Sign in to follow this  
chris_valera

Who owns Reaper Miniatures / Hobby-Q

We know about Reaper Bryan, but we've never really gotten a good look at the owners or gotten a full history of the company, other than the fact the company was started in the early 80s casting miniatures out of someone's garage.

How big is the company, what's it's net worth and who owns it?

--Chris

www.chrisvalera.com

The company is primarily owned by Ed and Dave Pugh with a handful of former employees now having stakes in it as well. This includes but may not be limited to Bryan, Kit, Matt, and Ron.

As for net worth, I don't think anyone will tell us that because it is privately owned.

And no I'm not saying those folks no longer have jobs, just that rather than being simply employed they are now also partial owners.

• Like 1

I doubt you'll get info on net worth.  However, the founder and primary owner is Ed Pugh.

It actually started in the early 90's, and it wasn't exactly a garage business.  Reaper Miniatures started out as an accounting firm, believe it or not.  Ed and several others were giving advice to various businesses, and realized that they didn't really know what it was like to run the sort of businesses their clients did.  They decided that pewter casting would be a good, simple business they could try out so they could get that experience and better advice their clients.

They started off with collectible airplanes and medallions and things.  They jumped into the market when it was disrupted by the lead scare of the 90's, basically as a sideline to the collectibles.  Eventually they moved more and more into that side of the business.  The collectibles/awards market was drying up while the fantasy market increased.

Source:

Gamerati has more interviews with Reaper employees that can give you even more information on the company.

• Like 7

I think most folks who've been here for any length of time know Reapers history. However for those who don't, Wikipedia gives a brief rundown of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_Miniatures

And if you're really really interested about the faces behind Reaper... Check out YouTube for videos and interviews with some of the Reaperfolk. There's a number of them out there.

And yep to what the others said. As a private company there's going to be some info not available to the public... Like ReaperBryans hat size. :;):

EDIT:Ninja'd by JM

Edited by Darsc Zacal

And the truth is, you may not know as much about ReaperBryan as you think. 

You still have to get him pretty soused before he'll even talk about the "noodle incident," that one night in Prague.

*shudder*

• Like 2

We do not talk about noodles, Prague, or Schnauzers.

Reaper is privately owned, among a handful of shareholders who are all employees.  As a private entity, we hold a vote and can allow or deny new owners by will, in contrast to public companies who typically let anybody with money buy shares.

We are unlikely to divulge our net worth outside of the confidential documents we file with the IRS.  My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars.

I doubt you'll get info on net worth.  However, the founder and primary owner is Ed Pugh.

It actually started in the early 90's, and it wasn't exactly a garage business.  Reaper Miniatures started out as an accounting firm, believe it or not.  Ed and several others were giving advice to various businesses, and realized that they didn't really know what it was like to run the sort of businesses their clients did.  They decided that pewter casting would be a good, simple business they could try out so they could get that experience and better advice their clients.

They started off with collectible airplanes and medallions and things.  They jumped into the market when it was disrupted by the lead scare of the 90's, basically as a sideline to the collectibles.  Eventually they moved more and more into that side of the business.  The collectibles/awards market was drying up while the fantasy market increased.

Source:

Gamerati has more interviews with Reaper employees that can give you even more information on the company.

That is adorable. Who'd have thought?

• Like 2

My net worth is tied to miniatures futures... And miniatures I've bought in the past... And miniatures I'm presently buying... And miniatures I'm thinking about buying... And...

• Like 10

yeah. While I wouldn't mind investing in reaper in a fashion the gets better results than just buying minis, it would be a crime to see them end up run by corporate greed

• Like 4

Good quality, good prices and awesome customer service have always been a long-term winning combination.  I like that they don't market heavily in order to keep their prices down.  It ensures that the demand they create grows at a manageable pace and their customer service ensures they keep that business.  However, make no mistake, the purpose of this is to make money.  People may rail against corporate greed but typically, what they hate is not the profit motives but short term money making strategies which are often driven not by corporate greed but regular old individual greed.  A real investor wants to see potential for long term success, it is the opportunist that wants to see sudden run ups or drops in stock prices.  So while I am glad Reaper is run the way it is, I don't think it has anything to do with it being a private corporation and everything to do with being run by sensible people.  

• Like 9

I invest my money in Reaper all the time.

My shares show up as little things in metal and Bones. Some of them grow paint from time to time. I call that "appreciating in value".

• Like 12

We do not talk about noodles, Prague, or Schnauzers.

Reaper is privately owned, among a handful of shareholders who are all employees.  As a private entity, we hold a vote and can allow or deny new owners by will, in contrast to public companies who typically let anybody with money buy shares.

We are unlikely to divulge our net worth outside of the confidential documents we file with the IRS.  My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars.

I watched all the Ed Pugh videos and they were great. I did not know about the airplane models, but knew the Magic counters were huge, back in the day. I knew about all the Dark Heaven figures but didn't pay attention, but I guess the line has grown tremendously.

I just wonder where they're going with it. Has the copst of metal affected them? it must have, right? Otherwise they wouldn;'t be pushing Bones so hard. Also, the breadth of the line is super-huge. Most stores can't stock it all. Maybe a switch to plastics? Everyone is having their stuff fabricated in China nowadays. Maybe take the top sellers and do 10-man box sets? They said sales of the pirate sets went up dramatically when they included a carry case.

What about the Warlord and CAV? I was an Outrider in the early 2000s and like Heavy Gear, I never saw a game of it being played. Does it have its fans? I'd like to see what the sales breakdown is for each line.

I just can't see the lines getting any wider, it's almost too much stuff to stock as it is. Maybe switch to a two-figure pack and sell singles through Reaper's online store? It would compact the line. That's how Ral Partha did it, with the old D&D figures.

Bones is great though, I can't say it enough. Being able to pick up three blisters for the cost of an old one, makes frivolous pruchases easy, you can easily taker a chance on a figure you might not normally buy. Or just buy multiple skeleton warriors or orcs or whatever. It would be great if they'd release the Warlord troop builders as a plastic sprue or in Bones. The cost of the cavalry is getting to be a bit much in metal.

Still, what if someone wanted to buy in to Reaper? Would they ever apply for outside financing? Could they ever go public?

--Chris

www.chrisvalera.com