Cave Entrance - How would you build it?

the rustoleum is designed to not melt. I think it's an acrylic based medium, where most of the others are a somewhat easier to manufacture, I'm going to say oil based but I'm not sure, suspended in a solvent that keeps it liquid. Since the foam is also an oil based product it does the same to it, and melts it. I know a few terrain makers who have actually taken advantage of that to creat some very interesting weathered looks on things, but you gotta know what you're doing or get lucky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late to this party, but I use Foamular 4'x8' sheets at 1/2" thickness (about $8/sheet).  I pick them up at Home Depot and get them to chop them in half for me so they'll fit in the car.  I cut them with an exacto, easy with a 1/2" thickness, and glue them together with plain white glue.  To texturize it, plaster or coarse pumice gel (you don't want to just glue on sand, it'll be too flat, get something that you can build up and shape a bit).  Typically plaster, it's cheap as dirt.

• Like 3

So after I ordered the woodland scenics foam I got a notice from FedEx that they had damaged the package during the delivery process and were returning it to the seller, I contacted Amazon and they issued me a refund for it. Later that day I ended up going over to Home Depot and getting the 2'x2' sheet at 1" thickness for about $5.50. Yesterday and last night I started the gluing process using Aleene's Tacky glue as suggested. When I get home tonight I'll start cutting into it and getting the base looking good. Still need to start work on the actual miniature(s) which will go into the scene as well. 

Thanks again for all of your help and advice on how to go about helping me create this scene everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

So after I ordered the woodland scenics foam I got a notice from FedEx that they had damaged the package during the delivery process and were returning it to the seller, I contacted Amazon and they issued me a refund for it. Later that day I ended up going over to Home Depot and getting the 2'x2' sheet at 1" thickness for about $5.50. Yesterday and last night I started the gluing process using Aleene's Tacky glue as suggested. When I get home tonight I'll start cutting into it and getting the base looking good. Still need to start work on the actual miniature(s) which will go into the scene as well. 

Thanks again for all of your help and advice on how to go about helping me create this scene everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

That damaged package would have probably still been usable.  :upside:  You were gonna crumble it up and cut it anyway.

I have had excellent luck texturing Owen Corning's Foamular with rocks. Just mash them into the foam and 'damage' it a bit. It may depend on the type of rock, though. I use basalt gravel.

basalt.jpg It is a volcanic rock. It is very hard.

Generally has shard-like edges. And a fine micro-texture. All of which will transfer to pristine Foamular.

I visit places that sell it by the cubic yard. But if I just fill a plastic cup or something, sometimes they just charge me a buck, sometimes they just give it away, calling it a sample.

(Sometimes they ask what it is for... And this is one of those situations where I usually wind up muttering something about "...model railroad layouts..." It is interesting how almost everybody likes puppies, kittens and model trains.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

I just happened on this thread searching for some ideas for a cave interior or stone ruins sort of base, and would like to thank everyone for some really great ideas!! I especially like the Gorilla Glue for building up rocks idea. I totally hadn't thought of that, and it's one of the things I always have on hand!