Who owns Reaper Miniatures / Hobby-Q

chris_valera

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, the deals were too good for me.  ::P:    Just... so many Bones...  Being forced to trim down my initial delivery and then buy at retail is probably the only thing that will keep me sane.  I don't think I could do a Bones III, at least not any time soon. 

I might take a break and switch to painting my metals, only because I now have significantly fewer of those than I do Bones.  Be as well to get them out of the way and devote the rest of my time to our new plastic overlords. 

• Like 8

I was very disappointed when I found out about Bones I only after it was over. But when they hit retail and I discovered I could still afford an army of them even without the Kickstarter discount I was elated. I'm not to sure that Reaper could've handled Bones II any better other than perhaps doing the sci-fi line separately. 

Any suggestion that the people at Reaper know what their doing is an understatement. They come up with killer product lines in house and, amazingly, really seem to listen to their customer's suggestions and allow that to actually help shape their offerings. That takes a whole lot of trust and a serious set of balls.

They started out as a accounting firm that gave advice to other businesses and evolved into a manufacturing company who sought advice directly from their customers. How awesome is that?

• Like 2

What's wrong with CAV?

And while Bones II was less generous than Bones I, it's still a hell of a deal.

If I remember correctly, CAV stumbled out of the gate a bit...a ruleset that wasn't quite ready, and a less-than-ideal first year for sales, leaving retailers feeling burnt and customers slightly leery.  From there, a couple rewrites, and multi-year delays to the same, and it's kind of languished since.

Personally, I've never played the game...not opposed to the idea, just never had an opportunity...but love the figures themselves.  CAV units have a look, a style, a personality all their own.  

• Like 3

Question about past ownership.  Who is Al Pare?  I've read that he was one of the founders of Reaper, but his name doesn't appear on the wikipedia page regarding Reaper.

No idea, I suspect that his portion was bought out by Ed and Dave at some point early on. I believe that he did help write the Dark Heaven Apocalypse rules though.

Here is something from TMP about him: http://theminiaturespage.com/profiles/?id=1847

He last appears as an employee in Casketworks 24 which I think is 2008. I don't every recall meeting him though.

And I dug a little further and Al was a founding member and owner and retired a few years ago.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 1

Al was a much less public figure, did not really travel to shows very much (he took me to the first show I went to where I repped Reaper, but to the best of my recollection, that was the only one he and I ever did together) and did not do the forums.  He was very much not in the public eye as a part of Reaper, although his behind-the-scenes contributions were invaluable.