Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

Any terrain conversion suggestions for snap cubes?

post-12161-0-59469900-1393892853.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Cubes-Set-Of-100/dp/B000G3LR9Y

I got a decent number of these things and I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for them besides just Sci-fi crates. They work well for crate, especially if you plug the holes with something from the jewelry findings isle. Anyone got suggestions or experience with these? They are roughly 20mm square and the bottom peg cuts off easily enough.

I suppose if you were playing a Logan's Run style thing, or something in the vein of the original Star Trek, with pseudo-modern art stylings, you could stack three or five at a time, turned corner on each other, as a sort of modern art piece for a plaza area. Paint them to look like concrete or rusted metal.

One or two connected to a slide and some monkey bars might make part of a playground.

You could stick pipes out of them and turn them into junctions for heating/cooling systems or some sort of weird plumbing.

Could make walls/buildings out of them by stacking however you want then covering with a thin plasticard sheet so that it's a smooth surface that you can do whatever you want to it, basically like regular concrete blocks in buildings where they are covered up with dry-wall and painted. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Modrons?

I once tried making a 25mm scale modron army. We were testing out TSRs answer to Warhammer (whatever it was called: Batttlesomethingsuch). I used a bag of marbles as the basic level modrons.

Edit.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Could make walls/buildings out of them by stacking however you want then covering with a thin plasticard sheet so that it's a smooth surface that you can do whatever you want to it, basically like regular concrete blocks in buildings where they are covered up with dry-wall and painted. 

I was gonna suggest something along these lines. The only difference being; I was going to say either put some putty/clay on the finished structure to carve some detail into, or attack the structure with a dremel tool to create the 'handcarved' stone look.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      So I've been at grandma's after new year's eve and found a bunch of these metal kinder surprise toys. Scale-vise they are around 28mm heroic, so I've decided to give them a quick speedpaint, using some dollar-store acrylic paint and brushes :D, I wonder if they will look any good on the table during play :)

Next to a bones orc

• By Dr.Bedlam
      Now, MOST of us have a clue where the monsters came from, at least in a rudimentary sense. Tolkien invented the orc as we know it, and the giant spider in fantasy; Robert E. Howard seemed to have a thing for giant snakes. We know that centaurs came from ancient Greece, dwarves and trolls from Scandinavian myth, goblins from Western Europe, dragons from more or less everywhere, and so on. No, don't correct me; I'm bein' general here, and approaching a point.

I'm kinda curious, though: Where'd some of the weirdier critters come from?

It is legend among the Gamers and the Geekosphere about the bulette, the owlbear, and the rust monster. 

The legend has it that Gary Gygax, or perhaps Dave Arneson, back when The Game was just getting off the ground, had difficulty finding miniatures to represent various dungeon denizens. Keep in mind that historical miniatures, at the time, were relatively easy to find, (Knights, Archers, Men At Arms, and characters in general) but fantasy gaming as we know it did not yet exist. No mythological monsters! So Gary or Dave, or whoever... cheated.

And several inhabitants of the first edition (and later) Monster Manual had some rather peculiar origins. In the picture, at center front, you see what became the Bulette, whereas to the left, there's a Rust Monster and to the right, an Owlbear in brilliant yellow.

In the seventies, you could get these critters in bags in the dime store or on a spinrack in the drugstore, anywhere that sold cheap toys from no-name manufacturers. They were usually marked as dinosaurs, but this particular mob resembles no known prehistoric creatures; the majority of them seem to be knockoffs of monsters from Japanese TV shows like Ultraman, Spectreman, and other ancestors of the Power Rangers. Gary himself spoke about using plastic dinos in lieu of dragons, and the AD&D Monster Manual has the majority of dinos known to pop culture as of 1975. So Gary noticed them at the dime store, bought a bag, and pitted them against his players. And these three creatures became the dreaded Rust Monster, Bulette, and Owlbear, as well as becoming obscure but treasured collectors items among the lords of geekdom.

Which means that all the owlbear miniatures being made right now are all because of a cheap Taiwanese knockoff toy based on a man in a suit monster who appeared on a Japanese kidshow back in the sixties. Or seventies. Or whatever.

It could be that this thread will be doomed to obscurity. I rather hope not. I'm hoping that others will add to it with critters that started out as obscure toys that later achieved a sort of immortality as modern gaming mythology. Do add to it. I'm still more'n a little curious.
    • By Chaoswolf
      I also painted the crates from Bones 2.

• By Dr.Bedlam
      So I was at this store where they're selling off Skylanders toys at a steep discount... like a buck or two each. And I got to looking at this angry looking tree...

I found that it had much in common with Jason Wiebe's "Spirit of the Forest." But bigger. Regrettably, it was painted to resemble a sort of World of Warcraft Pokemon.

And so I bought a couple and began an experiment...

• By JDizzO
      Here is some dungeon filler I have collected.  I can't remember who I got the non reaper stuff from or I would tag them.  The traps/stairs are paper terrain on foam.  Of course the main attraction are the lovely Reaper pieces.

• Who's Online   37 Members, 4 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)