Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

77135: Mariel Twinspar, Pirate (Bones)

The fifth and last of the five Bones pirates and an experiment in quick painting.

post-8022-0-10031600-1396528517.jpg post-8022-0-53875200-1396528525.jpg

post-8022-0-17953700-1396528537.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 19

All of these are great for fast paint ups.  I would like to see them with more of a matte finish.  The shine is distracting. 

• Like 2

Nice quick paints.

A general observation, using this thread as a summation of the five paint jobs; I know these are quick paints, but your art education shows. Nice use of color as always and interesting brushwork. However, the metallics stand out as subpar, as if someone else came in and painted those for you. I'm speaking specifically about the swords on the minis that have them out, but also to a lesser extent on the metallics in general.

As I said, I know they're quick paints and it's not a big deal. Just that the rest of your 'quick paint' is so outstanding that it's jarring to see the metallics so bland.

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing your work Pingo, you have a very non-traditional style of painting up your figures that make them look more like little pieces of art rather than someone trying to do all the techniques perfectly to make them look super realistic. It's always interesting to see your take on these figures.

• Like 2

@Cash, I did a double-take and then concluded that the sword is probably not yet drawn.

That's why I referred to those who have them out. :)
  • Like 1

Ah, apologies.  I did look at all of them (I think) and it is true that the swords are all standard metallic paint.  Having never tried NMM, I'm not sure whether it could ever fit into the category of "speed paint". 

I would be interested in knowing what Pingo's definition of "quick" is, however.  Inquiring minds, and all that.  ^_^

• Like 2

Dontfear: I agree about the satin finish. I'm still working on getting a matte finish on minis, and for some reason Bones seem a little more resistant to it, at least for the techniques I've been using. I may take photos before putting on the sealer next time.

Cash: Thank you. I think you're right about the swords. I suspect my metallic painting is still stuck as it was when I was a teenager, and although I have experimented with it a little bit, for fast painting I reverted to my old ways. I will give it some thought.

LittleBluberry: I painted these in two sessions of two or three hours each. For me that's fast. There was an extra half hour or so spread over two days sealing with gloss and then matte medium.

The other four Bones pirates are:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54273-77131-finaela-female-elf-pirate-bones/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54279-77132-barnabus-frost-pirate-captain-bones/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54280-77133-gruff-grimecleaver-dwarf-pirate-duergar-bones/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54281-77134-hajad-pirate-bones/

• Like 2

Cash: Thank you. I think you're right about the swords. I suspect my metallic painting is still stuck as it was when I was a teenager, and although I have experimented with it a little bit, for fast painting I reverted to my old ways. I will give it some thought.

It's Easy*! Just paint it how you would with regular paint. There are some areas that look good (the highlight and shading on Mariel's bell guard for instance), so just work on more like that and you'll be fine.

* Suggestion not easy and suggested by a party with very little experience in the requisite techniques.

• Like 3

Bones get ridiculously shiney from just painting them.  I find the only thing that works is matte spray.  just pick a warm dry day or else it can be trouble.

• Like 2