• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Hey! We have a tree! I'm happy with the way this one turned out. It's my first sculpt... (adds to sculpting thread) At any rate, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I've just got to figure out how to attach a canopy to this, what colors to paint it, how I want to do the vines that tend to cover live oaks, etc. At any rate, it's a milestone in our garden  :upside:

post-12973-0-91461100-1394606171_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-33141000-1394606173_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-93694900-1394606174_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-44992600-1394606176_thumb.jpg

Approximate location on the base:

post-12973-0-97675700-1394606177_thumb.jpg

I think I intended for the branches to wind a bit more. They look a little flatter than I'd like, but for a first run, we can live with it  ^_^ In hindsight, I should've used a heavier gauge wire for a tree this stout, but we live and learn and build more trees! 

• Like 8

So tonight it was back to painting! I've got to get Jazzy back in painting mode, or Liriel will be quite lonely in her garden. At any rate, here's what I was able to get done tonight. (iPhone 4 pics... LOL!)

post-12973-0-51126100-1394696670_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-03287300-1394696672_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-24734200-1394696673_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-26006700-1394696674_thumb.jpg

I think she's coming together nicely for the colors Jazzy chose. There are a few more details I need to go back and pick out, plus start work on her hair. I was hoping to do blonde, but Jaz has requested a brunette like herself. Under photography, Liriel's eyes still don't look quite right, but they seem pretty good in person. I may piddle with them some more, I'm not sure. It may just be the casting or the sculpt, as her left cheek looks a bit larger than the right. I was noticing that as I was painting the shadows on the face. The left cheek actually has quite an apple, while the right is more flat. Who knows? LOL!

• Like 8

Very nice painting on the elf bard. I like the pronounced knees, expressive facial features and subtle shading on the green shirt. The white hair also turned out nicely, as it doesn't communicate: old, but rather fair elven hair.

I understand you would like to add some foliage to the tree? If you want to achieve a realistic result and also bulk out the branches, I suggest a combination of Seemoos and MiniNatur foliage nets. They even have some oak foliage were you can see the characteristic leave shape. I guess for such a tree you look at one to two packs, each 3.60 Euro.

I won't highjack your thread, but put two sample pics of a tree I made into a spoiler box so you can decide if you like it:

img_0503.jpg

img_0866_zps8f347ca7.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice painting on the elf bard. I like the pronounced knees, expressive facial features and subtle shading on the green shirt. The white hair also turned out nicely, as it doesn't communicate: old, but rather fair elven hair.

I understand you would like to add some foliage to the tree? If you want to achieve a realistic result and also bulk out the branches, I suggest a combination of Seemoos and MiniNatur foliage nets. They even have some oak foliage were you can see the characteristic leave shape. I guess for such a tree you look at one to two packs, each 3.60 Euro.

I won't highjack your thread, but put two sample pics of a tree I made into a spoiler box so you can decide if you like it:

img_0503.jpg

img_0866_zps8f347ca7.jpg

Hey! Those trees look fantastic! I'll have to look at those foliage nets. I think I ran across them before, but didn't study them in detail.

The hair is actually just still primer. My iPhone 4 doesn't catch the detail that'd show it was primer. I always think the same thing when I post pics, and it'd probably work nicely. However, Jazzy has requested that the elf be a brunette as she is. I'd paint more tonight, but I've got to get up early and have an extremely busy weekend ahead. Normally that's not a problem, but I can't afford to be grouchy! LOL!

• Like 1

It's been a few days since I've painted, and fortunately, got a few colors in to try to finish Liriel. So I'm bouncing between Victoriana and Liriel... At least it's not high school again so there's no drama between the two  ::D: At any rate, I'm not sure if Liriel's finished or not. I'll look at her again after I've had some sleep and more natural light. I do know that I need to do some touch ups on her hair, and that the lute has given me FITS! She ended up being more red headed then brunette, but whatevs! I was experimenting with chestnut brown and that's how she finished out. I kinda like the Auburn look, but we'll have to see what the boss thinks.

post-12973-0-39135600-1395476827_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-56203400-1395476828_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-59019300-1395476829_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-60888400-1395476830_thumb.jpg

I've left the base pretty bland as I'm planning on basing up to the tree to cover up the broccoli look. I'm not sure how much more work I can do on that tree. I think overall I'm pretty satisfied, although I'm sure I'll find some things to touch up later. At any rate, after this I'm moving onto finishing up the Oak tree, then working on the ground of the garden itself. Jazzy's in charge of the animals, so we'll see how it goes!

Update: Just got Jazzy's approval on her so we may be done!  ::): 

I think I may need to carry out the auburn on her hair a bit close to her face (you can't see it in the pics, and it's hard to see without enhanced vision, but it's there) I'm not sure there's much more I can do to her at my skill level. I'm open to suggestions, but if none are forthcoming, I'll probably start the basing process this evening. 

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 7

Okay... It's all about THIS tree stump! Grrrrrrr! It's driving me nuts. I'm trying the wood triad and it's just giving me an overall grayish effect... which is to be expected as they're grey-browns. Still, I suppose I'm just having to learn the OTHER side of brown. It's giving me practice for the full-sized tree that I sculpted as I haven't started pairing it yet. I think I'll start out with a black primer on the big tree, as I'm not getting the shades I want on this stump. I THINK it doesn't look right as the shading on Liriel is better so... I'm going to step away and mess with it tomorrow. At any rate, I had to stain her base so it has to dry overnight before I can seal it, mount her to it (pending stump acceptability), seal them both, then base it out...

post-12973-0-92232500-1395550763_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Alright! So I've gotten the stump as stumpish as I can get it. I'm not sure how much more stumpy I could go without starting all over so I'm sticking a fork in it.

As you can see, Liriel is off that cork and onto her base. She was sealed with brush on sealer and the base drilled and figure mounted. It's all masked up as the base had to be dyed to match the main base it will be part of. Now, we just have to wait for all the sand and glue to dry before the final painting then Testor's Dullcoat, then we get to stick grass, flowers, and flock on it. This one's almost done, then we'll get out the pretty pics equipment... and then run back to finish up Victoriana!

post-12973-0-07993400-1395640668_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-28992600-1395640669_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-65034000-1395640670_thumb.jpg

post-12973-0-22172500-1395640672_thumb.jpg

P.S.: That's not a diaper in the background, it's my wet palette... LOL!

• Like 5