Roleplaying groups and organizing games

red5angel

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We play till everyone agrees they are tired of the world we are in and want something new. We go from a European theme world to maybe a Arabian/India environment. This is so we don't get burned out you could say. Thought we've had some for a long period of time befor; about a year. Though some people will say that isn't much. ::P:

In our group we have a couple of different ongoing campaigns, headed by different DMs: a "primary" campaign, and a "secondary" campaign (they even have their own names: Blackrazors and Redshirts). We switch off depending on attendance, mood, and importance. Within these campaigns some members of the group will run their own adventures, usually side quests not directly tied into the main story line (additionally, in the main campaign we have 2 teams: the "A" team and the "B" team, which vary in power level, thus expanding our gaming options). FREX, I'm currently running the game in a side quest for the B team.

The cool thing is that all of the above adventures happen in the same setting, same world: that of the Greyhawk setting. There's enough room in the setting that we can do pretty much whatever we need; that's the nice thing about a "generic" setting. It also has the detail we've added over the years for truly "epic" quests and subtleties.

Finally, I also run a campaign in the Fading Suns setting put out by Holistic (great game, great setting). This we play mostly on-line.

We have a website at: www.nuketown.com/griff

Damon.

Well, with my group, we have a few campaigns. The 'main' one I run we've gone through twice. Made low-levels, play them, went Epic with them, started new characters. (the Paladin of the first group is now worshipped by other Paladins, Some people have St. Cuthbert, we have St. Brightblade).

It's been interesting to be able to reference things that happened with one group to the other (the current running gag is 'The Black Rage of Ulfgar' Noone knows what happened, but something did happen...)

--lstormhammer

Well, with my group, we have a few campaigns. The 'main' one I run we've gone through twice. Made low-levels, play them, went Epic with them, started new characters. (the Paladin of the first group is now worshipped by other Paladins, Some people have St. Cuthbert, we have St. Brightblade).

It's been interesting to be able to reference things that happened with one group to the other (the current running gag is 'The Black Rage of Ulfgar' Noone knows what happened, but something did happen...)

--lstormhammer

I have a DM who likes to occaisionally toss out a curse or two at the characters. This makes for interesting RP. Of course the DM has everything taking place in the land of Dyrrte, oddly something that looks akin to the Scottish Highlands. The only people without Scottish names are the players.

My current Hackmaster campaign has only been going on for 8 months or so. My longest is 3 years of a single Earthdawn campaign, with mostly the same players. One of the players has since started his own game, set in that campaign, and between another player and myself, we were able to actually provide information on almost everything that happened in the campaign.

I ran a Twilight 2000 campaign for almost four years. Players came and went, and most of that group is gone now. I'm now running Call of Cthulhu for Unglef and GG. I'll stick it out till we're all crazy. we already have a 'side adventure" running in that one.

Kevin is running a good D&D campaign for us now. The module is flawed, in many ways, but he has done wonders, and the game is really beginning to pick up steam. We'll see how far we can go. If we complete the campaign, we're planning a massive dungeon crawl.

lstormahammer, I have done that with my own campaigns from time to time. Mixed history one group has created with new characters. It's always fun for players to see the marks their old characters left.

The switching campaigns with two DM's sounds cool. I wish one of my players was interested in running a game or two but none so far show any real interest.

I play in 3 different campaigns.

Primary game is about 4+ years in Forgotten Realms and I can only play when an old buddy of mine comes back during vacation from his Doctorit Degree program.

This is the serious drama style roleplaying with medium combat.

Secondary game is an Arcana Unearthed game once a month. We're trying to get this off the ground and do some serious roleplaying cause this group is fed up of generic games and stale combat all the time.

3rd game is every other weekend with die hard hackers. Game settings always seems to change cause they can never settle into a game. Hackmaster was fun with them. But it's mainly something for us to vent and get our weekly agressions out from the grind of work.

You know, I had a long answer, but in the 4 games that I'm in, we just play. We prefer long term campaigns, but too much planning can feel like you are being "railroaded".

There may be a plan, but you never know what will sidetrack the group or even if your plan for the group is what they want. I've been in campaigns that have lasted for 3 years, some had a plan and some didn't. I don't think it matters much what the plan is, as long as you have fun in the game.

Our current campaign is has started it's 11th year. We took about 2 year's off to try other things (gm's) but still discussed it during that time. We were thinking about starting over but with our current pcs being well knowns in the area. The knew character will kinda see them as "legends"

btw the highest level character is 12th

personally I would love to actually play a game. It's been about 6 years since I have got to be on that side of the screen and that was briefly, before that I went about 4 years. ::(:

I feel your pain. The only time I've actually played (instead of ran) a game was almost a year ago when a friend of mine ran a Star Wars RPG for about 5 sessions. I'm not a real big SW fan(especially since the crappy prequels came out), but it was fun to play again, if only for a short while. The guy was supposed to run a game of Heroes Unlimited for us, but then his wife re-enlisted in the Army, and they moved. Bummer, my character was going to be a Lycanthrope who was the reincarnation of the wolf god Fenrir. That would've been fun. He did say to hold onto my character, though, in case he comes to visit.

Oh, prior to the SW sessions, it's been about 10 yrs. since I've played any RPG. :blink:

My Sunday gaming groups are pretty cut throat about showing up. If you miss more than 2 sessions you better have a durn good reason or we will ask you to leave.

It's simple respect for the other people in the group. If you have something come up, then make sure everyone knows you have conflicting plans far enough in advance. Sounds harsh, but it helps to keep the group together.