Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Since Callie is coming to a close, I have been preparing the Oxidation Beast.
I have one in metal also, so I will paint both together.
I had some 40mm hollow, round lipped bases that seem like a good fit. I used some styrene model train cobblestone for one, and sculpted dressed stone tiles for the other.
I plan for one to use the 5th Edition Monster Manual color scheme (Bones)
And the metal one to follow the Pathfinder Bestiary 1 color scheme. It has a red with black stipple color scheme.
It's been awhile since I have painted! Summers are always busy for me.
A few months back I was approached by an old friend who got back into DnD. He started to buy some minis, and I showed him my profile here.
Back in June, he called me to ask if I would be interested in painting a special character for his campaign- Harshnag the frost giant. The mini looked cool and I really wanted to help him out, so I said bring it on!
It's taken me far too long to do this, but you know what? I kind of like re-paints. There's a level of pressure that's taken off with color choice that is really nice.
Anyway, I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few.
This is what arrived- pre-painted from WOTC, but only color blocking (ans often a bit sloppy in places). The whole thing would need to be painted over since I'd probably mess up color matching.
Here's after having done steps 1-10 or so. Model mostly re-painted and shaded, highlighted, and drybrushed where it needs to be. Still some work to do on the leather. Also decided to add in some bronze for a pop of color- though my buddy specified he wants it weathered and worn down.
Here we are after doing the verdigris. The chainmail will be rusted as well- after doing the final verdigris highlights I'll move to the chainmail.
I really like the messy verdigris look- I think it draws my eyes to it more, though I'll be continuing to refine a range of verdigris effects in this and future works. The nice thing is I am working on a quick and dirty verdigris technique that I think works really well!
Anyway, enjoy! C&C welcome as always.
This is my first go at using chipping medium, and in all an experiment with weathering.
Just wanted to share my experiment with everyone, do not really consider this as a tutorial as I did not know what I was doing. :o)
1. A piece of a blister pack plastic, prime black, and painted a mix of Black Brown and Dry Rust.
2. Wet blending with following colors in random pattern; Black Brown, Wet Mud, Explosion Orange.
3. Wash with mix of Flesh Wash and Dark Red.
4. Stipling and a bit of wet blending with Wet Mud and Explosion Orange.
5. Wash with mix of Flesh Wash and Wet Mud.
6. Adding Chipping medium to the top and water and salt to the bottom.
The idea with the salt is that it can be peeled of later to leave 'paint chips'. But I only seen it achived with an airbrush, so wanted to try it with brush.
7. Green paint, couple of layers. Way most of the salt fell off, leaving only the very small pieces, they do give a good structure of rust-bubling paint though.
8. Water to start the chipping. I ned a bit more patience, so the first chips went too deep and removed some of the brown paint too. And to get the chipping look good seems to need some practice..
I used a tooth brush and a tooth pick to scratch the green paint off.
9. 'Repaired' some places with stipling of Wet Mud and Explosion Orange and a wash of Dry Rust.
10. Added streaks with Strong Tone and Dry Rust. And made the rust patches darker with Dry Rust.
Those streaks really breathed life into the decay.
Came out allright, but the streaks seems to be making a big difference.im
Who's Online 43 Members, 2 Anonymous, 340 Guests (See full list)
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Hack Mini Painter
- Colonel Kane
- Chris Palmer
- Doug Sundseth
- Reverend Shartan
- Dan d'Lyon
- Dr Bob