Almost a Show-Off: 50028 Kirby McDowell

Willen

This mini was almost completely painted with Scalecolor paints from Scale75, following the recipes on the box. I am posting it here so not to photo-spam the paint's thread.

Only thing I am looking forward doing is the base, but can accept touch-ups if you have comments. As always, C&C appreciated!

-.-.-.-

Kirby is being painted as a non-military piece for Infinity games. Perhaps he is an off-duty Wildcat? A savvy Clockmaker going out for a drink? I don't know...

Mini was cleaned, then primer by brush with SC75 white primer. 

Flesh was painted following the "white skin" steps in the Flesh paint set.

kirby1.JPG

kirby2.JPG

Then, Kirby is rocking the red with the "Red" recipe of the Fire and Blood (reds) paint set. Here, I went a little deeper than the recipe indicated by mixing some Deep Forest Green (also a SC75 color) into Deep Red.

kirby4.JPG

kirby5.JPG

The "inner" pants where done sorta-following the "Wood" recipe, in the Leather and Wood set, adjusting the mixes to get a more "dirty linen" touch. Then, the over pants where done with the "Leather" recipe. I am not happy with them, I was sloppy :(  To unify the colors not only I used Brown Leather as suggested but also Sephia Wash from GW to give it a little more shine.

kirby6.JPG

After this, I jumped into finishing the mini because it's been some time I actually finished a mini, so no more step-by-step pics. You get the final result:

Knee-pads and tips of the boots were an attempt at Copper NMM as per the Gold NMM paint set. The hair, is actually based on the "Gold" NMM recipe! Then the gun and buckles are based on the "Steel" recipe of the Steel NMM set. And finally, the belt and... you call them suspenders? Are made with a base of VMC Yellow Ochre (sorry SC75, I could have mixed something similar with your paints, but this was great and was handy. I was weak); shaded with Brown Leather (SC75) and highlighted with Iroko (SC75) and Birch (SC75).

kirby7.JPG

kirby8.JPG

kirby9.JPG

So there you have it! 99% a SC75 paint job (and a trusty W&N S7!).

• Like 17

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very bright red.

The paints look good I guess...maybe my eye isn't as good as it use to be but it looks like pretty much any other paint I have seen used to paint minis.

I am also not a fan of the color on his outer pants.  It could be that it is sloppy as you said but it looks as though it did not cover well.

Thanks for the paint test/show off though.

That is a very bright red.

The paints look good I guess...maybe my eye isn't as good as it use to be but it looks like pretty much any other paint I have seen used to paint minis.

I am also not a fan of the color on his outer pants.  It could be that it is sloppy as you said but it looks as though it did not cover well.

Thanks for the paint test/show off though.

It is a bright red, but it got pumped up by my cold light setup, probably. I will finish off the base and take more decent pics tonight.

If the paint looks like good hobby paint... goal achieved! I was just showing off you can get as good results as any with these paints (as a spin off of the show off videos). It also helped me actually learn to USE them better. I've learned, for example, that a little water in the SC75 paints makes them translucent, while retaining thickness. This can be used to your advantage, since paint does not pool not leaved "brush lift off" drops, but it is still translucent for layering!!

Coverage was good on the pants but the highlights were not well blended. And too many of them. I might re-do them with less highlights, more focalised. 

Wow, that red looks amazing!

Thanks!

You should be getting commission from them! Nice work and good showcase.

:blush:  Cash, I am just a "good enough painter, but thanks for the kind words.

I'm really digging that red.... I think it's because I only have two reds right now (blood red & carnage red) and wish I had more! Maybe I'll have to order that fire and blood set...

Definitely my favourite sets are the Red, the Blue, and the Green. The others are nice but those three have some nice variations on the color ranges.

Like the work done on the pants and knee pads!

I feel those are the weakest parts of the paintjob but thanks for liking them anyway  :upside:

Wonderful work with the red!

Compliments from Cash AND Kuro? Now I have to tell my wife!

• Like 2

Thanks Dontfear!

I don't think the paints are to blame for roughness here. I am curious, for the skin, you mean you would smooth the blending, or that there is too much texture on it? If texture, unfortunately that is tough for me to solve right now. If blending, I found it to be kinda my best job so far so if you can point out where it is off (crude Paint arrows or circles work!) I would really appreciate. 

Taking distance from your job is difficult and I kinda don't appreciate all the details anymore.

BTW, this mini is tons of fun. I might get another one, GS a shirt neck and narrow tie, sci-fi spectacles and a Nomad gauntlet on his right hand and make him a badass Engineer or Clockmaker!

• Like 1

oh your blending is awesome!  No the texture is what is a bit messed up. I think some mid tone glazes might knock down some of the chalky look.  I have been told that matte spray can sometimes knock it down but that is a little nerve wracking to do because what can you do if it doesn't work?

• Like 1

Oh! I hear about the spray think. I actually ruined a test mini and now I fear for all the rest. It was a test, thanksfully, but still ruined the experience for me.

It is not really chalky, but the texture is off anyway, you are right. I found the casting to be really rough and worn; I think most of old Reaper molds are wearing out because this is not the first mini (and I own only a few) that have symetry problems, rough surface, lost details...  :down:

I should've tried the sealer trick before painting the skin. I will do it now but since it is transparent, I don't think it will help unless I paint it again. And I kinda like how the skin turned out!

I might repaint the pants, however. And do some freehand on the shirt to tie him into my Infinity faction  :devil:

The sealer might still work for the roughness/chalkiness Willen. I know that on my figures when I get too chalky I will use the sealer even it if it between layers that I'm doing and it will completely smooth it out. 

Love the figure, the blending and would like to see your freehand work on him to tie him into your infinity faction.

Yeah, but "in between layers" would mean you would paint on it. 

I mean, the purpose is to smooth the surface. This can work in two ways:

- As a smooth support (surface) for a next layer, to make it well... smoother;

- As a more reflective surface that affects light differently. Generally, smooth surfaces give you shine. 

If I don't put more paint on it... I am not sure how it would work. But I will try it anyway! I will also seal the shirt so I can try the freehand and make "erasing" it easier. Now... to decide for what to put there...

Edit: So assuming he is a hard-butt veteran Wildcat, I could do the upper left logo here:

LogoNomadsInicioSECTORIALES.png

...on the shirt, plus mandatory tattos on arms and neck. What do you think? Or should I leave it simple=

Edited by Willen

I've done it beforehand like after a primer coat on a metal figure, after a layer is chalky to smooth it out and as a sealer at the final stages and then hitting it with a dull coat after that to bring the shine down. I've also read (I believe now on Jen Haley's defunct site) that she used a drop of it in her lighter colored pigmented paints to stop them from being chalky altogether. She mentioned it specifically in doing the whites of the eyes.

So you can just try to put it on now w/o painting anymore on top of it and bring down the shine with your dull coat sealer.

• Like 2