Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Is sticking to an alignment a limitation on your roleplaying?

To look at alignment as a penalty or tool tpdo be usurped by the Dm is a little short sided. Rpgs are meant to be about heroes. Heroes are torn by warring emotions and the difficult decisions they have to make. Alignment gives them a guideline to achieve this conflict.

Be it a comic book character, or the hero from classic literature, they all have a set perception of what must be done. What creates unique role-playing and the best there is is the choices they must make.

As a long time dm i will say that. Alignment is a good tool when used correctly to keep the game pn the rails. Some casual alignment reminders when players are getting way of track....telling a ranger that those orcs eating a dude is pretty inherently evil and that he should act on my blatant adventure hook.

We have also discovered a long time. ago that evil characters tend to ruin games. Mainly because of people who think evil is cool (beavis and butthead laugh). These people mostly want to cause trouble and should be avoided as it causes inter party conflict and death. Lots of lost work for the Dm and players. Not that evil shouldn't be used. But evil should be smart...in other words...the Emperor from star Wars and not snydley whiplash

As for "breaking" paladins... I agree. It is not fair to single them out for breaking...so to be fair I try to break everyone.

Edited by turcules
  • Like 4

To look at alignment as a penalty or tool tpdo be usurped by the Dm is a little short sided. Rpgs are meant to be about heroes. Heroes are torn by warring emotions and the difficult decisions they have to make. Alignment gives them a guideline to achieve this conflict.

Be it a comic book character, or the hero from classic literature, they all have a set perception of what must be done. What creates unique role-playing and the best there is is the choices they must make.

As a long time dm i will say that. Alignment is a good tool when used correctly to keep the game pn the rails. Some casual alignment reminders when players are getting way of track....telling a ranger that those orcs eating a dude is pretty inherently evil and that he should act on my blatant adventure hook.

We have also discovered a long time. ago that evil characters tend to ruin games. Mainly because of people who think evil is cool (beavis and butthead laugh). These people mostly want to cause trouble and should be avoided as it causes inter party conflict and death. Lots of lost work for the Dm and players. Not that evil shouldn't be used. But evil should be smart...in other words...the Emperor from star Wars and not snydley whiplash

As for "breaking" paladins... I agree. It is not fair to single them out for breaking...so to be fair I try to break everyone.

That being said I once had a Paladin try and commit suicide based on her personal and moral failings in light of a great oppressing evil being. I would think alignment made a pretty awesome game that day. Edited by turcules
  • Like 1

You all see now why I have been conditioned to enjoy hardship, and why I usually make characters like desert plants - built to thrive in harsh environments. 

Haven't broken any of mine yet*.  20 years, still going strong.  Now you have some tasty gnome to try with, and maybe this time you'll succeed. 

But I'm willing to bet there's still enough heart left in you to feel bad about it. 

*The Tally:

Araxania the Mystran Priest - campaign ended due to other issues.  Lived all the way through.  Partial points for the Beastmaster.  -8 AC just wasn't good enough, terror inflicted.  Close, but I rallied back.

Samnos "Just a Fighter" - campaign ruined by players to make a Simpson joke.  See following entry.

Black Ivana the Tiefling - that one almost broke you.  Gives me great joy to know I'm banned from making that or anything like that again.  Specifically made to ruin other people's fun following "the pinchy incident", but somehow made things fun doing it.  And, yes, I do still feel bad.  But they had it coming.  And I always made sure to try to kill myself along with everybody else, they just kept saving me for some reason. 

Thelonius Atherius, Paladin of Tyr - died due to bad dice rolls and eaten by bugs, but not on your shift.  Shame, because I was hoping you'd try to break him (and fail)

The Doomguard - survived, unbroken, managed to be Chaotic Neutral but still a team player.  Story unresolved, see following entry.

Buglips The Goblin - died due to random cookie-cutter wizard explosion after nearly three years of epic build-up and play.  Campaign shared with Doomguard alternate ended thusly, and I almost never played an RPG again.  Wild Mages forever banned thereafter. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1

Wherever we might disagree, I absolutely agree with this. (And I've been that guy, though in my defense, I was young and dumb and I got better.) Disruptive characters are NPCs, whether they start out as NPCs or not.

• Like 1