Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

03135: B'thuhl, Bathalian Pirate

Holy Snikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU should make a color tutorial... !!!

Your colors and mixes on these mini's are ASTONISHING !

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Pingo, I am stealing this palette for my Bones bathalian. It is amazing. What did you mix in for highlights?

Edit: I was so focused on the skin that I didn't even notice that fantastic green OSL. God it's a pleasure to look at your work.

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 1

Still, the scale creep doesn't seem too bad in this case. I have a couple Ral Partha elves that look seriously like halflings when compared to the models from the Warlord Elf faction.

• Like 1

Oh yeah!  That's a fantastic purple!  You know, you're wearing me down- I'm eventually going to break down and get some golden liquid acrylics! I even went to the website and put a few in my cart just to check prices the other day...

Great blending!  I love the striped... corset? Doublet?  Anyway- nice stripes!

• Like 1

Thanks!  Here are a couple of detail pictures of the green bottle.

post-8022-0-87402100-1392565075.jpg post-8022-0-16276800-1392565087.jpg

(And now you can see how sloppy my painting is up close.)

The skin is a series of mixes of Phthalo Green and Quinacridone Magenta, as I mentioned, in varying percentages (which is why some areas look bluer and some more purple).  I lightened it with pure Titanium White.

At times I glazed a bit of the purple mix over paler to keep things from looking chalky.  That's also how I got the green of the bottle so vivid: an intense transparent yellow-green glaze over spots shaded from green and pale green.

• Like 3

The remarkable thing about your work is that up close, it looks like the sorts of textures and blends that you'd see on a canvas painting. Most of us don't have that training, so we don't default to that mode of thinking, which is why your work is so, SO interesting and impressive for those of us that are perhaps more "hobbyists" than "artists".

• Like 1

I'm going to link to tbroadwater's lovely Sea Captain here because it's the same figure with a completely different approach but it doesn't have any tags and wouldn't be searchable by its name or SKU.

I love seeing how other people paint the same minis I've painted.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this