Command or Headquarter CAV

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... you are referring to "leader" or special character models?

At present the "Force Group" is any given army. 

• Within that Force Group you have Squads that you are free to configure how you see fit (each is typically betwee four and six models). 
  • You are required to have at least one "attack" squad of at least four models (CAV and ground vehicles) per player.
    • Infantry squads typically have a much higher base count (base vs model as each base has at least three tiny little models).
  • You have the option of taking as many additional attack squads, as well as other squad types, as the mission points cap will allow.

At this time there doesn't seem to be any kind of Command squad type though there are a few models with C&C style functionality.  Special Characters would be represnted by Unit Cards that reflect that character's abilities while using a model of the appropriate type.  This eliminates the need to buy extra models to field those characters. 

• Example:  I want to field Grand Admiral Kraken of the Rach Empire.  Rather than pay $45 for a model specifically for him I only need a normal Dictator '70 painted up in his colors.  Hell, I could just use the one I have and use a specific color d12 to indiciate that model is him.

Otherwise I can simply choose which model/squad I want as my HQ/Commander and paint them accordingly.  However, I've heard whispers that there was the potential for a ranking/experience system in development that will give you the ability to better define how awesome a model/squad is based on the expirence of the pilot(s).

Here is a modern Armored formation to give you an idea of a command structure.

HQ Platoon: has 2 Tanks, 2 Bradleys, 4 Humvees and 3 MRAPS, 17 Personnel +

1st Platoon: has 4 Tanks, 4 Humvees, 16 Personnel +

2nd Platoon: has 4 Tanks, 4 Humvees, 16 Personnel +

3rd Platoon: has 4 Tanks, 4 Humvees, 16 Personnel +

4th Platoon: has 2 Bradleys and 6 Humvees, I think they have 30 personnel.

Each tank platoon is divided into 2 sections with two crews of 4 (the M1A2 has a crew of 4).

Pretty much just designating someone to be the primary target.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Each tank platoon is divided into 2 sections with two crews of 4 (the M1A2 has a crew of 4).

Except that Tank company's didn't integrate Bradley's into their force structure as part of doctrine. You maybe thinking of M113s for the HQs Plt. On occasion for specific missions Armored company's and Mechanized Inf company's would trade a single platoon for specific missions or deployments but those where always temporary force structure. Not rare to see happen but not MTOE, modified table of organization and equipment. This swapping became more frequent in the early years of the Iraqi War to help provide close support for the Abrahms when they were in cities.

A standard Bradley Plt was four Bradleys and 32 personnel, not counting support personnel but can transport up to another eight. What you have listed here is close to a Bradley HQ Plt, two Bradley's, four HMMWVs, two large trucks, typically the new five ton but a some have the old five ton still, and 20-25 personnel depending on MTOE and internal battalion force structure. MRAPS are currently strictly used only in the Iraqi and Afghanistan theaters and are not part of a normal MTOE while in garrison.

Former mechanized Infantryman retiring in six months.

Edited by nakos
  • Like 1

I love the A-10. And as much as the AF brass hates it they can't get rid of it. I mean what other aircraft in our arsenel can put a piece of shrapnel in every square inch of a football field in a single pass with enough ordinance to do it again several times.

• Like 1

I love the A-10. And as much as the AF brass hates it they can't get rid of it. I mean what other aircraft in our arsenel can put a piece of shrapnel in every square inch of a football field in a single pass with enough ordinance to do it again several times.

I hear this a lot. Why do the brass hate it so much?

Except that Tank company's didn't integrate Bradley's into their force structure as part of doctrine. You maybe thinking of M113s for the HQs Plt. On occasion for specific missions Armored company's and Mechanized Inf company's would trade a single platoon for specific missions or deployments but those where always temporary force structure. Not rare to see happen but not MTOE, modified table of organization and equipment. This swapping became more frequent in the early years of the Iraqi War to help provide close support for the Abrahms when they were in cities.

A standard Bradley Plt was four Bradleys and 32 personnel, not counting support personnel but can transport up to another eight. What you have listed here is close to a Bradley HQ Plt, two Bradley's, four HMMWVs, two large trucks, typically the new five ton but a some have the old five ton still, and 20-25 personnel depending on MTOE and internal battalion force structure. MRAPS are currently strictly used only in the Iraqi and Afghanistan theaters and are not part of a normal MTOE while in garrison.

Former mechanized Infantryman retiring in six months.

The example I posted was in use in Iraq.

Do these exist in the CAV game and what model would you use for one?  Thanks!

In CAV2 there is no designation or separate type for a HQ or Command CAV.

The element that coordinates the movements of the whole force is the HQ. In CAV the HQ is off-board but able to observe from great altitude.

The human player represents the HQ element.

Not rare to see happen but not MTOE, modified table of organization and equipment. This swapping became more frequent in the early years of the Iraqi War to help provide close support for the Abrahms when they were in use in the cities.

The example I posted was in use in Iraq.

Hence my comment about this swapping being common in Iraq.

Honestly while MTOE don't mix and match force structures, the military's concession for OPCON, operational control, gives Division Commanders the ability to mix company's and battalions as the mission dictates. And if the rumors are true, I haven't picked up the new book yet, 40K looks to be coming closer to this ability.

So if I get into CAV or not I hope that this ability is conveyed here.

In CAV2, and I imagine in SO, the only strict requirements are the types of models that can be in a section (analagous to a platoon) and how many secondary sections you can have in a force relative to primary sections (can't have more secondary sections than primary). Secondary sections being indirect fire, air, etc.