theleast

77102: Ebonwrath (A Study in Obsidian)

Given how helpful I found my Pathfinder Red Dragon WIP Thread, I've decided to start a new one for my next large project: Ebonwrath!

Here he is assembled:

post-12524-0-83095300-1395737127.jpg

And here's a base. I started with a Renedra 120mm Elipse platic base, then built it up with cork, glue, sand and bonsai stones.

post-12524-0-09374400-1395737130.jpg

Here's the final assembly:

post-12524-0-24540400-1395737133_thumb.jpg

I added a little more corck to support his feet, as he doesn't sit perfectly flat, and added green stuff to his joins and the base.

For a colour scheme, I decided to stick with making him a panther-like black dragon, but I wanted to experiment with lighting a bit. I've settled on an obsidian theme - high contrast, gleaming skylight from above contrasted with gold and red lava flame from below.

Here's a mock-up I did in Photoshop:

post-12524-0-70455500-1395737136_thumb.jpg

Next step: Base coat! I'm glad I bought a spare bottle of Pure Black...

• Like 20

You've made an EXCELLENT start on the Beasty. It will be a pleasure watching the developments. Have FUN with it all!

Very cool idea, I'm very interested to know how this turns out.

I'm flattered and humbled by all the interest, thank you all!

Base coat is done:

post-12524-0-04338200-1395823326.jpg

So he's black now. Not much else to say about that, except that base-coats are hard to photograph, and no matter how much paint I slap down I always seem to miss a spot.

Oh, I also prepped his eyes:

post-12524-0-84959000-1395823328.jpg

They're going to have the same fiery colour scheme as the base.

Tomorrow I head to The Tin Soldier (local hobby store) to look for a good shade of deep red. I like VJ's "Burnt Cadmium Red", but it's a bit too glossy for my taste. I'm hoping to find something with a more matte finish.

• Like 10

Might I suggest starting the lava/fire area before the body? Since it looks like you'll be using yellow to orange to red to brown to black, it would be a crying shame should some of the brighter colours accidentally wind up on some finished scale area.

Bonsai stones? Look like pea pebbles to me.

Edited by scorpio616

The first stage of the lava glow is done:

post-12524-0-81081400-1395895841.jpgpost-12524-0-63712100-1395895844.jpg

Pure Black > Splattered Crimson

I haven't bothered with colour-correction, so ignore how yellow/brown everything is :)

Washes for the base, so the colour settles into the cracks, and regular brushwork for the dragon, so the cracks stay black. Next step is to continue building the red to orange and then to yellow using the same techniques. When these colours are done, I'll carefully drybrush the base back to black again.

Might I suggest starting the lava/fire area before the body? Since it looks like you'll be using yellow to orange to red to brown to black, it would be a crying shame should some of the brighter colours accidentally wind up on some finished scale area.

I'm doing the base and body simultaneously to save on paint, but yes, I'll have to be careful. Since the base is just washes until the final layer, I'm not too worried about it.

Bonsai stones? Look like pea pebbles to me.

Well Bunnings (Australian hardware franchise) stocks them in Bonsai supplies :P
  • Like 14

I've now layered the underglow up to orange:

post-12524-0-28788200-1395993607.jpgpost-12524-0-64385700-1395993612_thumb.jpg

Pure Black > Splattered Crimson > Lava Orange

It took another four layers to move from red to orange with thinned and mixed colours. I'm hand-painting the dragon now (no more dry-brushing), and then using the brightest shade as a wash on the base:

post-12524-0-47257200-1395993618.jpg

The base will look much better when I re-blacken the rocks.

Next step: From Laval Orange to Sun Yellow...

• Like 14

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now