but the gist of is that he likes giving them a grittier and dirtier look to their skin and dry-brushes on their skin to achieve the effect on purpose.

• Like 1

Hi Darius;

Fellow member ub3r_n3rd answered (above) as to my deliberate effort to make my black orcs appear gritty & dirty (with coarse skin)...but to answer your question...the primer that I use on all my metal figures is (Krylon flat white spray)...If you have a better standard primer spray to suggest; I would be most happy to know about it.

To me, a primer is just that...a base coat to paint on...my Krylon costs me $ 3.00 for a large can...I have used the Master Model primer that costs $ 7.00+ for a small can and the Games Workshop primer that costs $ 12.00+ a can...I have noticed no difference in the figures once the primer coat has dried...so I opt to use the least expensive medium.

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 2

I second Catdancers statement on the primer. I've used all the Krylon primers, black, white, grey , terra cotta red and all have worked wonderfully and cost a ton less.

Wonderful mini and great work. I like the basing you did on this mini for this mini. I'll echo Darsc and say your other brighter minis have been some of my favorite as well. Just depends on your topic.

Loth

• Like 1

Hi Loth;

Thank you for your comment and feedback on the figure...I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one who uses Krylon products as a primer (not that I am cheap, but I just can't see paying so much ($8 to $12) for something that I am going to paint over and I have always had satisfactory results with Krylon (although you don't see it recommended in/by many tutorials).

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 1