Pivoting to Fire -vrs- Facing change / Pose-able Models

I wondered how many of the CAV collectors (players?) on this forum assemble their models in some way so that the CAV is still free to pivot at its "waist" joint.

It strikes me that the ability for the top part of a CAV to pivot 360 degrees like battleship gun turret is visually represented on all the models, as if that was really important tactically. But I don't ever remember anybody assembling their models and leaving them pose-able.  I also don't remember it ever being significant in any version of the game. "It" being the ability for the top half of the mech to be facing (and shooting) one direction while the bottom half is facing (and perhaps moving) in a different direction.

Being able to do that almost seems like the whole point of building a fighting vehicle in a mechanoid configuration.

Has anybody ever tricked out their CAV with magnets so the top can pivot but stay in place? or done anything else to get the same effect?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

One thing I made sure we did on new models was to make sure the same size "pin" is used for each one. That way it would be easy to switch arms, torsos, etc for those looking to kit bash. On the first "bones" CAVs we did, the pins tend to expand a bit and while still fitting in the holes, makes for a snug enough fit, you don't need to glue them in, allowing for you to pivot the various parts during the battle if it so strikes you to do so. :-)

Your post reminded me of that new feature.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ced1106
      No painting... all magnets... 3x3 tiles. Creators have a few manufacturing KS under their belt, although magnetic tiles seem to be a new thing.
      Prices include shipping to most areas. 

Anyway, watch the videos. The houses look a little clunky, but take a look at that tower in the last seconds of the intro video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythroll/magnetiles-quick-build-terrain-system-mythroll-armory?ref=user_menu

• By Werkrobotwerk
      I painted the clan side of the recent Battletech kickstarter as clan novacat. There will be a part 2 when I get more mechs. 
      Gladiator

Nova and madcat

Mongrels

Puma and ryoken

Dragonflys

• By ced1106
      Guns, ninjas, hobbits, dogs, monkeys, pumpkins, and mancatchers. 

Sure, you *say* you could otherwise do some conversion. But good luck finding a mancatcher *and* a monkey.

Stuff's in metal and cast in the USA. Magnets are from China, but they have multiple suppliers.

• By Disciple of Sakura
      So, here's my Bones 4 Tree of Despair all painted up. I drilled 3mm holes into the branches and trunk, installed some neodymium magnets, and then affixed magnets to the backs of the victims and bases feet of the vultures. I also made some tree canopies out of sculpy and flock, and then set those to magnets to attach to the boughs as well. Decorated a 3" round base with grass tufts and extra skulls and rocks, too. Hope you like it. 

Basic Tree

Victims

Tree Canopies
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      The Heavy Gear Blitz! Peace River & NuCoal Core Plastic Miniatures Kickstarter will fund the plastic injection mold needed to make new high-quality multi-part plastic miniatures for the tabletop wargame. Dream Pod 9 needs your support and pledges to make this project possible. Our initial goal is to raise $25,000 CAD to cover the manufacturing cost of the initial mold and to give Backers some nice plastic miniatures for the game. The next major stretch goal is $50K CAD for a second mold that will include Fire Support and Recon models. And at $75K CAD a third mold with two more models and Stoneheads Badlands Terrain.
      For our Peace River fans we have a Peace River Army Commander Level for a pledge of $70 CAD that includes 1 Peace River Patch and starts with 8 plastic minis (4 Warrior and 4 Warrior IV) to make a starter army of General Purpose and Strike Squads. Planned Stretch Goals will increase the number of plastic minis to 19 (6x Warrior, 6x Warrior IV, 3x Crusader IV, 3x Skirmisher, and 1x Argos). 
      And for our NuCoal fans we have a NuCoal Army Commander Level for a pledge of $70 CAD that includes 1 NuCoal Patch and starts with 8 plastic minis (4 Chasseur and 4 Cuirassier) to make a starter army of General Purpose and Strike Squads. Planned Stretch Goals will increase the number of plastic minis to 19 (6x Chasseur, 6x Cuirassier, 3x Chevalier, 3x Jerboa, and 1x Arbalestier). 
      For players that want to rule the Terra Novan Badlands we have the Badlands Commander Level that combines the Peace River and NuCoal Army Commander rewards.  Including 1 Peace River and 1 NuCoal Patch and starts with 16 plastic minis (4 Warrior, 4 Warrior IV, 4 Chasseur and 4 Cuirassier) to make two starter armies of General Purpose and Strike Squads. Planned Stretch Goals will increase the number of plastic minis to 38 (6x Warrior, 6x Warrior IV, 3x Crusader IV, 3x Skirmisher, 1x Argos, 6x Chasseur, 6x Cuirassier, 3x Chevalier, 3x Jerboa, and 1x Arbalestier).
      Further down this page are graphics of all the Add-Ons available for an extra pledge (including the full color printed HGB Quick Start Rulebook 2018 Edition, a $20 CAD Add-On with updated rules and Peace River, NuCoal, and Utopia Kickstarter model lists sections added), followed by links to our free HGB Living and Quick Start Rulebook pdfs, Peace River and NuCoal background, and Heavy Gear history graphics. We also have Hero of the Badlands, Peace River, and NuCoal reward levels that include a copy of the HGB Quick Start Rulebook 2018 Edition and other Peace River and NuCoal Add-Ons, checkout all the Reward Level graphics below.
      Backer Reward Levels
      HGB Peace River and NuCoal Pilot Reward Level. HGB Peace River Army Commander Reward Level. HGB NuCoal Army Commander Reward Level. HGB Badlands Commander Reward Level. HGB Hero of Peace River Reward Level. HGB Hero of NuCoal Reward Level. HGB Hero of The Badlands Reward Level. We also have a Retailer Reward Level ($330 CAD), to encourage Retailers to help in funding the project and reward them with 5 of the Badlands Commander Reward Level sets. Proof of brick & mortar retailer status is required to select this Reward Level. The final mass market retailer army box will be announced after all the Kickstarter Backer reward packages have shipped.
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)