Sign in to follow this  
MissMelons

Miniatures and Parts!

So I have decided for Reapercon to do my first diorama. (I have three in my head but this one yanks my heartstrings the most) I want to do a setting of Maria vs the Maschinemensch. (From Metropolis) Reaper has the PERFECT Figure for the Maschinemench but I have yet to find one for Maria. (I'm still hunting though) 

Maria is pretty simply dressed, always very composed. (If you've never seen the movie, Maria is a very popular public figure who stands for all things good and pure. This is probably my most favorite picture of her: Metropolis_Wallppr_Maria_2_by_archangelg

That's one figure issue, the other is scenery. Metropolis is kind of a steampunk setting, in which industry is pretty freaking gigantic. Whatever model scenery I do make, or buy has to be at half as big as the miniatures. I thought about using the gigantic clock that Freder is struggling with as the background. Any tips on making something like this?? 

• Like 1

Michael's/ Hobby Lobby have all sorts of steampunk bits in their scrapbooking section (or at least they should mine does).  That should get you started with a scratchbuild.

Edited by captenglish
  • Like 1

Even better are the clocks and stuff in their jewelry section. Most are non-functional and with the 40% off coupon it can be pretty affordable.

As for the mini you're looking for. Well that's a bit tricky as civilians and non-combatants aren't very common for steampunk. I would suggest looking at Microarts Studio's Diskworld and Wolsung lines. Wyrd may have something you'd like if you want a more action-y pose. Finally there's Bombshell Babe's Victoriana.

http://bombshell-miniatures.highwire.com/product/victoriana

• Like 2

Yes. Jewelry section at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and JoAnn's often contain gears, compass faces, clock parts, and other fine Steampunk parts. Got a chain of gears around here somewhere I bought at Hobby Lobby. 

Figure.... ergh. Durned if I can think of any female mini I've ever seen with that particular hairdo. The CLOTHES, though, wouldn't be difficult, assuming you didn't mind sculpting them. Most female figures to my experience tend to be dressed a bit more bombastically. Last time I saw a female fig that simply dressed was in Grenadier's Call Of Cthulhu line... and she was holding a shotgun.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

So I have decided for Reapercon to do my first diorama. (I have three in my head but this one yanks my heartstrings the most) I want to do a setting of Maria vs the Maschinemensch. (From Metropolis) Reaper has the PERFECT Figure for the Maschinemench but I have yet to find one for Maria. (I'm still hunting though) 

Maria is pretty simply dressed, always very composed. (If you've never seen the movie, Maria is a very popular public figure who stands for all things good and pure. This is probably my most favorite picture of her:

That's one figure issue, the other is scenery. Metropolis is kind of a steampunk setting, in which industry is pretty freaking gigantic. Whatever model scenery I do make, or buy has to be at half as big as the miniatures. I thought about using the gigantic clock that Freder is struggling with as the background. Any tips on making something like this?? 

How do you solve a problem like Maria?  If you can find a miniature that would pass for Julie Andrews in The sound of music, you are half way there.

buckyball

• Like 2