So, I am trying to organize my painting area better. I recently made a new box that has room for over 100 bottles of paint, organized by colour, so the first problem is sorted out. The second is my brushes. Are there any tips on how they should be stored to prevent problems, and still have them at hand?

• Like 2

I have a bamboo cup I got from utrecht for like two bucks that I store my brushes in. I store them upside down to help them keep their points after I clean them. if I'm putting them away wet, I've found that storing them upside down helps them A LOT. 

Realized I sounded like a mad woman that puts her brushes upside down unprotected. No I keep my plastic cover tip thingies and I keep them on my good brushes and store THEM upside down.

Edited by MissMelons

upside down, as in bristles up I'm assuming?Bristles down seems like a bad idea

Yeah I added later that I have the plastic tip protectors on them so they rest on those and not their bristles. 

I had a cheap plastic pencil box lying around, so I use that for my brushes. I don't have anything to hold them upright, so my brushes are stored sideways. This probably isn't the best for them, but it's what I have right now.  -_-

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Sideways isn't bad. I actually store my working brushes hair-end up, which, ehrm, isn't as good for them.

A bamboo sushi roll makes an excellent brush holder. Roll them up and they will be kept sideways, well ventilated, and not rubbing against each other.

• Like 4

At work I've got a locking pencil box thingy from the dollar store. Keeps them safe and together.

At home I've been using a food storage container that I snagged from the kitchen for my brushes I keep upstairs, but I should probably get another one of those pencil boxes as my wife wants the other container back.  Letting them breathe would likely be good for them, but if air can get in, so can a cat...

I have a couple of the Games and Gear bamboo racks down in the basement (where the cats aren't allowed) sitting on my painting desk I never use.

In all cases they are stored horizontally.

• Like 1

I remember hearing that upside down is better, I just don't happen to trust those little caps on the end not to fall off.  I also just finally ordered some pink soap.  Using master's brush cleaner was a big step up for me, I had been using dish soap.

Now I feel like a creeper for storing my brushes upside down :(

I'm fairly confident that storing them bristles-down is the best way, as that ensures that moisture/paint is less likely to hang out in the ferrule area, but alas that's not really an option for me. Things that get stored upright have a very high chance of getting knocked over (as evidenced by all of the pencil cups we've tried to have), due to the fact that every horizontal surface in our apartment is used constantly. So, for me right now, horizontal is safer.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now