Peithetairos WIP :Goldar and a spirit.

Hi all,

at the moment I paint the Bones version of Goldar the barbarian. I first thought the sculpt is not that great and the Bones version has some issues with face detail, but we need a barbarian archetype for our RPG sessions and so I started painting him.

Only later I realised I had to go back and give him a proper nose (he lost his one in a casting accident...) and while I was at it also added some strains of hair as I didn't like the bald look.

After I finished all this I repainted the parts I had to scrape the paint of and went for the skin. I did not want to go to stark with the skin contrast and kept it subtle. Without any freehands he is a pretty boring sculpt, so I attempted to add a Maori style tattoo.

I consider the skin to be more or less done, the green cloth is done apart from the freehand which needs more contrast, the metal is done, the leather is done (I consider adding some freehand to make it look like decorations burned in the leather). Even so I consider them done I appreciate any suggestions how to improve him further). This is what I have so far:

img_4694.jpg

img_4692.jpg

I wonder what I should do to highlight the tattoo. I already know I can not just highlight it, but rather have to highlight the skin again to achieve an actual tattoo look. Does someone have experience with this and can give me an idea how dilute the skintone needs to be to achieve the look I would like to go for?

Looking at him again I also realised I might want the weapon to be a spear instead of an axe. I imagine him not to be a brute, but rather a proud tribal warrior, strong, fast and with a connection to his natural surroundings. I used a spear from the WGF Skeleton sprue and would also appreciate your opinion if it matches Goldar. I used some photoshop to get rid of the axe. Obviously the spear would be in his hand.

img_4695.jpg

img_4696.jpg

Edited by Peithetairos
  • Like 16
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From experience, giving him a spear is a pain in the tushy. On a metal version I replaced the axe with a spear, cutting off the handle of the axe in he back. The spear is very unstable, and I can't imagine he travels well (the mini I did was a gift). If I could do over I'd try to keep the handle in the back and only lop off the end of the axe to make a spear point.

Anyway, he looks fantastic. Those tatoos look really nice ::):

Great conversion work with the hair, fantastic tattoo design, and I dig the spear weapon swap - definitely listen to DF about keeping it in one piece if possible, and finally if you want to deepen those shadows on the green, do a deep red glaze down in there to give it more depth, it should look nice with the warm colors in his skin tone too.

Looking forward to seeing even more of your fantastic work around here!

Thanks everybody for the comments. I replaced the spear now and it was indeed much easier to drill a hole in his hand. Carving some shape in his back was not so easy, but that part will be covered by the spear shaft in any case.

Thank you also for the idea to shade the green with a red tone. Do you have any reference pictures where I can see how the effect looks like?

The tattoo work is pretty simple. You just need a brush that holds a very fine tip. I used some dark blue (5:1 water/paint) and carefully made the geometric pattern up as I painted. I tried to follow the muscular structure. While handling him to do the spear conversion I realised some of the tattoo rubbed of on his head. I guess the layer was so thin, that my hands just took it off. However, it will be easy to redo it.

I might try highlighting the skin afterwards VERY carefully with very dilute paint, but I hope it won't take out the vibrancy of the tattoo.

• Like 1

Willen and dontfear told me about it in my WIP thread (located in my signature) it was when I was painting up Aiwen so it'll be a little bit of looking through the thread, but Willen put up a piece of art in there that really demonstrated what it does. Link to Aiwen WIP is in my WIP 1st post Table of Contents.

@Youwashock: There is a German word "Verschlimmbessern" which perfectly describes what I fear would happen: Something that is already nice, will be ruined by trying to make it nicer...I'll paint up the parts I had to scratch of paint while doing the weapon swap and then look at the tattoo with fresh eyes. I guess only then I can finally decide if I leave it as is or try a very careful highlight.

No problem, I was hesitant at first, but I've done it a few times now and love the results. Highly recommend it to everyone when I see them doing red and/or green on this site, just paying it forward so to speak.

Wow. That's some impressive work. I've never tried tattoos but I've read tutorials where people give them a slight glaze of the skin tone--though I don't know if that's needed for a straight black one like yours. I would consider adding highlights to the thicker sections on the chest and a few other spots but I wouldn't make it too strong.

@MonkeySloth: Thank you for your comment. That might be the way to go. I could see a very thinned down shadow tone in the depper parts of his muscle structure and as you say some faint highlights on the thicker parts. I hope I can paint a bit tonight and shall make some more WIP shots.

• Like 1