After long a absence from my Bones (new: Quicky with Sister Marie)

Teskal

Thanks. I like how I got the face, too. This Dwarf Wizard must be a big fan of Elminster from the Forgotten Realms.

If somone could help me, I cannot find out what the dwarf wizard has on the top of his bag. I painted it red in the moment, but I'm not really satisfied about it.

I could't find a good painted version of him showing this part. :-(

Could somone tell me more?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people get all defensive about bones not needing primer, but you would really benefit from using primer and watering your paints down more.  Your painting is really good but there is way too much paint caked on.  Its admirable how much attention you pay to detail on the dwarf and ogre especially.  To then see all that detail have a crusty quality when it would have dried so much smoother and more natural its a shame.  Please try a light coat of primer and watering down all your paints at least 2 to 1 on your next bones and post the results.  With the patience you obviously have it should come out great.

Edited by Ted Kord
  • Like 1

I assumed it was a glass flask.  Slendertroll is right, accenting that the very end in tan to make it look cork sells it.  I put a touch of glaze to sell it as glass myself but yours is already pretty shiny. I have seen glass flasks that look like that before.  The added ring of glass makes it more durable. Going Metallic with the head on the staff was a cool choice.  It makes it look so much more formidable. 

Edited by Ted Kord
  • Like 1

I will try to use more water in my paints. I'm watering it more down more often, but forget it often, too. I have few reaper paints which I'm afraid to water down, because they break so fast.

Next mini will get a slight coat of primer. But I have many bones which have already paint on them. But will mention it in the posting of the next mini which got the primer base coat and mostly watered down paints.

It's not that they don't need primer; it's that primer actually doesn't bond with the Bones material as well as, say, Brown Liner does. It's more liable to chip or wear off than straight paint, so I recommend against it if you're going to use them for gaming at all. But yes, thin your paints (except the first layer).

I have never used brownliner, I use Games Workshop spraycan primer and have never had problems plus it goes on much thinner and I feel leaves a better texture for working with thinned paints.  A lot of people use primer from the hardware store which is a terrible idea.  I used hardware store primer and found it goes on way to thick and really piles up in the cracks.

Edited by Ted Kord

I really like what you did with Gandwarf, hehe. The robe is especially nice.

An aside from a flask, you could also paint that little doo-dad up as an arcane magical time-telling device.

Yeah, I was thinking compass or that kind of device but it would be very difficult to sell it.  There isnt enough room within the ring to do anything.  I think flask had to be the sculptors intention.  That way you just make it look like colored glass or paint the cork.   ....Plus, I personally love characters with bottles, pirates commonly have them.  The chance to having items with the appearance of different textures really helps make it look alive.   :blush:   *nerd moment.* 

• Like 1

The mold line on the dress is a bear.  I painted her last year and had a heck of a time with it. Outside of the mold line, you did a great job with this strumpet. 

I especially like that you went with such a bright pastel in the open skirt portion, and the leg actually shows up very well despite being similar tonal values.  Good work!

Don't worry, I am the same way!

I don't get too hung up on mold lines.  The blatant ones I remove, the rest I tend to leave alone.

edit:  I really need to watch how I type (my sincere apologies, that appears harsher than I intended)..  The mini is very well painted.  The mold line does not bother me.

Edited by Darkmeer