Sign in to follow this  
Kharsin

To View, Or Not To View....

Okay! I'm not a gamer, and I'm starting to see that I'm creating a monster... I'm about to have these wonderful (in my eye at least) miniatures that I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into, and I need a way to keep them hail and hearty! I have a 6yr. old, a 2yr. old, a Main Coon Cat, and a new Beagle that thinks everything in the house belongs to him.

What methods do you guys use to display/protect your miniatures when you're not messing with them? I've seen the large (and expensive!) gamer cases used to bring minis to and fro, but I really wouldn't get the use out of it to justify the price. 

I found this at Michael's the other day, but it was $60, which seems a bit much.

http://www.michaels.com/Shot-Glass-Display-Case/fr0527,default,pd.html?cgid=products-framing-giftideasforfathersday

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) it was buy one get one free until today, but my budget did not allow for that purchase this weekend. It was very nice, as it had a hinged front and large bays for storing minis on well done bases. However, it does seem at that price that you'd be well on your way to purchasing a large curio cabinet if you saved a bit longer... 

So to review:

1. I need a case to protect my hard work.

2. I'm not a gamer so I don't need to transport them.

3. I'd like it to be affordable so I don't have to file bankruptcy.

4. I'd like to look nice.

Thoughts? 

Ouch. Did you see the review that said the frame was made of pressed cardboard? I'm sure there must be better-made cases somewhere.

• Like 2

You can always look for a curio on craigslist but could be expensive. I have at least a thousand and on small curio could hold them all. Right now I have a small book case with a plexiglass front I modified to keeps pets and kiddies out of. BTW im not a gamer either. 

• Like 1

Ouch. Did you see the review that said the frame was made of pressed cardboard? I'm sure there must be better-made cases somewhere.

I didn't read the reviews, but it doesn't surprise me. Quality doesn't come cheap, but neither does cheap come cheap anymore. LOL!

You can always look for a curio on craigslist but could be expensive. I have at least a thousand and on small curio could hold them all. Right now I have a small book case with a plexiglass front I modified to keeps pets and kiddies out of. BTW im not a gamer either. 

That may not be a bad idea. My carpentry skills are lacking though. I may be better saving for a full sized curio as my wife has a few Barbies and a tea set she'd like to display. Still, the thing I liked about the shot glass holder was that it was designed to hang on the wall, which would get it out of dog, cat, toddler range, as well as be decorative to boot. 

Michael's also had a $12 unfinished job that looked like a bottle crate, but could possibly perform a similar job. However, it was opened to the elements which wouldn't do much for dust.

Any other suggestions? I love hearing everyone's solutions!

I have a variety of shadow boxes hanging on the wall. Most are repurposed printer's drawers, some are actual shadow boxes, and several recent ones are actually plastic storage boxes screwed to the wall. Hanging them HIGH enough keeps the cats from swatting things off of them for use as kitty toys, and the dogs have never shown any interest.

This isn't necessarily the way to go with small humans, though... they tend to be good at stacking things or dragging over something to stand on.

I use these: Car Case.
 I just cut a piece of wood or tile to fit inside to raise the minis a bit.  Works great and allows a mix of sizes.

I also keep all my "good" minis at work on my desk.  I spend 9 hours a day there, so it is nice to have them around me as I work.

I have one of these that I keep my painted miniatures in http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206/

It works well, but is amazingly heavy.

I've looked at those before! It looks like it's come down in price as it used to be more than that. I'm a couple hours from H-Town, which is where the closest IKEA is. I'll have to check it out as that's more affordable than the shotglass case. Do you know if it's safety glass or not? MY children can get rather roudy with their swords and such...

I have a variety of shadow boxes hanging on the wall. Most are repurposed printer's drawers, some are actual shadow boxes, and several recent ones are actually plastic storage boxes screwed to the wall. Hanging them HIGH enough keeps the cats from swatting things off of them for use as kitty toys, and the dogs have never shown any interest.

This isn't necessarily the way to go with small humans, though... they tend to be good at stacking things or dragging over something to stand on.

We have a Maine Coon who is currently thwarted by a baby gate. She's more of a ground hunter.

I use these: Car Case.

I just cut a piece of wood or tile to fit inside to raise the minis a bit.  Works great and allows a mix of sizes.

I also keep all my "good" minis at work on my desk.  I spend 9 hours a day there, so it is nice to have them around me as I work.

I saw that one too but I like the shot glass arrangement better. Of course, all I have done so far have been people sized minis. I'm not seeing a dragon fitting in a shot glass slot.

I was at michaels yesterday and saw the cardoard Book shaped boxes and thought they would make an interesting mini case. Get some pluck foam to fit inside the book then put the book on the shelf. 

• Like 1

I was at michaels yesterday and saw the cardoard Book shaped boxes and thought they would make an interesting mini case. Get some pluck foam to fit inside the book then put the book on the shelf. 

The first step to overcoming an addiction is to admit that you have one, not to hide it from the world! Lol! Definitely sounds like an attractive way to store them between displays though!

I don't know if the IKEA case is safety glass, it might be.  It is heavy enough. It does come with a strap for connecting it to the wall and I would definitely recommend that if there are kids around. I'll get around to bolting mine up this summer. The price fluctuates, I'm pretty sure I paid much less than the current price for mine.

• Like 1

These guys were at Reaper HQ on the day of the big KS Bones 2 countdown.  I got a card from them but have not priced out their cases.  They were very nice and could be used for other things besides minis.  It is a family ran business and not far from Reaper HQ.

Hill Plastics

www.hillplastics.com

Cody Hill - Vice President

[email protected]

I am not seeing any of the cool display cases they had there that day but you could write and ask for some pics and prices.

• Like 1

Hi Kharsin;

I don't know if my reply will be of any help...this is the way I handle what you stated/asked.

DISPLAY...The wife and I have a (7') curio hutch and a (4') display case in our living room...both are sold wood with hinged doors (that can be locked) and glass shelves...the (7') curio has interior display lighting...I can display between (50 to 70) standard miniatures in these two...so people can view my work.

STORAGE & PROTECTION...I store my pieces in clear plastic shoe boxes (Rubbermaid = each costing about $2,00)...I construct trays out of foam core (each sheet 24"x36" costs about $2,00). I build trays that hold the standard (30mm/40mm/50mm) round bases (95% of my miniatures are mounted on these type of bases)...I inlay each square with felt or foam...These shoe boxes can be stacked in a closet or on a high shelf away from tiny exploring hands (like my grand kids)...the pieces are protected from dust and from banging into each other...and it doesn't cost me a small fortune.

I hope that my reply has been of some help for you to get possible ideas and not spend a lot of money.

Paul (Catdancer)

Edited by catdancer
  • Like 3

These guys were at Reaper HQ on the day of the big KS Bones 2 countdown.  I got a card from them but have not priced out their cases.  They were very nice and could be used for other things besides minis.  It is a family ran business and not far from Reaper HQ.

Hill Plastics

www.hillplastics.com

Cody Hill - Vice President

[email protected]

I am not seeing any of the cool display cases they had there that day but you could write and ask for some pics and prices.

I'll have to give them a look! I haven't decided on anything, but if my 2yr old keeps up at the rate he's going, all of the miniatures will be buried beneath ninja turtles and dinosaurs… LOL!

Hi Kharsin;

I don't know if my reply will be of any help...this is the way I handle what you stated/asked.

DISPLAY...The wife and I have a (7') curio hutch and a (4') display case in our living room...both are sold wood with hinged doors (that can be locked) and glass shelves...the (7') curio has interior display lighting...I can display between (50 to 70) standard miniatures in these two...so people can view my work.

STORAGE & PROTECTION...I store my pieces in clear plastic shoe boxes (Rubbermaid = each costing about $2,00)...I construct trays out of foam core (each sheet 24"x36" costs about $2,00). I build trays that hold the standard (30mm/40mm/50mm) round bases (95% of my miniatures are mounted on these type of bases)...I inlay each square with felt or foam...These shoe boxes can be stacked in a closet or on a high shelf away from tiny exploring hands (like my grand kids)...the pieces are protected from dust and from banging into each other...and it doesn't cost me a small fortune.

I hope that my reply has been of some help for you to get possible ideas and not spend a lot of money.

Paul (Catdancer)

I'll have to try the foam core. We've used it for a lot of things up at church (well, I'VE used it for a lot of things…) That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. We've been wanting to purchase a curio cabinet as well, but just don't really have the space for one right now. I may end up just purchasing one of the shot glass frames from Amazon (much cheaper than Michael's) and use the shoebox thing to store the extras.