• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks really good! 

If you haven't already seen them, Wren's threads about bones prep and the first coat are greatly helpful.  I still prime my bones, using RMS black mixed with Vallejo white (personal preference), and it makes them paint exactly like a metal figure.

For ease of reference:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

and

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

• Like 1

I like the bright colors you used. The blues are a welcome relief.

I had to adjust my thinning a bit for use on the bones. I had to reduce my thinning to keep the pooling from happening. I still create glazes in the same manner, but my basecoating and basic blends are not as thin as metal. My working hypothesis is that I prime differently. Metal gets my normal primer with the accompanying bit-o-grit to help the paint grab on, while the bones get a heavy wash of either a liner color or regular acrylic paint.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments!  

@Darkmeer > I saw that Wren posted those threads right when bones came out, but forgot about them.  I've read them thoroughly now, and will continue experimenting.

@Mierot > Thanks for the advice, I will keep working on these, and try out the different ways of priming too.

He looks so nice that I really can't think of much to add. 

A thin basecoat or heavy wash of liner to start really does make the painting process easier.  (Liner is so thin to begin with that I ended up just slathering it on and loved how much easier it was to paint on top of.)  I'm looking forward to seeing the official "Learn to Paint Bones" kit, I'm going to have so many of them to paint that a printed instruction manual would be helpful!!

A thin basecoat or heavy wash of liner to start really does make the painting process easier.  (Liner is so thin to begin with that I ended up just slathering it on and loved how much easier it was to paint on top of.)  I'm looking forward to seeing the official "Learn to Paint Bones" kit, I'm going to have so many of them to paint that a printed instruction manual would be helpful!!

I see what you are saying about defining some areas more clearly.  I used to do some pretty heavy black lining of areas, and have purposely been trying to get away from that and let the natural color breaks form the visual divisions.  But I can see where some brown/lighter lining could be good.  Thanks!