Hey! What kind of flowers does everyone use? I've seen some very nice ones and would have liked to add some to my recently completed Bladesinger. I'll probably order some for the next few projects, but was curious who's using what and are you pleased with the results? I've seen some especially nice white flowers on a few bases. So… what's the sitch?

• Like 1

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that begs the question: how does one make their own flowers? I did see some at Hobby Lobby the other day my Scene-O-Rama. They were some sort of sprinkle on flowers or something like that. I'm not sure how they work, unless you just sprinkle them over shrubbery or something that's been slathered with watered down glue. Still, that seems wrong somehow....

• Artists

Mini gyp is the name on the variety that I have managed to find most in scale with our figures. I think there's another variety, but I'm not remembering the name off-hand. I'll have to see if I can drag them out and look over all the labels.

I sometimes grab up fake plastic flowers at Michaels. Not big flowers like daisies, but complicated flowers on long stalks, with many small parts. The small parts can often be cut loose to become tiny flowers themselves.

I'm probably not explaining this well. I don't know the names of many flowers, so I'm not sure how to break this down further...

I'm glad you brought up the subject. I haven't included any flowers with my pieces in a very long time. SO when you mentioned it, I checked out Scenic Express; there are an incredible number of cool flowers & flowering shrubs...I can see a purchase coming on. That aside, here's a link:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/Flowers/products/1038/

• Like 1

Another Reaper forum member recommended these or something similar and I bought some, they are pressed flat but at this scale they just look like very tiny flowers. A bit of a pain to put on a base similar to working on model ships but nice results. Nice thing is they are dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/kinds-dried-flower-Ongles-decoration/dp/B0086LC0TO

Edited by Leader of the Rats

These both look really great! What scale should I be looking at to match our minis? I know that some of the more elaborate scenes I've seen have been of 54mm figures. What size flowers, tufts, etc. should we get to match our 25mm figs? 

I build some out of paper, as per the Necrotales tutorials. I also use natural ones I pick up around the yard, and dry. Finally I have a small plastic container of flowers used for nail art that work pretty well. 

• Like 2

I ended up ordering some meadow flowers (and a few other things) from The Army Painter. I guess I want to bring back the good ole days of waiting weeks for a package to come in, before the days of Amazon Prime. LOL! In the meantime, I may shop around for a few more colors, but I think these are the ones I was looking for. 

Edited by Kharsin
  • Like 1

Meadow flowers from Amy Painter are basically little gobs of white and yellow stuck to the end of their tufts meadow grass. They work fine, but the more I base the more I find myself wanting more flowery flowers. Soon, I will be placing an order with scenic express. It'll probably make hubby roll his eyes at me, hehe

• Like 3

These both look really great! What scale should I be looking at to match our minis? I know that some of the more elaborate scenes I've seen have been of 54mm figures. What size flowers, tufts, etc. should we get to match our 25mm figs? 

28mm is roughly 1:56 scale; SO that would match up with anything in O (model railroad) scale which is 1:48...slightly larger but it works.

• Like 1

• Artists

Foliage is a bit more forgiving for scale purposes, since plants come in different sizes. However, if you can, bring a figure with you into the hobby store or flower shop or whatever. Flowers that look very tiny when you're just wandering around looking can look a lot bigger than you think if you stick a miniature next to them! In railroad terms, anything HO or O is fine. For manmade stuff, O scale is the best fit for gaming scale, IMHO.

I'd forgotten about those nail art flowers. I'm glad someone remembered to mention, they're a great variety pack of small flowers.

A few notes from my experience of working with dried real flowers/plants and miniatures. You can usually paint these, so don't worry if you can't find a ton of colours, it's more useful to get a fairly light/neutral colour. Thin the paint some. You can also lightly drybrush/dampbrush some highlights on top once the flowers are dry. 

I've created plants and bouquets by gluing stuff together. I'll take a flower on a stalk, and glue on small leaves from another type (or even the scatter leaves). I've also picked out a few flower on a stalk types, surrounded them by leafier looking types, and wound a thin thread around the stems to create bouquets.

Most flower type products, whether dried real flowers or the foam stuck to tufts type, are on the more fragile side. If you want to use them on gaming bases that will get handled, try to put them close to a rock or the miniature's feet, and keep them away from the edge of the base. Glued together ones can be even more fragile. I've had some damage to ones I did on display bases, but then these are figures that I've been carting around to conventions for years.

• Like 2