A song you haven't heard in years

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had any good music nostalgia moments recently?   I had one today with this      Share links

It was all Buglip's fault. He began it. Shadowraven of course then said it would be kinda funny if everyone did. And being the nature of this place, it has happened

Aard hisses disapprovingly at Thes. What is this silliness; this use of me and I? Foolishness. Aard snorts and nevertheless offers up a song of her own.   Pushing the Speed of Light   Aard apologi

Crazy. I graduated in '03. I...I don't feel like I'm almost 30.  :blink:

There wasn't a whole lot in the way of awesome music in the 90's, that I can recall. I'm sure there were select songs that were good, but overall, it just wasn't as good as the 80's. In my opinion.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 2

Crazy. I graduated in '03. I...I don't feel like I'm almost 30.  :blink:

There wasn't a whole lot in the way of awesome music in the 90's, that I can recall. I'm sure there were select songs that were good, but overall, it just wasn't as good as the 80's. In my opinion.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I graduated in 1980 and I don't feel like I'm almost 55. Sometimes, on a really cold day I feel 60  ::D: 

• Like 3

I started University the year that Nirvana released 'Nevermind' and I left the year Cobain killed himself. So my uni years were the grunge years and when I look back on them now it's the music that comes to mind first.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

four days without comment, did i upset someone?

Did I win the interwebz?

That's cause I've only been coming back here to watch/listen to the Scatterings of Africa video.

:;):

So I haven't thought about Johnny Clegg in a long time but I've been listening to this video quite a bit lately. Figured I'd google Johnny Clegg to see what he's been up to lately, and it turns out he's coming to Vancouver to do a concert in 2 weeks time. Small world.

Turns out the concert is sold out, and I don't know that I could've afforded the tickets anyway, but how odd is it to be reminded of a song I haven't heard in years, been listening to repeatedly since, and then find out the artist is coming here this month.

• Like 2

Johnny Clegg, his music and journey had a huge impact on me when I was a young man. I had all but forgotten him in recent times, until Nelson Mandela passed away. I was reading (well, really listening, to an article titled "Top Ten Songs About Nelson Mandela" http://www.thenation.com/blog/175037/top-ten-songs-about-nelson-mandela and when I listened to Asimbonanga it all came crashing back.

Growing up, I had no real political awareness, but the first song on that top ten list, Nelson Mandela by The Specials had a profound effect on me. I was attending St. Francis Xavier University at the time, and it has a large African student base thanks to the Coady House. I actually remember my first conversation about Mandela. I was playing the song and a South African student there started talking to me about him. I was embarrassed that I loved this song with a catchy beat but never bothered to ask myself who this Mandela was. It was the same student who introduced be to Johnny Clegg. When he went home, he left me his cassette of Scaterlings and African Litany with the amazing song Impi. It was only later, after moving to Toronto, that I realized it was probably easier for me to get a copy of a Juluka album in Canada than it was for him in South Africa thanks to the aparthied government. Of course thanks to songs like Nelson Mandela, Sun City and Give Me Hope Joanna over the next few years pretty much everyone became aware of the situation.

• Like 1