Westerly, Oregon Trail-like Board Game

Reaperbryan

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010758051/westerly-the-threeboot

A friend of mine is backing this, and we agree that we do not each nee a copy, but I want to do my part, so here it is!

It looks like a ridiculously awesome fun game. There's 3 game play videos and reviews, and if those don't convince you, I promise to give Buglips directions to your house and tell him you have a bottle of Partha Paint unless you back it!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep going back and forth on this. I've had it starred since the launch of the first one, might have grabbed an early bird on the first project (I considered it for sure), and backed the second one, but haven't backed it again (yet?). I like the concept, but worry about the judgment shown in making the steampunk cthulhu zombie expansion.

I keep going back and forth on this. I've had it starred since the launch of the first one, might have grabbed an early bird on the first project (I considered it for sure), and backed the second one, but haven't backed it again (yet?). I like the concept, but worry about the judgment shown in making the steampunk cthulhu zombie expansion.

As an expansion, it's optional, but it also has mass appeal to people who like to add zombies, Steampunk elements, or Lovecraft to everything.  It's one thing I would consider a must have, and is a major enticement for me, as much as it is a turn-off for you.  To each his own.

As an expansion, it's optional, but it also has mass appeal to people who like to add zombies, Steampunk elements, or Lovecraft to everything.  It's one thing I would consider a must have, and is a major enticement for me, as much as it is a turn-off for you.  To each his own.

Yep. I just don't cotton to the weird west stuff, so those expansions are an odd sign. If they really are just expansions to a (relatively) straight-forward game, fine. But if the game also has some of the sensibility of those expansions, it might sit wrong for me.  I'm pleasantly surprised that there don't seem to be hipster jokes.

Edited by KevinR

I'm "The Friend" who backed it, and while I agree, the expansions are definitely targetted at more fringe audiences, the core game seems to me to be pretty true to the Westward expansion theme. I haven't seen anything in the preview cards about anything "inexplicable." I think the expansions are the only place where the outside elements show up.

I backed the Reboot, and now the Threeboot (which I think is a hilarious term in and of itself). I watch every day to see how far it's climbed and it's just such a slow progress. Even if you're not backing it yourself, it can't hurt anything to share the project around and get some more eyes on it. If you haven't watched their promo video where one of the characters ends up playing an infant, then you should at least check that out. The game looks genuinely fun and entertaining.