Sign in to follow this  
NomadZeke

Dwarven Forge Cavern Tiles

For me I have wanted DF caverns for over 10 years, so to not take is opportunity would be crazy.  If in ten years I have not used them at all (not likely) I can sell them.  This is the time to get them.   

• Like 5

You can always have your rewards sent to me.  my 5 sets can use the company ;)

Thank you for the generous offer Bryan.  I will put you down as my backup plan :;):

I started off over-pledging $450, and increased to $580, which really is about my limit. The add-ons are going to kill me, especially with only around $165 left that I can spend on them.

I haven't played D&D with my group since October, so I found myself saying, "Should I really buy these, especially with our lack of playing lately?"

The answer? Yes.

I won't beat a dead horse and discuss why they are more expensive this time around. I also know that I am buying painted sets this time, which is only adding to the cost.

However, I know they will never be this cheap again, the stretch goals and add-ons so far have been pretty cool, the quality and durability cannot be beaten (even with a hammer,) and I know the product is awesome.

As far as I can tell, this will be my biggest Kickstarter of the year. I kinda planned for it, as I was waiting for and expecting it. Will the hit to my wallet hurt 4/8? Sure, but as a backer of their first one, I felt that the product justified the cost, same as I do this time.

• Like 1

Actual Legit question, all:

I am getting all of my sets unpainted.  The Lava sets have some unique sculpts, but are they worth it as an add-on unpainted, beside unpainted main sets?

Thoughts/opinions requested.

Possibly not.  The lava set looks to only contain 1 varient of the floor tile, which you wouldn't miss, particularly if the add mud pots similar to the original resin Cavern set - they could be painted similar to the fumeroles/vents.  I chose the painted add-on because I know I wouldn't easily/quickly get the same coloration shown in the photos.

I think the unique sculpt for the Lava set will probably show up as a streach goal for the main sets at some point.  I also think I'm more interested in the crevace set then the water becauese it you put blue under it it'll look like water and be a double use, lol.  At least hopefully.

Other than the new floor, the lava add on pack is mostly additional B and C tiles, which I think will be good to have in greater number than currently available as just the Stretch goals.  The only downside is that it increases the number of A floor tiles.  I am planning on getting an unpainted lava add on to supplement my unpainted 5 sets for those reasons, the new D floors and the increased number of B and C tiles.

First Painted vs. Unpainted.

This is one set I can justify getting the painted version, because it is more difficult, includes more steps, and is only $20 more expensive than the base set.

However, if you do decide for whatever reasons to get the unpainted version, I say it's not worth it for just the unique tiles. I would think most people with a passing familiarity of green stuff could add those floor vents themselves. The only benefit you are getting is more C and B pieces than you would get from the proportion of the add-ons. So I am leaning personally it's either painted or not getting it.

So far what I can see it's not a KS exclusive, with all the very appetizing looking other add-ons, I might not have room for either the painted or unpainted version in my budget.

In Short: No, I wouldn't buy the unpainted lava set.

• Like 1

I am getting all of my sets unpainted.  The Lava sets have some unique sculpts, but are they worth it as an add-on unpainted, beside unpainted main sets?

Good question, and I'm wondering the same thing myself. Not useful in the "do this thing" sense, but ... supportive?  ^_^

Good question, and I'm wondering the same thing myself. Not useful in the "do this thing" sense, but ... supportive?  ^_^

I'm not a stellar painter, but I think I could do an ok job with the lava paint. I'm not a huge fan of the prototype (too red? not enough cool spots?).

Plus, it lets me be a little more flexible on what the lava looks like.  I don't think the addon is worth it compared to buying another set.

I'm also a cheapskate and trying to keep a lid on my spending- so I'm at 2 for the stretch goals, and sorely tempted to bump up to a third.  The water addon will be a must add as well.  If the water is too difficult to reproduce, I'll go for painted. 

I'm more interested in the crevace set then the water becauese it you put blue under it it'll look like water and be a double use, lol.  At least hopefully.

I think it would be nice to have both.  Then I can use the river water for shallows and crevice for the dark lake and deep rivers.