Sign in to follow this  
Feffer

Brushes No Longer Shipped to the U.S.

Help! I have just started painting mini's and want to purchase some Kolinsky Sable brushes. However, after some research, I have discovered due to some new requirements by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, they are no longer being shipped to the U.S. (http://www.winsornewton.com/news/us-stock-announcement)

How are you getting your brushes? Any suggestions on other types of brushes?

Dickblick.com

Scratch that, just saw they are on an indefinite backorder.

Might have to make an over seas friend to ship them. The few I see now are from import anyways but for 30$ a brush inc shipping. (Size 2/0). Pfft. There are other good brushs to use. The maestro is good. I got a kolinsky mix something from utrecht that's my mule for a lot of stuff. It was a good seven dollars and hasn't failed me yet.....its in some old brush posts. (I'm on my phone so I can't ....I am too lazy to find the link at this moment).

Edited by MissMelons

Dickblick.com

Scratch that, just saw they are on an indefinite backorder.

They are out of stock on Winsor & Newton brushes also. BUT they do have Raphael in stock, which are very good also:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/raphael-kolinsky-red-sable-fine-pointed-round-series-8404/

It looks like Raphael figured out the import problem as I see them in a few places now. Wonder why W&N and Davinci are still having problems actually.

• Like 1

It looks like Raphael figured out the import problem as I see them in a few places now. Wonder why W&N and Davinci are still having problems actually.

Frankly I like my winsor over my Raphael. @_@ havent tried davinci yet. I got a Raphael specifically for fine details and it handles like a greased up cowlick from hell. It might magically be abandoned at Reapercon. Let's put it that way. @_@

• Like 1

There was a thread about this a while ago.  (I'd paste a link but my browser won't let me do that.)  I did, however, order some Rosemary & Co brushes around Christmas.  I haven't used them yet, I've been using a W&N and a da Vinci I managed to get off of Amazon.  The W&N doesn't like to hold a point for more than about a minute's worth of work, so I can't say I'm super-impressed.  The da Vinci has been working well.  (I think it's an N36, if that helps.) 

The Rosemary & Co brushes were recommended, I just haven't wanted to deal with the learning curve.  I've heard that a good W&N is magical, but they're not all deemed 'good'. 

I had heard mumblings about this being fixed, but perhaps there's still issues.  If worst comes to worst, I'll be having brushes sent to my parents' place in Canada.  :devil:

I really like the Raphael and Davinci brushes.  But then never had a problem with a W&N one other.  But I generally grab one of the others first it seems.  I've got a friend in London for a week and he offered to pick some up and I told him to not worry about it given I'm quite happy with the Raphael and Davinci ones.

Brushes are pretty personal. My favorite are the DaVinci's (which I can't get) and the Raphaels (which are available through dick blick). I have never had any luck with W&Ns.

So THAT'S where my freaking brushes are! Oh for Pete's sake! "Hi, we're the government, we want to restrict EVERYTHING!"

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Feffer!

I'm glad I got a W&N #2 when I did. I don't know if I should start using it or wait til the import mess is squared away... it's a good that I've got decent supply of other brushes. DaVinci series 10 #0, Raphael 8408 #0 W&N Series 7 Miniature #000,00,0  Royal & Langnickel Majestic synthetics (haven't used these yet but they seem to hold a point when wetted and flicked).

I hear that the Raphael Kaerell 8394 Series are good for general work such as base coating and the like.

if it wasn't for potential legal issues, I would bring some W&N's down to Reapercon. As it is, that may not be wise.

If it isn't 'for sale' I don't think it matters. Then again the Feds have been rather fascist for the past couple of decades. :unsure:

• Like 2

Frankly I like my winsor over my Raphael. @_@ havent tried davinci yet. I got a Raphael specifically for fine details and it handles like a greased up cowlick from hell. It might magically be abandoned at Reapercon. Let's put it that way. @_@

Like Heisler, I fairly strongly prefer both da Vinci and Raphael to W&N. My preference is for the Raphaels, though.

There's almost nothing I can't do with a Raphael #1 (I mean nothing that I can do with any other brush.) I'm no Marike.  ^_^

• Like 1

I recently picked up two Raphael 8404s from dickblick. They do seem to hold paint as well as, and hold their point longer than, the one series 7 that I own. The series 7 is apparently not one of the 'good' ones people rave about. I'm still learning to really use a good sable brush though.

The Games and Gears kolinsky sable brushes? I use one of them to clean out the paint cup on my airbrush, the rest sit in a disappointing bundle in my desk drawer. They serve as a reminder that you can't have good, cheap and fast all at once. 

The taklon brushes from the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits work better than the GnG things. My first Reaper Pro Paint 0 with peeling finish and a ferrule abused by pliers and gorilla glued the the handle still gets regular use.

• Like 1

I got a Series 7 off amazon last year, but I also didnt get one of the "good" ones. I now use Rosemary and Co, and love them. Though it does seem that R&C are a size smaller then the S7s (S7 #2 is equal to about a R&C #3)

I'm with Heisler and Doug. Da Vinci Maestro Series 10 and Raphael 8404 or 8408. Haven't had good luck with Winsor & Newton.

Ron

• Like 1