Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
From the first Bones kickstarter:
I am diving into some more of the white-undercoated Bones 1 models that are cluttering up my Drawers of Doom, models that for some reason or other have been stuck in limbo never to get to painted-heaven. These Bones are mainly painted with Contrast Paints for speed.
This is 77119 Sinessa, Hellborn Sorceress.
It was part of the "Bedevilled" subset of the Bones 1 Core set.
Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi. 25mm base.
The Skin is Flesh Tearers Red Contrast with a careful drybrush of thinned Citadel Wazdakka Red Layer on. The Gold is Vallejo Necro Gold and old Chestnut Ink.
A few weeks ago I posted my Paladin (Essach Stonebreaker) converted from a bones Duke Gerard miniature. This is that same character, but advanced to more heroic levels (we'll see if he actually lives that long in this campaign lol).
Presenting Duke Gerard in metal, converted to hold a mace / morningstar / scepter from the "Good" weapons pack from Bones III.
Like: First attempt doing anything like the landscape on the shield. Generally good depth of color. Got the face much, much better than on the plastic version (part of that is thanks to the sculpt though...better detail). Better management of blonde hair on a pale face, which is tough since that risks being very low-contrast (and by proxy, low-interest). Better at abutting color - I'm still too reliant on black lining for my line work, which leads to deep shadowing...not always a great look.
Needs work: Smooth lines, patience...I'm not painting at tabletop speed or anything, but I'm probably still working too quickly to accomplish show-worthy painting. Looks great at arms length, but I can notice the hell out of flaws, lumps, and bumps as I get closer.
Still, it's a step forward for me. Additionally, I finally got a light box so I can improve the pictures just a wee bit! In fact, the little white flecks on the substrate are from a previous mini photo shoot ( a white dragon, which I will post later). My next goals are 1: to get better at slowing down and smoothing out my lines and 2: to work on my mini photography.
Anyhoo: here's Duke Gerard, converted into my 5e Paladin of Lathander, Essach Stonebreaker!
Duke Gerard converted into my current D&D 5e character (a paladin of Lathander). Generally happy, except for the face AND ALSO the highlighting on the shield came out too sharp on the black portion. Will probably go back over it. The head sculpt is...well...shallow detail and an offset cast. I did what I could with it. Also put a little too much trust in the "fair skin" triad...low-contrast compared to other triads. Had to go back with a flesh wash, repaint...got a little lumpy.
The rose-hewed cloak is for Lathander. The red-black-gold shield is his family crest. Clipped off his sword and replaced with a mace from the weapons pack.
100% reaper paints including the steel triad, fair skin triad, gold triad, dragon red & flesh blood. Black wash on the armor, sepia wash on the gold accents. Hair is buckskin pale over leather brown. Rose color is a combination of dragon red and khaki highlight.
This represents the character at level 5 or so. Hoping he survives to 10, because I'm painting Duke Gerard in metal to represent a more advanced version of this character.
Who's Online 26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)