Arcadia Quest by CMON

The Inner Geek

I'm not trying to sound mean or ignorant here but isn't the point of tabletop games to be social activities? Why is soloplay a thing?

I feel the same way, if I want to play a RPG solo I'm popping in Skyrim, otherwise TTRPGs and board games are supposed to be for 2+ players to get together and have fun. It's where family game night comes in and weekend D&D groups happen. 

Oh btw you posted 2x  ::P:

• Like 1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several reasons: It's not always easy to get a gaming group together, especially if your gaming circle consists of people with schedules that can change at a moments notice like parents with young children or shift workers. Or if your gaming friends are spread across a wide area you may not want to be waiting to play a game just once a week or less. Or some people just prefer gaming on their own.

• Like 5

Ever hear of Solitaire?

That's not a table-top board game, it's a card game.

Card games also tend to be for groups, yet there exists a popular card game (really a couple hundred different variations) that isn't.  Or do you believe there is something intrinsic in using a board that makes solo play less desirable than it is with cards?

• Like 1

Fine there is a version or two of Solitaire that are specifically for one person (as the name implies) which are called "board games," still I'm in agreement with DF about solitary board games the likes of Fantasy/Sci-fi which are meant to be played with more than 1 person as a social interaction, again personally if I want to play a solo game in that vein I will power up my PS3 or Xbox One and have fun by myself as I actually prefer gaming solo like that to playing against others online (the only exception was during my WoW addiction days, but that's a whole different story...).  :upside:

Edit to add:

Card games also tend to be for groups, yet there exists a popular card game (really a couple hundred different variations) that isn't.  Or do you believe there is something intrinsic in using a board that makes solo play less desirable than it is with cards?

I do believe that board games are more for multiple players as the vast majority of them say for 2+ players for ages X to X, they are meant to be enjoyed together and designed with the social setting in mind. I'd never try to play D&D/PF by myself as the fun in the game for me is to hang out with my friends and have adventures together. When I think of regular board games as well I think of games like Monopoly and Sorry where you need more than 1 person to play. In this day and age with our internet capabilities being available in most areas and the ability to connect with people from all over the world we should be able to play even board games online with our fellow humans and make it a social game rather than a hermit game.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Fine there is a version or two of Solitaire that are specifically for one person (as the name implies) which are called "board games," still I'm in agreement with DF about solitary board games the likes of Fantasy/Sci-fi which are meant to be played with more than 1 person as a social interaction, again personally if I want to play a solo game in that vein I will power up my PS3 or Xbox One and have fun by myself as I actually prefer gaming solo like that to playing against others online (the only exception was during my WoW addiction days, but that's a whole different story...).  :upside:

The key word there is "personally".

Lots of people only ever play multiplayer video games, that doesn't mean there is no point to single player games.

• Like 2

Assumes facts not in evidence.

It's all cool though, we all have differing opinions on what constitutes a board game or a card game and how many should be playing, but I'm not talking facts here I'm talking personal opinion so we can agree to disagree on it and you can go play your solo games while I play with my friends at my 2x/month pathfinder gaming group. - Edit to add: I mean no offense here, I re-read this and can see someone taking it as offensive so I apologize if it sounds mean or combative. 

The key word there is "personally".

Lots of people only ever play multiplayer video games, that doesn't mean there is no point to single player games.

Exactly - Personally, I never meant to imply another way, but you can't ague that the vast majority of games are for more than 1 player in mind when they were designed. Things like 'family game night' spring to my mind when I think board games and you've never seen a commercial for a single-player game out there where there is a guy/gal hanging out alone playing a game, you will see these games where it's a group of 4 all having fun together. I also know that a lot of people prefer multi-player video games to solo games and that kind of play keeps growing with the rise of services like Xbox Live and the MMORPGs. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

I understand that, but at the same time I feel that it shouldn't ever be a requirement of game design. It's an added bonus if there are variant rules for something like that, but I never understand people getting upset over it not being an option as that just didn't cross the designers' mind(s) as it was being created.

• Like 1

you've never seen a commercial for a single-player game out there where there is a guy/gal hanging out alone playing a game, . 

You do know you are basically saying you don't understand why people like things you don't like right?

• Like 2