Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Doc's Underwear

Having worked in men's clothing in a prior lifetime, in a store that sold the underwear in both resealable and non-resealable packaging, I certainly prefer the resealable kind when I'm working.  More often than not, the person buying the underwear is not a man.  Due to this, they need to look at it to make sure it's the right size.  Well, many of those shoppers had a blatant disregard for non-resealable packaging.  And people wonder why mens' underwear has gone up in price?  Seriously, we had to return about 1/3 to 1/2 of the stock every few months simply to be repackaged.  And we got charged for it! 

Resealable packaging meant that we didn't have to return anything, the company that sold ours the underpants was glad not to have to do so much repackaging, and, after the advent of resealable packaging, all we had to do was watch for goblins (male and female) attempting to try the underpants on.  I'm still trying to figure out why they wore it on their heads. 

• Like 4

The torn-package thing isn't just a mens' underwear thing. When I worked at K-mart, I saw plenty of womens' undies packages opened too.

As for the burrito instructions, about 25 years ago we had a gyro place in the local mall food court that had instructions on the package explaining that gyro can be eaten "with a fork or with fingers, though fingers are better eaten seperately"

• Like 8

Bought some new underwear this afternoon.

None of you are interested in my underwear. Hell, I'm not that obsessed with it, myself. I would not often bother with underwear at ALL except that my boss threatened to file a reprimand if I continued to come to work while not wearing any.

I threw out some underwear recently, the pairs that had reached the point where, upon being dug up by future archaeologists, they'd think they were some sort of ritual doily or something. But this meant I did not have enough underwear to last more than a week. Time to buy some new underwear.

I brought it home, and decided to wash it before wearing it. Six pairs. And that was when I noticed the thing that hurt my mind...

Can any of you tell me why men's underwear might possibly be sold in packages with RESEALABLE ZIPLOCK SEALS?

This is exactly the kind of meaningless question that damages my soul. Last time I was THIS worked up was when I noticed the burrito wrappers at Taco Bell included illustrated instructions on how to unwrap and eat the burrito without injuring yourself or accidentally eating any of the wrapper. 

WHY? WHY WOULD A BAG OF UNDERWEAR NEED RESEALABLE ZIPLOCK SEALS? Are there maniacal OCD guys who, upon wearing and washing the underwear, PUT IT BACK IN THE BAGGIE? Or, ghod help us, am I intended to reseal the package to keep the OTHER underwear FRESH while I wear that first pair?

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE THAT I DO NOT KNOW?

A serious answer?

Most likely the baggie is for traveling - so you can keep them separate in the suitcase.

Kind of a boring answer, but....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

[...]  TGP: Never thought about frequent flyers. When I travel, I tend to take my underwear with me. After all, I understand they sell men's underwear in Des Moines, but they could stop at any time. And how good could it really be?

Sarcasm presumed: but the serious answer is that there are job-shoppers and guys that get to platinum level frequent flyer mileage every couple of months ... it is not a lifestyle for everybody ... (sometimes you see job postings that say 90% travel required).

Guys like that replenish their wardrobe on the road.

_______

But I think Darkmeer has nailed it.

_______

As your punishment for getting us onto this topic (and making LK go " :huh: "). Riddle yourself this: if all the packages are re-sealable how do you know someone else (or a Goblin) has not opened and rifled each one? How do you find one that is pristine, how?? <_< <_< **

**(Clearly labeled sarcasm 'cuz this is the internetz..)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

I agree, it was an interesting wakeup as I've not finished my morning coffee yet and I have a few "X liked a post you made in Doc's Underwewar" notifications.

• Like 1

I logged on to find interesting notifications from this thread.

"Pingo liked a post you made in Doc's underwear."

YOMANK

• Like 2

I think it's reflective of the green trend - resealable package says to environmentally conscious consumers "look! I'm a product that's not wasteful!  I can be reused and am better for the environment than the almost identical package next to me which cannot be reused!" regardless of the likelihood or necessity of reuse.  Regardless of if you as a consumer use the ziploc function, and toss the packaging, the company can still claim on their checklists to have taken steps to use packaging that is easier to reduce, reuse, recycle.

I think it's reflective of the green trend - resealable package says to environmentally conscious consumers "look! I'm a product that's not wasteful!  I can be reused and am better for the environment than the almost identical package next to me which cannot be reused!" regardless of the likelihood or necessity of reuse.  Regardless of if you as a consumer use the ziploc function, and toss the packaging, the company can still claim on their checklists to have taken steps to use packaging that is easier to reduce, reuse, recycle.

What did Darkmeer say about product being shipped back and forth for repackaging?  Reducing the number of times the product has to go back and forth from retailer to producer means less trips, less trucks, less logistics expense, less fuel burned. That becomes an easily quantifiable 'Green' action / carbon savings. (What is the term the environmentalists would prefer?)

Does Reaper do that? Ask or Allow stores to send back minis that have become un-blistered on the shelves; repack them in new blisters and out they go again?

• Like 1

What did Darkmeer say about product being shipped back and forth for repackaging?  Reducing the number of times the product has to go back and forth from retailer to producer means less trips, less trucks, less logistics expense, less fuel burned. That becomes an easily quantifiable 'Green' action / carbon savings. (What is the term the environmentalists would prefer?)

Does Reaper do that? Ask or Allow stores to send back minis that have become un-blistered on the shelves; repack them in new blisters and out they go again?

Yes.  Sometimes we simply melt the old figures, if we have significant quantities on hand already.  Melt and re-cast is sometimes more efficient, and certainly saves on metal, than keep and re-package.

I am just waiting on Reaper to drop the blister packs and go with resealable baggies with the information card inside.

I logged on to find interesting notifications from this thread.

"Pingo liked a post you made in Doc's underwear."

Soooo  many things I wanted to say to this....

Most not board appropriate.....

• Like 3

Hmm..interesting thought...but maybe this is a "man problem"

Women buy underwear because their old ones are getting a bit tatty..and thus they go to the store, buy a new pack, take them home, open and discard the package, maybe wash them once to make them softer, and wear them.

Men, quite possibly (being that I have not yet experienced that walk in life) buy new underwear because their old ones are dirty..like really reeeally dirty, so they go to the store, buy a pack, unzip the bag, remove the new skivvies, remove their soiled skivvies, put on new clean drawers, and discard hopelessly soiled garments in the zipped bag in the appropriate HazMat container.

:D :D :D :D

Edited by Spike
  • Like 3