Farewell, Aaron Allston

Dr.Bedlam

Aaron Allston, game designer and writer and fairly prolific author, died Thursday at the age of 53.

He was getting off the plane to attend Visioncon, and collapsed, and later pronounced dead; it looks like massive heart failure. He'd had one heart attack in 2009 already.

Aaron was well known for a variety of works. He helped design the Mystara setting for Dungeons and Dragons, and did work for TSR back in the day; he was influential in the development of the game from "original boxed set" to "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" and into second edition. He also worked for Steve Jackson Games, working on their publications "The Space Gamer" and "Pyramid," as well as doing some work for the GURPS roleplaying game and "Car Wars." More than one game designer has remarked that if you needed background fluff to support your game, Aaron was your go to guy -- talented, prolific, and FAST.

Aaron was also a prolific and talented author, well known for "Galatea in 2D" and "Doc Sidhe," among many others. He was perhaps best known for writing many licensed Star Wars novels, including something like half of the "X-Wing" novels.

Aaron lived in Round Rock, Texas, and was active in the Austin convention and gaming scene. And I'm gonna miss him. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day I just got done putting my Rules Cyclopedia back on the shelf and then I read that.  I know he worked on lots of various things, but the RC is what I know him for best as I use it practically every day.  It's sad that he passed away, but to have created or worked on things that thousands of people love and cherish is a wonderful legacy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Marc
      5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadow!

A realm just beyond the mortal world—seize magical power, play new heroes, and bring the secrets of the shadows into the light!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deepmagic/book-of-ebon-tides-5th-edition-enters-the-plane-of-shadows?ref=e2bbsa&token=8048a244

The Plane of Shadow exists beside the mortal world, one step beyond the veil—and  your heroes can enter this otherworldly realm of fey shadows, undead horrors, and wild adventure!

The Book of Ebon Tides provides a complete guide to the people, places, heroes, magic, and monsters of the Plane of Shadow, a land where fey magic, illusion, and trickery are as potent as steel.

From shadow goblins to ghouls, from elves to bearfolk, this is a world of mystery and enchantment. On the muddy black riverbanks and along alleys paved with bone, new heroes wander in the light of the moon, summon lunar devils, and battle in crumbling castles. 

Come explore a shadow world next door to every other, just one step down the shadow road. . . .
    • By R2ED
      Got it based and finished.  Hooray! 

• By R2ED
      I bought this little model at a local game store that had it in the clearance bin.  I thought it looked cool, I love Star Wars, so why not buy it?  However, a year ago, I wasn't at the level to paint it.  I primed it.  Based it.  And then let it sit for a loooooong time on the shelf without touching it.  

Today was the day.

BATTLE REPORT!

This was a great model for me to test layers on.  Over the last 4 models I've painted, I've really picked up a new rhythm and life for painting, which feels so good to get some wind back in my sails.  I still have to finish the desert-ish base for Greedo, but I think his paint job looks solid.

Wins:
      * Keeping my palette of colors out and planned helped so much!  I've picked my layering colors, laid them out in the wet palette and am saving time.  
      *  Mixing colors is also much easier by keeping similar tones.  In his vest, and arm/pant panels, I used leather as the base.  In his pants and jacket, I used a stormy gray to highlight up.  
      *  Alien Flesh!!!  I've been sitting on this color, I don't know how long.  I was thinking, "Gosh, if only I had a light green that would work with an alie...OH MY GOD!
      *  Learning my own recipe of water-to-paint ratios to allow for washes feels great!  Gives my painting more flexibility.
      *  Eyes.  When they are that big, it makes it pretty easy to do them.  I need to work on the reflections still, but I am happy with them.  Using Indigo Blue and up to Rich Indigo then mixing in white up to white.  Works.

Misses:
      *  Got sloppy twice and ended up swiping leather color over my pants and jacket 2 times.  Thankfully I could catch and fix, but it was a few 'choice words' I may have said when I did it.  
      *  Used a blue tack for the handle I was using and unfortunately, it didn't stick as well to my homemade metal base.  It nearly fell into the paint palette.  He nearly ended up as messy as my shorts.  I nearly crapped myself.  Also followed by more choice words.
      *  I tried using brown liner around the jacket and separation in the pockets on the vest, but it just didn't work like I had hoped.  I need to learn how to darken in a similar color without going too dark and stark of a change.  

Would love to hear your feedback.  Let me know what you think can be improved or worked on.  I appreciate any and all comments.

Here's my process photos and my inspiration image.

• By MojoBob
      This is Miguel Zavala's redesigned Umber Hulk, printed on my Mars Pro and painted with Vallejo acrylics.

It's a monster I haven't used much, if at all, in my own campaign, but my favourite character of old, Sir Fnord the Pretty Neat died of them twice, both times by having his head ripped clean off.
    • By Marc
      5th Edition enters the Plane of Shadows!
      A realm just beyond the mortal world--seize magical power, play new heroes & bring the secrets of the shadows into the light!

Coming Soon - Click to learn More!!

62541_1080x1080.mp4