Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

So ... "Adventure Time"

Holy cow, have people here been watching "Adventure Time"?

Maybe I'm a little slow (it's what, four-five seasons in), but this is a funny kid's fantasy adventure cartoon, at first it looks like any silly adventure series with a flip sense of humor, but then it has this shockingly rich and tragic backstory which starts coming out in weird hints and flashbacks and it gets really deep.

I just watched the episode "I Remember You" and I can't stop crying.

• Like 3

I love Adventure Time, absolutely wonderful. Every episode that is set before whatever apocolyptic war happened is utterly heartbreaking.

Ice Kings wacky antics are a lot less humerous once the creators established that his situation is a metaphor for dementia.

EDIT: I live with my parents, my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 2 years ago. Those episodes frankly break me

I still find this to be one of the creepiest things ever in a cartoon.

tumblr_lw84vh3xD81qztnedo1_250.gif

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

Adventure Time is a childrens show that caters to Adults in the best sort of way. Every so often there are moral stories than an Adult can look at and take it as deep insight that should be accepted in their own lives while children look at it as just a cute or funny show. I know my 12 year old self would never see what the show really is. It speaks to every age range differently but deep down has some great meanings to it. One of my favorite episodes was "Something Missing" where it's basically telling kids/adults that they need to be honest with themselves and others. That the secrets we keep or scare us might not be as bad as someone elses.

Most recently there was another episode...cant remember the name of it but it's about Finn (the boy) gets his frisbee caught in a tree so he climbs it. Gets tricked into eating a fruit that makes him tiny and is captured by the creatures that live in the tree. The creatures are afraid to leave the tree, all they know is the tree so they never leave. They try to stop Finn from leaving as well. Eventually Finn befriends a squirrel that swears that it's in fact a flying squirrel and they escape. The squirrel is so hard determined that he knows that he can fly but because everyone told him that he couldn't, he never even tried. Finn convinces him to just go for it and they jump from the tree...Squirrel can't freaking fly but the frisbee catches them and they ride away to safety on it. 

Thinking about that episode....How do you know you can't fly if you don't even try? (I'm not saying to jump off your roofs) But looking at my baby nephews it makes me appreciate their youth a lot more and encouraging them to do amazing things.

This show touches me and it's so deep for a childrens show. I agree with Nocturnes thing with the Ice Kings dementia. It's utterly heartbreaking but it's so real at the same time. I have so much sympathy for the Ice King even though he's the supposed "Villain" of the show. 

There IS a villain for Adventure time, but if you haven't watched the show yet, then I won't ruin it for you. 

Yes, we are big Adventure Time fans! I'd be hard pressed to name my favorite episode. I will say that I miss Marceline from the earlier seasons. I think they don't use her as much as she was normally accompanied by a song, which was written by Rebecca Sugar. Rebecca is the one responsible for all of those very catchy songs in the earlier seasons (Bacon Pancakes anyone?) She now has her own show: Steven Universe, which is also a great show! They're both our favorite. Incidentally, I believe the last episode Rebecca worked on is "Bad Little Boy" which is a gender-swap fan fiction written by the Ice King. I can't say enough great about the series! But then, there's Lemongrab... Ugh...

• Like 1

Adventure Time is a childrens show that caters to Adults in the best sort of way. Every so often there are moral stories than an Adult can look at and take it as deep insight that should be accepted in their own lives while children look at it as just a cute or funny show. I know my 12 year old self would never see what the show really is. It speaks to every age range differently but deep down has some great meanings to it. One of my favorite episodes was "Something Missing" where it's basically telling kids/adults that they need to be honest with themselves and others. That the secrets we keep or scare us might not be as bad as someone elses.

Most recently there was another episode...cant remember the name of it but it's about Finn (the boy) gets his frisbee caught in a tree so he climbs it. Gets tricked into eating a fruit that makes him tiny and is captured by the creatures that live in the tree. The creatures are afraid to leave the tree, all they know is the tree so they never leave. They try to stop Finn from leaving as well. Eventually Finn befriends a squirrel that swears that it's in fact a flying squirrel and they escape. The squirrel is so hard determined that he knows that he can fly but because everyone told him that he couldn't, he never even tried. Finn convinces him to just go for it and they jump from the tree...Squirrel can't freaking fly but the frisbee catches them and they ride away to safety on it. 

Thinking about that episode....How do you know you can't fly if you don't even try? (I'm not saying to jump off your roofs) But looking at my baby nephews it makes me appreciate their youth a lot more and encouraging them to do amazing things.

This show touches me and it's so deep for a childrens show. I agree with Nocturnes thing with the Ice Kings dementia. It's utterly heartbreaking but it's so real at the same time. I have so much sympathy for the Ice King even though he's the supposed "Villain" of the show. 

There IS a villain for Adventure time, but if you haven't watched the show yet, then I won't ruin it for you. 

OPEN YOUR SQUIRREL FLAPS!!!!

• Like 1

ALSO: I'm pretty sure BMO is a reference to transgenderism. He/She is often referred to as a "He" by his friends but frequently talks to himself as a girl in his reflection. His friends think he is weird for it and he only ever does it when Finn and Jake are not home. BMO is also voiced by a girl (Though it's not strange for girls to voice boys and boys to voice girls in animations), it was just an added thing to my theory that BMO is transgender. 

@[email protected] I own many seasons....almost all. 

And my breakfast song is the "Makin' bacon Pancakes" song.

Edited by MissMelons

To me, BMO is more of an expression of the innocence of childhood. Being transgender would be a stretch as BMO is a machine. BMO is the only one who isn't gender swapped during the Fiona and Cake episodes, but who doesn't love BMO? Who wants to play video games?  :blush:

To me, BMO is more of an expression of the innocence of childhood. Being transgender would be a stretch as BMO is a machine. BMO is the only one who isn't gender swapped during the Fiona and Cake episodes, but who doesn't love BMO? Who wants to play video games?  :blush:

How do you know BMO wasn't Gender Swapped? His/Her sexual organs are not openly apparent. Thus transgender. Everyone treats him like a boy normally but he himself speaks to himself as a girl. If BMO was in a gender swap episode he would look the exact same because he is a machine, but everyone would just refer to him as a she and he would refer to himself as a he. 

This probably isn't the best place to discuss that. Let's just enjoy Adventure Time!  ^_^

• Like 1

I've only dipped my toes in so far, but the cartoon does appear to deal with a lot of really deep issues about identity.

• Like 1

Adventure Time is all over the board about everything! I think that's why it appeals to adults as well as children. 

• Like 1

I can only stand it in small doses, or when I am in the right mood, but at the same time, I quite like it. There is a lot of depth to the show, beyond it's silly exterior. The level of things it touches on, is frankly astounding. You have Marceline, who at heart is a generally nice person, who just wants to be loved, but is afraid of being hurt after what she's experienced. Princess Bubblegum, driven to be 'perfect' to the point of being over stressed, Ice King's dementia, and an almost childlike need to be loved, without understanding what 'love' really is. Alll of this wrapped up in a zany exterior 

• Like 1

Throw all that in with Finn, who is in all likelihood, the only human being left alive in Ooo... (with the possible exception of Susan Strong, and as of Monday, Betty, who may be dead. I don't think Ice King qualifies as human in the traditional sense.)

Edit: Nope, she's seen on a flying carpet at the close spying on Ice King and Muscle Princess... 

Edited by Kharsin

Weird I just put Adventure Time on today for my daughter and we haven't wtached it in about a year! Then I check the forum and saw this post hehe. Ah hung over need to lay down and nap.

Its  a great show!

• Like 1

Love Adventure Time, though I do sometimes wish the plot to wacky comedy ratio was a bit more balanced, the plot episodes are my favourites but they're so rare!

Best thing was it really opened my eyes to western animated series, without Adventure Time I would never have even tried things like Gravity Falls or Rick and Morty let alone become a really big fan of them.