Say it isn't so!!!!

Durak

Now I know I have no influence over the business pratices of Reaper nor will I pretend too. I wanted to know if Fluid has obtained permission for its new product to display reaper miniatures as its character art.

http://www.dundjinni.com/products/dundjinni_silver.htm

bottom of the page for the link.

Please tell me I am having a nightmare. Really though I hope that it works out for Reaper and this product is not another E-Tools in lurking. Yes before you ask I am bitter over E-Tools. :grr::grr::grr::grr:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with e-tools s that you didn't get anything with it. A PC and NPC generator, those you can get free on the web, a monster creator (I find 5 minutes with the Monster Manual I can scratch out some notes for a new monster) and a treasure generator. No Map Maker (The only real reason I would purchase any electronic tool for D&D) nothing but some basic generators, and all for like 40$!

75 megs really isn't very much, consider the typical game that consumes gigs of space. Any half decent graphic utility will run well over 100 megs (paint shop pro 7 is 194).

If this allows you to print the maps on a one inch grid then I would definately buy it, not that I wouldn't anyway but a one inch grid would make this very useful for 3rd edition D&D.

Now I know I have no influence over the business pratices of Reaper nor will I pretend too. I wanted to know if Fluid has obtained permission for its new product to display reaper miniatures as its character art.

Yes. I've been providing a steady stream of painted miniature photography to Fluid Entertainment for this agreement. What I've seen looks quite nice. :)

Reaper Ivy

Layout Chick

• Super Administrators

Ed just handed me a press release.

Here's the full text:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Ed Pugh

Reaper Miniatures

972.434.3088 Voice

972.221.2481 Fax

[email protected]

ReaperMini.com

CavHq.com

WarlordHq.com

Nords-Games.com

Lewisville, Texas, January 12, 2004

Reaper Miniatures and Fluid Entertainment Announce License Deal

Reaper Miniatures and Fluid Entertainment today announced a deal

to include digital reproductions of painted Reaper Miniatures

fantasy figures in Fluid's soon-to-be-released Dundjinni, mapping

and adventure creation software for Dungeon Masters. A base set of

figures is included in the base software itself, with additional

artpacks of figures planned for future release.

The Reaper Mini lines licensed includes both the Warlord and

Dark Heaven Legends lines. The pieces currently scheduled for

reproduction are painted by Reaper's top internal artists, including

Anne Foerster, Michael Genet, Derek Schubert, Liliana Troy,

Jennifer Haley, Alex Glocka, Jason Glocka, Kevin Walker, Tim Lison,

Sue Wachowski, Michael Bisignani. 

Dundjinni software permits DMs to create and print professional-looking

maps and adventures. Via an intuitive point and click interface,

DMs can create beautiful maps and populate them with a variety of

objects and obstacles (such as pits and traps), as well as NPCs.

Text and d20 stats can then be added, as well as being imported

from the  XML character format (as used by eTools, for example).

The end product is a formatted text adventure, along with beautiful

overview and battle maps, which can be printed out in color at 200 dpi

resolution on the user's home printer.

Reaper Miniatures, is a worldwide leader in the design and casting of

pewter science fiction and fantasy miniature figurines. Based out of

Lewisville, Texas, Reaper products are available in fine shops around the world.

Dunjinni is scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2004.

A demo of the product, as well as a weekly sampling of maps, objects

and adventures can be downloaded from the company's website, www.dundjinni.com.

For more information, visit the Reaper Miniatures website at ReaperMini.com.

Enjoy.

kit

Size:

The 75MB figure includes the 3 art packs that are included with the base product. That's a lot of textures and objects. If you download the demo you will see that it is about 5 MB when installed. (Obviously not all the art is in the demo.) They are going to sell extra art packs, too.

Windows/Mac:

They have said it is in Java and they intend on supporting Mac and others, but they are doing a Windows-only version at first.

Etools:

Fluid developed it, but the product requirements and decision-making came from Wizards. Plus Wizards changed managers and directions several times during development. If you didn't like Etools, don't place ALL the blame on Fluid. Dundjinni is Fluid-only, so it is perhaps a better indicator of what they can do.

I think it looks pretty cool. Check out the demo:

Dundjinni Web Site

Etools:

Fluid developed it, but the product requirements and decision-making came from Wizards.  Plus Wizards changed managers and directions several times during development.  If you didn't like Etools, don't place ALL the blame on Fluid.  Dundjinni is Fluid-only, so it is perhaps a better indicator of what they can do.

Don't get me wrong I know WOTC had it's dirty part to play in the E-tools fiasco, but as a software development leader I would have not been very warm and fuzzy releasing this product into the wild.

(rant)

The bug count alone would have called for a later release date (150ish at last count 20 or so were CTD's). That alone should have called for more quality assurance. Its as if they designed a prototype and called it done and good.

(/rant)

Maybe this new mapping software will be better. I hope it is just for Reaper's sake. But I as a consumer I will not be purchasing anything from Fluid.... Ever.....

Well anyone that followed the developement of e-tools from the beginning I think would agree that WoTC is much more resposible for how the product was released than Fluid. The final release was so different from the original demo as to be a completely different program, I can just imagine the state of the code when it was turned over to Fluid to finish.