Sign in to follow this  
Splurch

Prepainted Miniatures, anyone know the sealer they use?

So I've been looking for a good sealer for a while and while I've found one I'm happy with the thought crossed my mind that prepainted miniatures (D&D, Mechwarrior, Mage Knight etc) have a rather amazing sealer. I've tried to scrape paint off of several in the past and have had no effect. Anyone know if it's just the sealer? Some combo of the paint they use that interacts with the plastic? Have any theories?

I may be mistaken but I don't think they use sealer, just some kind of paint that bonds chemically with the plastic. I have never seen anyone forthcoming with details of the type of paint used on these things, so I would guess it is a trade secret.

I was rather under the impression that the toy factories use a styrene and/or vinyl-based paint or plastic which is close to the same material as the toy itself and bonds with it.

They probably do not use acrylics, which are more expensive. They may not even use a sealer.

They use pigment mixed with a solvent. The solvent melts the plastic and the pigment penatrates the surface. So when it "drys" it has created a new colored surface. Its more like dyeing than painting.

• Like 2

They use pigment mixed with a solvent. The solvent melts the plastic and the pigment penatrates the surface. So when it "drys" it has created a new colored surface. Its more like dyeing than painting.

That begs the question if there is some (safe?) additive we can mix with the Reaper paints to do the same with the bonesium?

That begs the question if there is some (safe?) additive we can mix with the Reaper paints to do the same with the bonesium?

:blink:

Somehow I doubt it.

Any solvent strong enough to dissolve plastic is going to be pretty nasty. It also may well be incompatible with acrylic paint, which is itself a kind of plastic suspension.

However, I am not an expert on plastics or plastic paints.

• Like 3

Pingo beat me to the punch.  I agree that it's unlikely, especially since when people were opening their boxes after the first Bones Kickstarter there were concerns about off-gassing and allergic reactions just from the plastic.  Throw a solvent in and you'd likely get some very nasty fumes.

Krylon Fusion is an example of this.  It won't bond with all plastics but it is designed for some types of PVC.  However, I don't know about the bones material.  Plastics and solvents are almost a dark art.  I wouldn't mess with them unless you really know what you are doing.

Krylon Fusion is an example of this.  It won't bond with all plastics but it is designed for some types of PVC.  However, I don't know about the bones material.  Plastics and solvents are almost a dark art.  I wouldn't mess with them unless you really know what you are doing.

And have a gas mask.

Maybe even a haz-mat suit.

Just to be safe. :blink:

• Like 2

I may be misremembering here, but wasn't it those very Krylon spray products that reacted so badly with Bones minis that they became sticky and never properly dried?

I may be misremembering here, but wasn't it those very Krylon spray products that reacted so badly with Bones minis that they became sticky and never properly dried?

That sounds familiar to me too.

Edited by pinkymadigan