Arcadia Quest by CMON

The Inner Geek

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While one of the game designers (Eric Lang) was is the main man behind Kaos Ball it's not the same company as is fronting Arcadia Quest as he's just acted as a freelance rules designer for this one (it looks like the main ideas came from a Brazllian trio)

so you probably can't extrapolate too much (except whether the rules are any good) from how the Kaos Ball project went/is going

What are the CMON debacles? (Off topic, learned a new word)

Zombicide 1 & 2 had some communication and shipping issues. In my opinion the issues were comparable to Reaper's kickstarter.

Sedition Wars.... I didn't back it but I was following it. Kind of a mess with mixed quality, particularly in the seconds wave of minis. The game rules were scrapped, the original game cards were scrapped, the original tiles should have been replaced but weren't. 

Relic Knights I haven't really been following but from what I gather its also a mess. Very late and bad comunication

Rivet Wars and Guilds of Cadwallon I don't think had any particular issues.

Kaosball I haven't been following at all

Something that's been debated a bit is how much of the issues are due to CMON and how much of them are due to the companies they partner with. Some issues are definitely CMON (particularly communication). Other issues are very likely the partner company, like the bad minis from Sedition Wars.

This project also has a partner company and its the same one as Kaosball. So that's were I'd probably look for insight. 

I heard Rivet Wars was little late, too.

I heard also from different sources that the minis from Sedition Wars had a good (or better normal) quality. And heard that mostly Board Gamers made complaints about the minis. I think nearly every miniature collector/gamer knows that minis have mold lines and need to be cleaned. I think many saw the Studio McVey minis and expected same quality.

Many people forget also that KS is not a preorder system.

And Companies underestimating the ETA in projects which are creating something new or addons is absolutely normal. It has a long history even outside KS. (Anyone heard about the Duke Nukem story?) :-)

Very slow communication is sadly not seldom, too. :-(

I'll have to keep an eye on this one, no interest in the game but I'd like to add those minis to my Super Dungeon Explore collection.

I'm interested in one or two minis from this game, too. But not more. I think we should ask if they sell them solely, too.

I heard also from different sources that the minis from Sedition Wars had a good (or better normal) quality. And heard that mostly Board Gamers made complaints about the minis. I think nearly every miniature collector/gamer knows that minis have mold lines and need to be cleaned. I think many saw the Studio McVey minis and expected same quality.

With Sedition Wars there was a scale difference between the first and second wave of miniatures. Mike McVey wasn't pleased with it either. Letter below spoiler tagged for length

I thought I would post about the comments if the size/scale of the miniatures. Apologies for not doing this sooner, but the past few weeks have been pretty full-on.

I have to say right off the bat, that I am unhappy with the shrinkage of some of the casts - it is certainly disappointing to me, and I'm sure it is to some of you too. Unfortunately, the ones that are the worst effected are the ones that were the thinnest to start with - the ones with a more chunky design have not suffered in the same way. It seems that the process is not kind to finer designs. I don't think the miniatures are ruined - but they are not quite how I had envisioned them coming out.

I can only apologies, and learn from it.

As for the scale... Well as anybody who has been in the hobby for a while knows - discussions on scale and proportions are likely to open up a huge can of worms and polarise opinions. But here we go...

The first Sedition Wars human miniatures (Vanguard) were mainly sculpted by one person, and when that person was not available to work on the wave two material, I had to give the commissions to other sculptors. The people I am working with on SW now, are of the more realistic school of proportion when it comes to humans - so smaller heads compared to bodies, and generally a little finer. They are the same people who have been working with on the bulk of my LE resin line for the past few years, and the proportions there lead to absolutely no complaint . I had to make a decision about the future of the SW range - and who was going to be sculpting the bulk of it going forward, and I decided the more realistic approach was going to be the one that would lead to the best consistency in the future.

You most likely think I should have had the new sculptors work to a style that matched more closely with the original miniatures - but that wasn't really a workable solution. When you try and get creative people to work in a style they are not comfortable with - the results are never good in the long term, and you end up with more problems with quality and consistency. We tried for a half-way house - and if characters were going to be in units with the older miniatures (like Ramirez), we tried to match more closely.

The other factor here, is the subject matter. Some of the wave two characters are supposed to be closely inspired by 'real' subjects, so to get an accurate representation I thought it best to go down the realism route - that was particularly the case with Hexen and Ridley, and the Calamity crew. I didn't want 'war-games' versions of those characters - with large heads and chunky bodies. That was the decision I took at the time - was that the right choice? Given how they suffered in shrinkage terms, I'm no so sure now - but that was my choice, and I'll have to live with it.

Overall I'm not as happy with Wave 2 as I had hoped to be - but they are by no means terrible, and I think many of the miniatures came out very well.

mike

Ooo... a game. I've never gone in on one of these before - I don't actually own any board games - but this one looks fun, and definitely well-suited for my school's gamer's guild. And now that we've hit Koba, there's ~45 minis in the set, which means that even if I hate the game, I'll at least have those... I've been wanting to paint some chibis, too... Yeah, I'm going to have to scrape together the cash for this one!

• Like 1

While one of the game designers (Eric Lang) was is the main man behind Kaos Ball it's not the same company as is fronting Arcadia Quest as he's just acted as a freelance rules designer for this one (it looks like the main ideas came from a Brazllian trio)

so you probably can't extrapolate too much (except whether the rules are any good) from how the Kaos Ball project went/is going

They are both listed as Spaghetti Western Games which is I believe is Eric Lang's company.

I looked at this one and I like the minis, however it made me look at Super Dungeon Explore and I am leaning towards that one if I ever get the cash.  If I had the money I would help fund this one as well.

From what I have heard, the core difference for the two games is Super Dungeon Explore (SDE) needs a DM. Most of the time, the owner of the game will end up being the DM due to knowing the rules and teaching the game. So if you do not mind that and not being able to play a hero, you'll be okay with the game. Otherwise, Arcadia Quest (AQ) will allow you to play as a hero in the game.

I don't know if SDE has solo play, but AQ as mentioned earlier, does not. I wonder if you can combine characters and stuff from each game.

• Like 1

I looked at this one and I like the minis, however it made me look at Super Dungeon Explore and I am leaning towards that one if I ever get the cash.  If I had the money I would help fund this one as well.

From what I have heard, the core difference for the two games is Super Dungeon Explore (SDE) needs a DM. Most of the time, the owner of the game will end up being the DM due to knowing the rules and teaching the game. So if you do not mind that and not being able to play a hero, you'll be okay with the game. Otherwise, Arcadia Quest (AQ) will allow you to play as a hero in the game.

I don't know if SDE has solo play, but AQ as mentioned earlier, does not. I wonder if you can combine characters and stuff from each game.

There is no solo in SDE, and you are correct in that you need a DM. This is where this game is going to really excel. No one has to be the baddies. As for cross game compatibility with SDE, it sound like a resounding 'no' unless the community does something on their own. The unsubstantiated rumor is, the company behind SDE hates this game or the company behind it or some such. Maybe they wanted to keep all the chibi love for themselves?

The unsubstantiated rumor is, the company behind SDE hates this game or the company behind it or some such. Maybe they wanted to keep all the chibi love for themselves?

I was wondering about this. SDE is Soda Pop right? And Soda Pop is affiliated with CMON. Now CMON is directly behind this game so it makes them SDE biggest competitors (gameplay might be different but clearly this is to hop on the succes of SDE?!)! I wonder how Soda Pop reacted to this move.

I might be way off but no harm or such is intented. But I am honestly wondering about this. How silly that might be! ::P:

Arcadia Quest is not Solo friendly (as stated by the game designers) despite being co-op against the board, presumably because there are significant elements of competition amongst the players

the new SDE: Forgotten King game (KS soon) looks like it might have solo potential as it's got a new Arcade Mode ruleset which is co-op against an AI board (I don't yet know whether there's inter-play competition that will spoil it, but I've got the question in to one of the playtesters )