Figuring out NMM on rounded objects/armor.

redpiano

Hello again again.

After my last thread about lining I'm now investigating NMM techniques, I've watched a bunch of videos and tutorials and have a pretty good understanding of it, lift the brush off where you want the paint, work real thin and use lots of layers etc. But nobody shows how to do this stuff on anything except straight edged weapons, but most of the cases where I'll be using it involves armor which has more rounded surfaces.

So first of all, general NMM/layering question, what ratio of paint to flow aid/glaze medium do you use? I've been trying between 1:3 paint/medium and higher cause anything lower than that it seems like there's too much pigment and I'm not layering anymore I'm just sloshing paint on.

But more importantly, how do you do rounded objects and armor. I think this is a nurgle lord or something, but the helmet is what I'm having trouble with, it's black now but my several attempts have been horrible.

post-12995-0-89418400-1395536312_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that's been a point of frustration for me lately, I take all my mini photos quite close and with large image files but most people upload little tiny pictures from real far away so I can never tell if my minis look bad or good because nobody really actually SHOWS what their paint job looks like.

I took a couple other pictures and you're right it doesn't look like metal, I don't know why exactly though,

When in doubt, go look at some real armor. Photographs of actual helmets make it easier to see how and why they look metallic.

Just as good a resource are Renaissance portraits, because then you can see the art of how they crafted the illusion of the metallic qualities.

Have a look at Tintoretto's Portrait of a Young Man in a Gold Decorated Suit of Armor.

Note that the helm and armor, although quite shiny silver, are almost all near-black, with only relatively narrow, relatively confined, very bright highlights which both reflect the surroundings and follow the armor's contours.

You can almost see the reflection of the room in that helm.

A helmet is shaped like a convex mirror. It is going to reflect things like a silver globe, small and sharp and high contrast.

In your first photo, the light naturally forms a point highlight of white on the helm. In addition, there is a hazy patch of warm reflection from your skin color on the upper left and a hazy patch of cool blue reflection from the ambient room light on the upper right. Something like that in paint would make the helm look more metallic than the broad, diffuse highlighting of the second photo.

• Like 1