• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit to some curiosity.

Spent a chunk of the seventies and eighties reading Marvel comics, and am familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy concept. This movie contains nearly none of the original comic material. It's literally patched together from OTHER "cosmic" Marvel characters, ranging from the serious space opera of "Star-Lord," to the satire of "Rocket Raccoon" to the old sixties giant monster Kirby horror comic "Groot." Their captors appear to be the Nova Corps of Xandar, Marvel's sort of half-ursed answer to the Green Lantern Corps. That being said, I really don't think this movie is much intended for comic book nerds.

The ORIGINAL Guardians of the Galaxy were a bunch of parahumans from the future, genetically altered to live on the other planets of the Solar System (and thus got superpowers; one was from Jupiter, IIRC, and had super strength due to the massive gravity there). The ONE character in the bunch who might be taken seriously in a movie was the guy who inherited the original Captain America's shield... and he was stuck with the rather unfortunate name of Vance Astro.

In short, I am guessing that James Gunn looked at the original material, and said, "There is no way in hell this is going to pass muster as a serious concept. Therefore, I will rework it into something goofy that audiences can laugh at... and then gradually turn it into something serious as the movie progresses, until we reach a powerful high point, like in the Avengers movie, incidentally using this movie to further the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and justify that shot of Thanos in that last shot from Avengers."

At least, that's what I'm hoping for. Gunn has the skill to pull it off; I've seen him do it before. Whether or not he will succeed is another matter. But I am hopeful, and we have six months to prepare and wait.

I too read the Vance Astro Guardians, but I understand not using them. Marvel wants to tie into their current universe, so they use the current incarnation of the team which has been around for six years. Otherwise, they'd either have to completely divorce them from the current movie universe, or do some sort of time travel story, adding another level of complexity to an already dense movie. Now if this film turned out to be a massive hit, they could always bring the original team into a sequel. It could be anything from a terminator type story, to a defend the galaxy from the Badoon, a Yuuzhan Vong or Borg level threat, to a 12 monkeys type of insanity featuring Vance Astro and Starhawk.

Whatever the case, I hope this movie is at least half as good as I'm hoping, I find myself getting worried I will be expecting too much after seeing all the current wave of clips. P.S. Have you seen the current wave of small character clips?

• Like 1

In other news, a breakdown of the trailer can be seen here: http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/233139/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-breakdown

Looking at the readouts next to each of the main characters is interesting; the "known associates" of some of them are the names of the original Guardians -- Yondu, if I remember, was a blue alien Green Arrow type, and Lylla was the chick with her head on fire...​

• Like 1

In other news, a breakdown of the trailer can be seen here: http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/233139/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-breakdown

Looking at the readouts next to each of the main characters is interesting; the "known associates" of some of them are the names of the original Guardians -- Yondu, if I remember, was a blue alien Green Arrow type, and Lylla was the chick with her head on fire...​

I like the fact the article connects to the Greg Pak article on Bill Mantlo. His is an horrible story, and I hope the increased visibility of Rocket Raccoon helps raise a little more money towards his care. He was responsible for so many great comics, in addition to creating Rocket, he was responsible for Rom, Micronauts, Cloak and Dagger to name a few.

The Annihilation story lines really were amazing. The Groot thing makes sense though, I am sure he and Rocket will be on screen sparingly. They can't blow the entire film budget on a couple cgi characters, they need lots of money for the epic cosmic stuff as well.

Disney's not hiring Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel so that they can limit their character's screen time. :poke:

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 2

I'd love to see K'lrt or Ronan make an appearance in this, but I doubt that's going to happen. 

Lee Pace is playing Ronan. I think he will be a major villain, though they have been keeping his character look under wraps. I'm guessing he won't be be revealed until one of the final trailers. Here is a toy though, paired with Starlord, showing approximately how he will look.

IMG_0201-610x457.jpg

• Like 3

I like the fact the article connects to the Greg Pak article on Bill Mantlo. His is an horrible story, and I hope the increased visibility of Rocket Raccoon helps raise a little more money towards his care. He was responsible for so many great comics, in addition to creating Rocket, he was responsible for Rom, Micronauts, Cloak and Dagger to name a few.

I feel pretty stupid for not knowing the first thing about Bill Mantlo's condition.  What a tragedy!  ROM and the Micronauts were two of my favourite comics when I was a kid (well - early teenager actually).